Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/24/2006, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by diddye
Payton? Non-existent.
He sure was. Kobe took him out of his game. Oh, forgot they were teamates.
Old 01/24/2006, 05:32 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
the only reason shaq scored "so much" was because they focused the defense on kobe while leaving shaq covered by one piston. Also, shaq rarely got in good position(due to laziness and conditioning) where he could get the ball to score. The rest of the lakers sucked too so they couldn't get shaq the ball. Payton? Non-existent. If shaq wanted the ball, maybe he should take it upon himself to actually get some rebounds during that season.
What game were you watching? Shaq cried for the ball, Phil demanded Shaq get the ball but there was Kobe, in his own little world, not wanting to share the spotlight with anybody! Brick City, here we come!

Funny how you Kobe lovers have no problem calling Shaq lazy and outta shape. I have no problem with that because the shoe fit at times. But when Shaq was on, he was unstoppable! YOU same Kobe lovers get so offended when anybody talks about his ball hoggin' style. If the shoe fits.....

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 01/24/2006, 05:37 PM
Moved Onward

Re: 81 pts... UNREAL

Quote:
Originally posted by ghever
Kobe bashers think he is a ball hog...have you seen his supporting cast? When you shoot 60%, you should shoot every shot.
The thing is, he shoots 45%! When your not shooting the lights out, give it up! Obviously now, he has no one to give it up too, hence 81pts.
Once again, as a Laker fan, I root for the team. Kobe had a great night but I know once the game is over, they're still mediocrity as a team. Think about it, 18pts down to the lowly Raptors! That's what we should be more concerned about. Yeah, it's great to have a player like Kobe on your team. I just hope the Lakers can play as a whole team someday.

Old 01/24/2006, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang
What game were you watching? Shaq cried for the ball, Phil demanded Shaq get the ball but there was Kobe, in his own little world, not wanting to share the spotlight with anybody! Brick City, here we come!
Ditto on above. Shaq is THE BEST!! And Will BE THE BEST!!!! Center to go down.

Though his last two years with the lakers he gained 60 lbs of fat not muscle and gaev the imprecssion he was staring to slack off,he is and is an unstoppable player and those are the type of people that should be respected . To be unstoppable at a game at a high level of competition liek in the NBA, you need to give props to any man doing damage simply because u need to work for it, some NBA players arent born with it.

Though some NBA players are in teh league cuz of their height! Kwame Brown, Shawn Bradley etc etc etc I can go on for ever!

SHAQ Kobe future hall of famers! Just wish Shaq could have gone in as a Laker?
Old 01/24/2006, 06:17 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by My F1sh R D34D!
SHAQ Kobe future hall of famers! Just wish Shaq could have gone in as a Laker?
I whole-heartedly agree! I definitely wanted Shaq to retire a Laker.

Old 01/24/2006, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Shaq unstoppable? That big toe seemed to stop him quite often. Unfortunately for the Shaq lovers out there, he has a flaw in his character. Once he becomes content, he get's quite lazy. That is why he lost all that weight last year, he had something to prove. but the better the team did the more he slacked off the diet. The talent and physical ability is there but the desire to be great has left him.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 01/24/2006, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang

Funny how you Kobe lovers have no problem calling Shaq lazy and outta shape. I have no problem with that because the shoe fit at times. But when Shaq was on, he was unstoppable! YOU same Kobe lovers get so offended when anybody talks about his ball hoggin' style. If the shoe fits.....
Unstoppable as in kobe was triple teamed while ben or sheed single covered shaq and he still had trouble getting position? I'm sorry, but if you outweigh ben by 100 lbs and a foot, you need to dominate by getting 40 points and 20 rebounds. The only thing he increased was his shooting-22 pts to 27 pts.

His rebounds dropped from 12 to 11, assists from 3 to 1.5, blocks from 2.5 to .5.

Basically, the whole team did worse due to malones absence. Instead of malone, we had luke and slava guarding sheed. They did the jordan rules on kobe. No doubt kobe did very bad, but he had a great season and playoffs(except for the finals). What good does it do if shaq gets the ball 15 feet away from the hoop. Then he has to reposition himself b/c he has no jumpshot.

All in all, if malone didn't get injured all would be great in lakerland. Lakers would have won the finals. Malone, shaq, payton would all still be lakers even if kobe and shaq dont like each other.
Old 01/24/2006, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Toe injuries hurt like a mofo. I broke my toenail and couldnt even play for 2 games. So imagine a 7'1 340lbs dude on a tiny toe.PIANFULL!

Wait then again his toe might be the size of my foot? Hmmm

Well all Im saying is hes proven hes great, but untill someone comes along where they start comparing him to like Yao hell just lace up smash on em and say what was the people of the world??!! NEXT!!!!. Thats what hes done all his career. David Robinson, Hakeem, all left the game whe Shaq was a yunggin would have been awesome to c them stay to play against shaq in his prime.

