Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/06/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

feeding newly hatch clowns (fry) Question

i know there are alot of books out there on feeding and breeding clowns but i wanted the opinion from people breeding and feeding now the question is

i was told you could feed newly hatched clowns (fry) DRIED YEAST up to they will eat live brine shrimp any one ever heard of this being done or done it successful all opinon on this would be helpful
Old 11/07/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

Are you talking about feeding larvae or fry (after metamorphosis)? From what I have read, there is a formula of a non-live food, but I think it is based on pulverized spirulina (from Wilkerson's book). Where did you come across using dried yeast? That would be real fine, if it works, since it is inexpensive and readily available.
Old 11/07/2007, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

I don't think that yeast would be nutritional enough for the larvae or for the fry.
Old 11/07/2007, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

You can use yeast to keep rotifers alive. I've never heard of feeding it directly to fry though.
According to Wilkerson's book rotifers can survive on yeast, but the nutritional requirements of the fry would not be met if fed these rotifers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 11/07/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

You not gonna have much success with dry food,

The dry food formula its based on pellet food pulverized and fed to the larvae, i was there when Joyces reference happened.

yeast will keep rotifers fine but you will have to enrich prior to feeding the larvae.

Get some rotifers.

E