Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians

Old 08/21/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Mushroom reproduction

I just got my first shroom yesterday and i was wondering how the big mushroom makes small mushrooms and how long it takes.
Old 08/22/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

depends on the shroom really, ive had shrooms and ricords take off then some just do nothing....
Old 08/23/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

My very first mushroom, which is now just six months old, keeps moving jus slightly up the rock I have it on and as it moves it leaves little pieces behind that grow into new mushrooms. It's the only one I've left alone long enough to reproduce on its own, the rest I have helped by slicing them up.
Old 08/23/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Shrooms reproduce growing another mouth and splitting or by leaving a piece of its base which turns into a new shroom. Ive also heard people say their shrooms spit pieces of flesh out that grow into shrooms, but I havent experienced this myself.
School of 5 Green Chromis
Blue Morpho Tang
Yellow Tang
Pink Spotted Goby
Old 08/30/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

so if your mushroom is attached can you break it off the rock to help it reproduce, or will this just kill it
Old 08/31/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Cut it off the rock with a razor. The foot that is left will regrow another shroom. The cut piece can be reattached to rock by various methods. If you want a bunch of shrooms, cut the piece you cut from the foot into a bunch of pieces and just throw the mess in the tank. Wherever they decide to land you will have another shroom start.
Old 08/31/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Mushroom Reproduction

There's a pretty interesting article in Aug/Sep Coral Magazine demonstrating how to "force" Ricordia's to reproduce (or split). From what I gathered, it's done by cementing the Ricordias foot on some substrate, then cementing the Ricordia's petal to a separate piece of substrate. Position them so gravity assists the footed piece to separate itself from the cemented petal thus leaving two Ricordia's once it naturally seprates.

I'm trying one now...I'll let ya know if it works for me. I'm doing a Rainbow Ricordia...they go anywhere from $45 to $75 a piece here in Vegas so if I can get them to split myself.....might save a few bucks huh?

Cheers
Old 08/31/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

is there a link to this article
Old 08/31/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthFred6996
Cut it off the rock with a razor. The foot that is left will regrow another shroom. The cut piece can be reattached to rock by various methods. If you want a bunch of shrooms, cut the piece you cut from the foot into a bunch of pieces and just throw the mess in the tank. Wherever they decide to land you will have another shroom start.
will just throwing the cut pieces into the display tank effect my water quality risking hurting my other corals an anemone
Old 08/31/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Mushroom Repro

I don't think the mag is available on-line....only hard copy.
Old 08/31/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

explain then again what your attempting, your putting the base on one piece, and apart of the top of the mushroom on another setting this piece lower so gravity forces them to split.
Old 08/31/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

can you post a pic of what your doing so i can follow along
Old 08/31/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Mushroom Repro

Let me see if I can either find something from the author on-line or if I can take pics of the magazine article pics. They are much better than what I can show you since theirs are in steps.

I'll post a follow-up message shortly...
Old 08/31/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Induced Longitudinal Fission

OK, the author of the article is Daniel Knop and the process is called Induced Longitudinal Fission. Based on a quick Google search, it appears the process of Longitudinal Fission is used on life forms other than Corallimorpharians as well. Mr Knops' article, titled "All About Corallimorpharians" addresses everything from Petal Lacerations, Asexual Propogation, Budding, Inverse Budding, etc. and it is awesome!!

I'm trying to be careful not to cross any legal boundries with Mr Knop's article and research so for legal reasons I've decided not to post any of his pictures from the magazine article. It's only $6.95 and every issue is well worth it. If your LFS or book store doesn't carry Coral Magazine, you can go on-line @ www.coralmagazine.com , or call their order number (714) 543-4100 and order it there. (No, I do not work for, nor am I affiliated with Coral Magazine)

If you're interested in a fascinating read, I'd highly recommend getting the Aug/Sep issue (Volume 4, Number 4) of Coral Magazine. It's entirely dedicated to Corallimorpharians.
Old 09/01/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

my mushroom seems to b moving down the rock so im hopin he will leave a little treat 4 my tank
Old 09/01/2007, 09:04 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi. I've noticed with my yumas that came on split pieces of rubble that when I cut off a piece of rubble with some base attached that the piece with a little flesh on it grows what looks to be a green node (seem to fluoresce under my 420/460 T5 lights). I've also seen two yumas that have put out a thin extension of their fleshy base across the rock their on, and these extensions are developing the same little green nodes. I'm assuming that these green nodes will grow into new yumas? The color of the nodes seems to be the same bright green color of the mouths. If these will indeed be new yumas does the mouth grow first?
Old 09/02/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

you can always cut the foot extention just under the shroom it will grow into a new shroom.
same thing with rics before I had 3 single mouth rics on one rock and now I have at least 15 and I am gonna cut some more.
2occelaris,1purple dotyback,6chromis,3engineer gobys,2 scooter blenny,1spotted dragonet
Old 09/02/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

how do u cut it. i wanna try it