Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling

Old 12/10/2007, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Question on Scuba School and class

I went to a Pre-counsel session and I got the following information and do you think it is a good deal?

Price $525 for all the classes
6 - 2 hrs Classroom sessions
5 - 2 hrs pool sessions
I will need to purchase Mask, Fin, Snorkel, Hood, and Gloves from this school. Around $300 - $500 in gears.

1 Freshwater Open Water 2 day sessions
2 whole day

1 Ocean Open water Dive (All below in 1 day)
1 Morning session
1 Evening session
1 Night session

1 advanced Navigation session

I am not sure if I am required to purchase more equipments from them, but I can rent from them ($70 a day so its $280, but ½ goes toward purchasing their merchandises.) or have layaway from them.

SSI certificate included if pass all exams.

I don’t like the idea to have to purchase equipments from a specific shop. Since they might not have what I like or the brand or style I want, that means it is additional money wasted if I have to buy a second set.

What do you think? Go or No.

Thanks

RIP - Steve Irwin, My hero. You will always be remembered.
Old 12/10/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

I took my class through a Community College for about $300. That included all classroom work and pool sessions and 3 open water dives in a rock quarry. All equipment use/air fills were included in the class. I paid $50 for the access to the rock quarry for the weekend and maybe $10 to rent a wet suit. I also drove 1.5 hours each way to the quarry. ($40 gas)

Total $400

That's in a small town in Illinois, so maybe that is a good comparison for you.
Old 12/10/2007, 04:34 PM
10 & Over Club

Price for the class sounds right for NY, but the personal equipment prices sound a bit high. Shops out on the Island typically offer you a discount on buying equipment if you enroll in a class, but don't require you buy it from them.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/11/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

I agree, forcing you to buy from their shop isn't the norm, what if you already have mask fins and snorkel? Also 3-5 hundred seems a little high, good mask is $70-90.00, fins for my favorite are $59.00 (mares avanti quatro) on sale, snorkel $14.00 unless you buy one of the fancy ones, hood and glove set for $29-49.00 for set. That equals $172 on low end to $192 on high end. I'm in fl so maybe a bit higher in your area because you need higher mm for warmth, but still you can order from online cat for less then $300. Also in my area, all other equipment for class is provided in total price, not seperate, so check out what other classes offer. Shop around, you might find a better deal.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

trying to get a student to purchase their personal gear is absolutely the norm! Not much money is made from the class, its the equipment where the store makes a profit. As far as cost of personal gear... yeah you can buy a cheap mask, $70-90 is pretty decent, I however happen to dive Scuba Pro frameless $125! Not many students want padle fins. If they are budget minded, then fine they will buy, but usually when in the pool session, the instructor will say "here try out my split fins and you'll see why people will pay an extra $100" You would be surprised how many exchange their econo fins for splits after that. I personally prefer old fashion "jet" style fins ~$100. Snorkles, even basic ones are getting way overpriced, I don't use one (I do have it packed away somewhere) but as I remember most snorkels are about $30. Good gloves and about $30 and booties go from $30- $90 for the morino lined, street shoe sole style booties. So lets figure 80 for the mask 170 for the splits, 30 snorkle, 30 gloves 50 booties... $360 sure you can buy cheaper, but this is not top of the line gear, just good quality that would last.

Ask if the cost of the class includes the PIC or administrative paper work. Sometimes there is an extra charge for filing your paperwork with the dive agency. Does it include gear rental for pool, freshwater(???), and saltwater dives? Does it cover air fills, is there a boat charge?
Old 12/12/2007, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

David you hit right on the spot for the prices. This shop is authorized dealer for ScubaPro. Their personal item prices are followings. I dont mine paying for good gears as long as it is reasonable. I have not check out what is offered for these prices. But I saw alot of ScubaPro gears.

Price Range - Middle is what most people buys.
Boots
38 48 65

Mask
44 86 115

Snorkel
27 49 89

Fins
84 169 219

Weight Belt

Hood - I think it is 5mm to 7mm

Gloves - I think it is 5mm to 7mm

I think I will also ask those additional questions.

Thanks again

RIP - Steve Irwin, My hero. You will always be remembered.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

I have no problem with a school trying to get you to buy from them, just the forcing you to. That was my point, that and that if you shop around you might get a better deal, I've been diving for 26 years and I can't even begin to count how many people get cert and only do 1 or 2 dives, then quit. Not to mention how many people dive only once a year on vacation. To spend a huge amount of money on something you don't know if you will ever do again IMO isn't necessary. I also have never (in FL or in CA where I was cert and my girlfriend got cert last july) been charged a rental for the gear I need. I understand how the store makes a profit, but to not give the student a choice is where I have the problem.