Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona-Sierra Vista/Tucson Reef Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

chaeto

Does anyone have any chaeto they want to get rid of in the sierra vista area?
Old 12/09/2007, 11:24 PM
Cancer Sucks

I wish I had some to give you. I need some myself. Wow, 7 posts in 4 years?

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/09/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

If your coming to Tucson I'll hold some for you. Gonna do a water change and throw out about 2 lbs of cheato tomorrow. If not I'll have some for the Jan. get together, lmk
Old 12/10/2007, 02:30 AM
Always Learning

Dude thats a lot of chaeto, how big is your refuge?

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 12/10/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Small but high flow, throw out about a quart every 2 weeks or so, depending on how I feed. It's a mini reef, with mysid shrimp and all kinds of pods.
Old 12/10/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Yo John dont throw that away I would love to have it for my new tank...

Michael
Old 12/10/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Give me a call next time your close, I'll just thin it out.
Old 12/10/2007, 05:40 PM
Always Learning

I have some too, so if anyone needs some I can give some to you.

Old 01/02/2008, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I am brand new to this hobby and just set up my 24g NanoCube. I've been curious about chaeto. Could someone assist me in deciding if it would be good for my tank and maybe I could get some that you might be throwing out? Any help would be appreciated and I will be starting a new thread with pics and info of my set up very soon. Thanks!
Old 01/02/2008, 01:43 PM
Always Learning

Chaeto is a macro algae that is often placed in refugiums for nutrient export. I have seen it used in nanos, but it isn't very good looking so most people don't like it in the display. Start a new thread so that we can see all the cool stuff you got for christmas. This is a small community and many of the members will bend over backwards to help you out.

Old 01/02/2008, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

I started a new thread in the Nano section, here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1284330 not sure if the link will work, but you can always copy and paste. I would really appreciate any information, help, guidance, etc. I am really trying to be patient before adding anything, but haven't really been able to get an exact and straight answer about when it's ok, and I see all these people setting their tanks and adding fish and stuff the next day. I know thats too soon, but my LR and water came from an up and running system and I bought the LS with the water in the bag thats supposed to have all the good stuff alive inside. I hope all this will help shorten the cycle time.

A day after I set up the tank here are the readings I got (keep in mind it was my first time using a test kit).
Nitrate: 40
Nitrite: 0.50
Amonia: 0
ph: 7.8
1.026 S.G. (seems high, but like I said, I got this water premixed and running in an established system. could be the hydrometer i guess. planning on getting a refractometer in the near future.)

Please respond with any insight. Thanks!!!
Old 01/03/2008, 03:08 AM
Premium Member

If any of you guys still have some Chaeto Left, I would love some!! Please let me know, and you can contact me at 520-360-1650. Thanks!!
Old 01/04/2008, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

A couple of questions, if you don't mind. Since the thread is titled simply Chaeto, I thought this might be an OK place to ask although most of the thread has been about needing Chaeto.

1. What kind of light is needed to grow chaeto?

2. Since my tank is just starting and still cycling, I thought about putting some in like a breading thing that still lets the water flow but sections an area off. I also saw people use a suction thing that is supposed to be used in ths sink to hold a sponge while it dries. Anyway I thought about putting this in the main tank while I decide how to modify one of the back chambers as a refugium. Would this work even temporarily?

3. Is it to soon to put some in my tank?

4. Does anyone in the Tucson area have some I can get?
Old 01/04/2008, 03:57 PM
Always Learning

When I get back into Tucson from San Francisco I am sure I will have a massive amount. PM me whoever wants some and I will bring it to the frag auction on the 13th.

Nano- I wouldn't worry about it being too soon to put chaeto in, although if you don't have much in the tank you won't see much growth. It can also take a month or two for chaeto to settle in and start growing nicely. Anything that can be used to hold the chaeto will work. But you may want to build a refuge for it in the future. It seems more established tanks get more benefit than new tanks. I think that its because they have nutrients that haven't been removed with skimming or with water changes.

Old 01/07/2008, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the offer McCrary. "ZooKeeeper" was kind enough to share some of his and even come by and share some expertise for my new nano. See you at the frag auction.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:26 PM
Always Learning

No problem, good to hear that you got some. I am going to bring a couple baggies as I just got in to Tucson and I could definitely get rid of some.

Old 01/07/2008, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Good to hear as I could use some.