Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 11:49 PM
Lap San

great price on coleman generator at HD

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

was 599.00 now 399.00
Old 12/12/2007, 01:00 AM
Reef Cowboy

That's a deal.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

Does that thing make a lot of noise??
Old 12/12/2007, 11:54 AM
AEFW Assasinator

All generators will make a bit of noise.

The Honda generators (EU series) are some of the nicer ones out there as well as the Yamaha generators.

Ebay sometimes will have the Honda (EU) knock-offs available as well.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I just wondering if this one is noiser than others.. It's nice to have a generator at home but if it's too noise, the dude next door might not like it ..
Old 12/12/2007, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

The Honda Eu series is about as quiet as your going to get. I've slept 10' away from one being used at 1/4 load and 30' away from 1/2 load. If I can sleep thru that camping outside, my neighbors won't have any problems sleeping 30' inside their house
Old 12/12/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

I like the Honda EU series. it's quiet and very compact compares to the Coleman, but it costs much more than $400. IMO, the Coleman is good enough for home use. probably use it only a few times a year. For camping, Honda would be my choice.
Old 12/13/2007, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

You can also build a baffle box if necessary to lower the noise. Basically something to enclose the genny, but still allow some form of ventilation to it so it doesn't overhear. Typically, a plywood box would suffice.

Old 12/13/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

I would shy away from all generators except for Yamahas (for generators below 3-5 kw). I was in the same boat and started shopping for gens. What i've learned is that you don't want a gas generator because the gas will break down and clog the carbs. So what you want is something that can store for a long time without maintanence. Basically you want a gen that can be converted easily to run on natural gas or propane (what good is a generator if its broken when you need it most?) OR runs on diesel. Hondas don't convert very well to run on natural gas, propane and still run on gasoline. Diesel generators can get loud and they generally don't come in very small sizes.

Yamaha is one of the very few that is quiet , and can run on all 3 fuels easily. Remember when there is an emergency the first thing everyone does is go get gas. I think I've seen yamaha's fully converted for about $1k or you can shop craigslist.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Actually if you did get the coleman gens you can buy a conversion kit.
5kw for $400 isn't bad. The conversion kit would be an additional $200.

http://www.propane-generators.com/tecumseh.htm

As a reference I paid $1300 for my yamaha (used) and its 3kw. I paid another 187 for the conversion kit.