Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSaltLife
did u get my last pm about the sump?
I did & Thanks.
To keep everyone up to speed, I was going to create a 55 gallon sump/refugium combination out of a glass 55g tank. I was following the thread and instructions by "t11t5" here on RC.

Here is his thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=993929

Unfortunately, the LFS where I dropped my tank off yesterday to get it drilled informed me that they could not do so as it was all tempered glass. I wanted it drilled in the middle (sump area)so that I can install my Sequence Reflo Dart pump, as the pump is not submersible. I purchased the 55g as well as the 4 pieces of cut glass just for this. After all the work, I am sad to say that I will not be able to use this 55g.

So, I am off to look for an acrylic sump/refugium. Nothing fancy, just something that will hold water from my overflow just in case I have a poweroutage, as well as an area for my "stuff" {skimmer, heater etc). and maybe , maybe a tiny area for a small refugium.

After looking at some online and LFS I only saw the $300.00+ prices.

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 08/16/2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08/16/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NUBIANTANGLOVER
Thanks yoboyjdizz!

I am kinda nervous as this is my first reef system/build. I see that you are a Kings & Cowboys Fan! Great Picks! My husband lives and breathes Cowboys!
I like the Kings too. Especially before they broke up Bibby, Christie, Webber and the other guys! I wish they would've kept those guys together just another year.
Yep cowboys all the way! As for the kings i don't even want to get started on that haha. Hopefully we can rebuild like the cowboys did in a couple years.

If i were you i would upgrade your skimmer.. I have an asm recric g4x on my 280 and sometimes i wonder if that will be enough when its fully stocked!
Old 08/17/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yoboyjdizz
Yep cowboys all the way! As for the kings i don't even want to get started on that haha. Hopefully we can rebuild like the cowboys did in a couple years.

If i were you i would upgrade your skimmer.. I have an asm recric g4x on my 280 and sometimes i wonder if that will be enough when its fully stocked!
I will keep that in mind on the skimmer. What are you using for your sump?
Old 08/17/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

My sump was custom made i believe its 50x22x18-20 Protein skimmer on left side return in the middle and refuge on the right side.
Old 08/17/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

here is picture before i set it up
Old 08/19/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
My sump was custom made i believe its 50x22x18-20 Protein skimmer on left side return in the middle and refuge on the right side.
Very nice sump! I went to the LFS today and actually purchased an acrylic sump for my tank. I will be picking it up hopefully tomorrow as I left it there for them to drill it for my external Reflo Dart pump as well as a 30g glass tank (now this tank should not be tempered on the sides) for my refugium. I think I finally got it right! Well, we will know for sure tomorrow.
Old 08/19/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

I went to Lowe's and actually picked up a couple of these Shockbuster 5 Outlet GFCI units. They were very affordable, about $15.00 each. Many of the online FS sell them for around the same price. However, I liked the fact that I could get them local and not have to wait (waiting for reef supplies to arrive is torture for many of us hobbyist, even with next day shipping) or pay for the cost to ship.

Shockbuster GFCI 5-Outlet Units:

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 08/19/2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08/19/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSaltLife
we demand a full tank shot!!!!
Okay MrSaltLife,

Here is a photo shot of the tank. It really does not depict the tank's actual height and size IMO. The tank is seven feet long and 6 (1/2) feet tall. This is a photo of the tank after I painted the back of the tank and installed the MHalides. As my project develops, I will be providing many more photos of the tank, the system & it's components. Enjoy.

Old 08/19/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

I am now researching the addition of a controller to my system. I have narrowed it down to two choices based upon current comments from RC members, ease of use, and the price too. I am looking at the Reefkeeper 2 (RK2) and the Aquacontroller Jr. (ACJr). I would love to get as much input of these as possible.
Old 08/19/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Tank looks like its going to be a beauty! I also have shock busters and like their performance.
Old 08/19/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Tank looks like its going to be a beauty! I also have shock busters and like their performance.
Thanks! Now, I wish I had your sump. THe sump I purchased is rated for a 300g and is only 36" long. But, it is nice. It is the Berlin style model and it comes with a sock filter. We had to actually make some adjustments to the back of the tank's stand in order to fit the sump underneath. Even though the stand is 87" long, the three doors on the front has limited access for anything over 30" clearance. I didn't take this in consideration in my plans
Old 08/20/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

I just had my 265 delivered this weekend..I hope it turns out as nice as yours.
Old 08/20/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RParker
I just had my 265 delivered this weekend..I hope it turns out as nice as yours.
RParker:
Thanks for the compliments, I'm sure your tank will be nice. Don't forget to do a build thread so we all can see it! I'm just hoping I can get it going and not commit anymore goofs!
Old 08/24/2007, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

