Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/02/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

film camera class

for school i'm in a photography class and were using film cameras...it needs to be a 35mm SLR and come with 50mm lens. Im planning on taking some pics of the tank for class. Does anybody have any ideas of what kind i should use? any help would be great,
Old 09/02/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

35mm Camera

PM Sent
Old 09/03/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

I got some very decent results with the 1st camera I got: Zenit 125 TTL
Very old fully manual, used it with and external flash and learned how to get rid of reflections the hard way, also learned how to manually focu with it even if most of my sucesfful shots were taken by focusignn on an area and waiting for the fish to come in frame. Used to document each pictures: Aperture, Shutter speed, flash position,... and eagerly wait for the processing of the film.
I used a canon Eos 300n after it, didn't use it much but was more pleased with the speed of the Zenit lens I had as it was a 50mm 2.0 whereas the canon came with a 28-80 kit lens. not really bad but not just as fast and for sure not as sharp as a 50mm prime lens.
Years after going digital I found a Nikon F100 so I bougt it. Still have to shoot some tank shots with it however I'm very pleased with the results I get from it even though it doen not get used as much as the digital one.
Afterall you can buy whatever 35mm SLR you want and just buy a 50 mm for it as it will not cost too much. Most important is to buy from the same brand (Nikon, Canon,..) that you will be using in the future even if on digital as you can make use of the lenses you have as well as flashs and other accessories. it can always sereve yo uas backup body in the future so you better buy a good one especially that the pro SLR bodies sell for cheaper than some of the digital bodies meant for hobbyists now.
Old 09/03/2007, 05:11 AM
Premium Member

I had a canon eos 650 which I ended up with some gorgeous shots from! Bought it and sold in on eBay.
Old 09/03/2007, 08:42 AM
Wish coral grew faster

Old 35mm camera's work great and the lenses/cameras can be picked up very cheap.

Check out a local camera shop or KEH.com
Old 09/03/2007, 09:57 AM
On "The List"

if you have any pawnshops around, they can be a great place to find 35mm SLR bargains

good luck with your class!

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 09/03/2007, 10:01 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

You can buy a Rebel K2 body, with lens for less than $200 brand new:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_K2_35mm.html

While I agree that buying used can be the way to go, make sure that you buy something that uses the current lens mount system of whatever brand you buy. That way, if you decide to move to digital you don't have to start over.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 09/03/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

thanks everyone for the idea and suggestions! I'm planning on doing to my local camera shop and get a good used one for cheap. Our teacher said that usually the old ones are just as good if not better than newer ones because there aren't all of these bells and whistles. Although, i did go online and look at the Canon EOS elan lol