Add Yao Ming to that list above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01/24/2006, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

shaq had an ingrown toenail! Tell him to buy some clippers w/ that massive contract of his. Get a pedicure instead of painting your nails shaq!
Old 01/24/2006, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Shaq just may be the biggest underacheiver the NBA has ever seen. That statement also takes into account the 3 championships he was a part of with the Lakers

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 01/24/2006, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Less we forget about that infamous toenail, remember what Shat said about it, "I got hurt on company time, I'll recover on company time". Thats why he waited until two weeks before training camp to have the surgery, assuring he'll miss the first part of the season.

And how much was he getting paid again?! Just imagine the uproar if "selfish" Kobe had done the same.
Old 01/24/2006, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

In grown toe nail...big deal. I had the same problem and a simple surgery take care of that forever. He is just a big crying baby all the time. He is probably one of the most dominate center ever, but he complaints just a bit too much for his stature. I love him, but I would never offer him $100mil for 3 years if I were J Buss.
Old 01/25/2006, 12:56 AM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

I missed the game. Anybody knows where I can download it?
Old 01/25/2006, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

DUDE ITS ON RIGHT NOW!!!!!
Old 01/25/2006, 04:18 AM
Moved Onward

Shaq only underachieved on the FT line. Easy to pick on a guy who is on the tail-end of his career. Shaq's played 13yrs in the NBA and still putting up big numbers despite his so-called lazy attitude. Wilt played 13yrs and his numbers were falling drastically the last couple of years. Without Shaq, Lakers don't come close to winning those 3 Championships.
Kobe looks real good now in his prime but I'd never draft him over Shaq to build my franchise!
Talk about a guy who has flaws in his character, if you choose to cheat on your wife and get caught, don't go narking on another player for doing the same! Wimpy in my book!

Old 01/25/2006, 04:20 AM
Registered Member

Enough about football. Let's talk about reefs...muahahah
Old 01/25/2006, 04:22 AM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Unstoppable as in kobe was triple teamed while ben or sheed single covered shaq and he still had trouble getting position? I'm sorry, but if you outweigh ben by 100 lbs and a foot, you need to dominate by getting 40 points and 20 rebounds. The only thing he increased was his shooting-22 pts to 27 pts.
Imagine how many more points he'd have if Kobe ever got the ball to him! He'd get his 40pts then. Kobe so selfish, even with 3 guys on him, he still kept throwing up the bricks instead of playing smart and looking for the open guy since he obviously had 3 on him the whole time like you mentioned!

Old 01/26/2006, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
BTW, I'm no MJ fan! I single-handedly blame him for the type of basketbal we see today because everyone wants "To Be Like Mike". To much "I" in basketball today. [/B]
The difference between MJ and most of the players in the league now (Tim Duncan excluded), is Jordan learned to win didnt require he always take the shot. I followed Jordan his entire career. After he took his beatings from Detroit, he learned no matter how good he was he would never win a championship by himself. Watch his championship runs. Each time another player stepped up to be pivotal. Jordan drew the defenders and allowed others to take the shots. Kobe hasnt learned that lesson. 81 points are an accomplishment, but they will never get you a championship. Chamberlain has the highest scoring average for a season, but he never won a championship those years. Bill Russell beat him repeatedly because he had a great team.

"All things thru Him"
Old 01/27/2006, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

yeah they did have a good team (bill russell and jordan) didn't they?

too bad when kobe scored 81 points they didn't double team.....until like the last couple of minutes.

stop the comparisons......someone delete this thread....
Old 01/27/2006, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

firerock....love your "updated" avatar! *wink *wink
Old 01/27/2006, 04:24 PM
I yam what I yam

Here's a little interesting reading for all you Kobe fans.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11046657/site/newsweek/

And for those who aren't.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 01/27/2006, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Ok guys everyones been talking.

Round II Today agains the Warriors and somewhat a starting rivalry since their a top west coast baller team.

Kobe will have to have a good game to keep all the Kobe haters from comparing it to the 81 point game.

Kobe walks into this game with pressure from the media.

Go Kobe!

You can do it!
Old 01/27/2006, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

I hope not too many people are expecting some 70+ points from him again. It was one of the greatest single player achievement, but that won't solve Lakers' true problem: lack of depth. When Lakers play well within the triangle offense, they are quite competitve. But if Lakers is going for that one point offense again, I doubt we will make it to the playoff. I mean, it was a great game, but I would rather have a more balanced game. Go Lakers!!!
Old 01/27/2006, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

GO LAKERS!!!! Yeah....we need two people every night to step it up!

Someone help me w/ a laker avatar :/
Old 01/27/2006, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

jamone, what kind of Lakers avatar are you looking for?