Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

I hope so, it is one of our fav. corals. and the clowns fav. also I will try to get a better pic. of it just to be sure and see if you can figure out a better way of mounting it.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:36 PM
Moved On

Nice looking setup!!!
Old 11/15/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

thanks reef. still a work in progress but then again whose tank isn't

ok hopefully this pic. will show the color of the base better and also I outlined the 2 smaller rocks that it grew on when it was a baby and the rocks are holding it up like an upside down V so kinda like a point toward the base. is it ok like that or how else would I move it to a better rock?
Old 11/15/2007, 08:31 PM
TRC Leader

It is fine as long as the coral can anchor itself properly and stay in position.
Old 11/15/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

seems as if he can anchor itself good as it don't move or rock around. so I will leave him be.

Thanks
Old 11/16/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

well I can finally post my newest addition to the tank. after a 4 week QT he was very eger to dig himself a home ASAP

on a side note 3 weeks and the place I brought my CO2 tank still hasn't filled it yet. grrrrrrrrrrr
Old 11/17/2007, 12:00 AM
TRC Leader

You might want to go elsewhere. Supposedly now Home Depot swaps CO2 tanks, I read recently. I don't know if that is true though.
Old 11/18/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

when in sioux falls yesterday I checked home depot but they don't do it there. oh well thank god it only needs to be tested every 5 years.

also when in sioux falls I picked up some awesome frags from Grant (AKA Tangdiver), havn't got around to mounting them yet, but here are some pic.s, and hopefully Grant or someone else will be able to identify the onces I can't remember. so I get the proper names right

finally a 2 polyp frag of PPE's

Blasto

Fungia

blue millie middle

yellow acro not sure the name

baby blue acro I think

green cap

diff. green cap

and there is one more I forgot to take a pic. of but will post later. sorry about the names as I couldn't remember all of them but hopefully someone else will know them.

Thanks again Grant for the awesome frags. hopefully I can get some better pics of them when I get my camera figured out.
Old 11/19/2007, 08:29 AM
See Ya ;-)

Cool blue acro...and a red tipped yellow stag, a Limited Edition Mello Yellow Tabling Acro is the biggest one you have...

Glad you like....remember all treated and free from acro eating flatworms, monti nudi, zoo nudi, and red bugs....just if you are wondering.

Grant
Old 11/26/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

well finally after almost 1 month AOx welding called and said my tank is ready. well I guess better late than never. so I am gonna go pick it up prob. thur. or fri. so I don't have to make 2 trips to sioux falls this week. thur. or fri. is when my new 100lbs of LR is supposed to be here so I can finally get around to redoing this tank and rid the shrooms
Old 11/29/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

well it seems someone don't want me to get new things for my tank. 1st the CO2 tank takes almost a month to get checked and filled. and now the rock isn't gonna be here till next week hopefully instead of this week. so thats 3 weeks on that. dang almost a month wait on anything I want to add to my tank. not sure if I wanna change my pumps now
Old 11/29/2007, 09:19 PM
TRC Leader

Sam, you need to move to South Dakota where stuff happens in a timely fashion.

Your state sure teaches a person patience though.
Old 11/29/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Sam, you need to move to South Dakota where stuff happens in a timely fashion.

Your state sure teaches a person patience though.
no kidding on that. Chuck has his new toys before you even leave. and Nick gets his stuff the same week. darn IOWA

but trust me we were thinking of moving to Sioux falls if only rent wasn't 3 times as much as it is here with the jobs paying just as much.

and I thought the "patience" part was only adding new livestock not equipment either way as long as stuff gets here and is in good shape then I am still happy.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

well didn't want to wait another week to get the cal. reactor up and going so I ran to SF today and picked up the CO2 tank and got it setup using Melev's thread on his website. I highly suggest reading it if your just starting to use one.
http://www.melevsreef.com/calcium_reactor.html

now my 1st question was do I test the cal. and alk. tonight then check it again tommrow about the same time to know if I need to adjust it?

right now it is set up with 60ml. per min. of effluent going to the sump. with 1 BPM in the bubble counter.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:54 PM
TRC Leader

Yes, test the water from your display today, and then again in 24 hours do the same.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

ok well was messin with the camera today to get decent pics mainly with the white balance so the colors come out better and I think I got it
before

after and these are the actual colors finally

also when in SF I had to stop by and talk to Grant (Tangdiver) and again picked up a couple more sweet corals. (I need to stop. lol) hopefully he can jump in and remember the names as my memory sucks today.
ORA Tri color purple tips I think

a yelow polyp acro is the best I remember lol

and a new FTS with the new settings

oh and some of my zoa collection

sorry didn't setup the tripod and do all that cool stuff for better pics. and also you can see the chemiclean didn't do a dang thing for my canyo
Old 12/01/2007, 02:11 AM
TRC Leader

Tell me how you dosed. I just treated my tank and three days later it looked as it should, all gone.

I'll check out your pictures on my monitor (currently on my laptop and colors don't look as nice to me). Your full tank shot looks good, but overblown in the whites. Maybe we can help you with that for future shots.
Old 12/01/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Tell me how you dosed. I just treated my tank and three days later it looked as it should, all gone.

I'll check out your pictures on my monitor (currently on my laptop and colors don't look as nice to me). Your full tank shot looks good, but overblown in the whites. Maybe we can help you with that for future shots.
well I first shut off the skimmer, carbon, and phosban reactors, then added 10 scoops of chemiclean to the sump area when the return pump is.

2 days after did a 20 gal. water change even though the canyo was still there and well that was wed. when I finished and left it alone. turned on the skimmer and other things a day after.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

thought I would ask this also sence I have pics. does anyone know what these are?
the brownish ball next to the shroom

and these look like a big group of brown feather dusters. I will try to get a better pic. with the flow off as they are blowing in this pic.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:38 PM
TRC Leader

They look like hydroids, which are often considered a nuisance pest. They tend to sting stuff nearby, and can spread to be everywhere. That is why Lunchbucket won't use any old LR in his new system.

The Chemi-Clean you used, do you have any left? Tell me what color it is. You might have had a jar of the bad batch, which I had as well.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Hydroids?
Some people don't like them, I think they are pretty
(I think most will think of them as worse than aiptasia).

Looking great with the new pictures.
Old 12/01/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

hydroids. dang I always thought they were more translusiant then these. well another thing to rid. lol

as for the chemiclean. the powder is white. I still have 2/3 of it left. do you suggest tring it again? or is this batch bad?
Old 12/01/2007, 07:07 PM
TRC Leader

The beige is the bad batch. White works fine for me.

You mentioned you added the scoops to your sump. I pour mine into a cup of RO water, mix it well, then pour it into my reef.
Old 12/01/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

well I am gonna give it another shot.
1. turned off the carbon and phosban reactors, and the skimmer.

2. took a cup of rodi water and mixed in 10 scoops of chemiclean and mixed it well.

3. poured in main tank.

4. wait again

sound right?
Old 12/01/2007, 08:49 PM
TRC Leader

See next post.