Okay,

I've made more progress and will be posting more pics hopefully today. Last night, I plumbed the tank, connected the sump to the pump and tested for leaks in the overflow/return bulkheads area. I am currently having trouble with the return bulkhead located on the right side of my tank. It is leaking slowly, but steadily on one side where the bulkhead meets the glass from the tank. I really could use some advice as to how to fix this so that I can begin the fun part! There are no other signs of leaks anywhere with the other 3 bulkheads from the overflows/return.
Old 08/24/2007, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Nice look so far can't wait to see it stocked
Old 08/24/2007, 08:34 AM
Wish coral grew faster

I would think something may have happened too the gasket on the one bulkhead? Did you take it off too look at it, or do you have a way to drain water below that mark?
Old 08/24/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paikuhan
Nice look so far can't wait to see it stocked
Paikuhan, Thanks! I will try to post some updated photos tonight.
Old 08/24/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtsReef
I would think something may have happened too the gasket on the one bulkhead? Did you take it off too look at it, or do you have a way to drain water below that mark?
Kurtsreef,

I believe my prayers have been answered! I got my husband to tighten it just a little. It worked! Also, to give everyone an update, I have tested the sump and Reeflo Dart pump. Seems to work well. I was a little concern with the bulkhead looking kinda weak. But, it worked. I had a small slow leak where the bulkhead from the sump and the large PVC connection to the heavy duty checkvalve. This is because I did not pvc-glue the connection here yet, as I was simply checking the strenght of the bulkhead. All seems okay, so I am going to pvc-glue it now. Wish me luck guys!
Old 09/06/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Okay Guys,

I have finally taken more photos and made some progress. I guess I am taking things extra, extra slow. Well, I would rather be safe than sorry. Thus far, I have secured the overflows w/o any leaks. I will be adding water to them as soon as I can muster the nerve just to make sure the extra water inside of them will not cause any leaks due to the pressure of the water.
Old 09/06/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Here are the additional photos. Please feel free to view them and provide feedback. Enjoy!

I chose to use PVC piping to plumb my tank. I used this on my 175g and never had any problems. Also, it really makes me feel a little more secure using this type, rather than using the flex/hose style pvc. My pvc for both returns and overflows are 2" in diamter size.

Here is a picture of the Left side of my Plumbing:

Right Side of Plumbing:

As you can see, I placed Ball Valves on each section of the returns and overflows so that I can control the water levels when shutting on & off certain areas for service/maintenance.

Here is a photo of the Berlin Style Sump I am using. It is rated to handle 300gallons and comes with a filter sock to remove debris from the water. Sorry about the clarity of the photo

Old 09/06/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Now, I had to have the sump drilled for my return pump (Sequence Reeflo Dart Pump) which is non-submersible. It is known as a quiet pump with a rating of over 3600gph! For about one week, I was having the hardest time getting the seal between the bulkhead and sump leakproof. I siliconed the gasket inside of the tank, siliconed the outside of the bulkhead etc. Finally, I went silicone crazy on this bulkhead area and thus far, It has been free of leaks.

Sump Return Area:

As you can see below, I really siliconed this baby:

Here is a photo of the entire sump return area, connected to the return section on the right side of the tank:

Old 09/06/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

After running a few water leak tests on the sump area, I decided that I could proceed to fill the tank! I filled the tank with water for the first 2" and then used about 200-250lbs. of SouthDown Sand purchased at Home Depot:

After adding the sand, I continued to fill up the tank.

Here are a few photos taken during the addition of water to the tank:

Side View During the Process:

Halfway Mark During the Process:

So far, so good.
So, I decided to fill up the tank up until the point where the water spills over into the overflow region. I am still a little nervous about this. I don't know why, as if there is a small amount of water (2-3") and the bulkheads for the returns and overflows are not leaking---and have not been for 2 weeks, I guess I should be okay. I just don't want to face a whole-week ordeal like I did with the small leak on the bulkhead area for my sump.

Here are a couple of full tank photos:

Side View:

Front View:

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 09/06/2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09/06/2007, 07:21 PM
stop the insults, please

Very nice! I have the same tank and stand coming friday in black. I'll be watching your build!
Old 09/06/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Oh yeah, black is very awesome! I think it looks better when taking pictures too! Good Luck with your tank. Make sure you do a build thread too. The glass is pretty thick and the silicone areas are very well done, thus far. It reminds me of my Oceanic Bowfront Tank, which was built to last!
Old 09/06/2007, 07:33 PM
stop the insults, please

It looks great! I'm salivating for my tank now after looking at your pictures!