Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 01/11/2008, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Biocube, Nanocube, or Aquapod?

hey everyone,

I'm about to go hunting for a new saltwater tank now that I'm finally settled in from moving.

Now..here goes my question. I know that there are always personal preferences, but I was wondering what your guys' opinions on the biocube, aquapod, or nanocube. I have been reading several reviews and it seems that the biocube tends to be the more popular choice. When I was working at the LFS, it seemed that we were always replacing the hoods on nanocubes, but not biocubes. As for the aquapods, we only carried those for a short while and they were not very popular. I'm still in the decision process on one of these set ups because I like the clean look that the all in one tanks have. Now, on the otherhand, I wouldn't mind setting up my own 20G H, because I like how those look too. Thanks in advance!

Dustin
Old 01/11/2008, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Dustin

I was doing similar research all over regarding the same thing.

I basically rule out the Aquapod pretty quickly for a few reasons...number one being the display area is slightly narrower than the other 2 styles.

I have owned 3 Nanocubes in the past so my research on the Biocube was all I had to do.

I think its a matter of personal preference in style between the two. I think the Nanocube has a better looking profile overall but the Biocube seemed to have slightly larger rear chambers...important because I want to make a refugium back there.

I think if you ask on most of the nano boards and hardcore nanoreefers they will tell you to go with OTHER types of tanks...the all-in-ones dont seem to be the popular choice only because of the perceived lack of customizability.

You will hear Finnex and CAD thrown around as well.

Personally I think I decided on the 29g Biocube for a few reasons. I like the overall look of the tank plus I like the ability to upgrade lighting (with help from nanocustoms.com)

For me the all-in-one is the way to go. Having a reef tank is a hobby for me but its not a "lifestyle".
Old 01/11/2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

the only one I have owned is the aquapod and I love it. You need to upgrade the return pump and lighting. But when thats all done Its a great tank.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:01 PM
Zoa Fanatic

I would rank them

1-biocube
2-nanocube
3-aquapod.

Unless you got the sunpod with the aquapod, then i'd rank them
1-MH aquapod
2-biocube
3-nanocube
Old 01/11/2008, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

i have a 1 year old bio cube 8, i love it it replaced my cracked nanocube that was 3 weeks old.