Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2005, 01:31 AM
Moved On

That Atlantis green would be happier in the least amount of light possible, I keep mine on the side of the rocks laying on it's side getting pratically no light and it is fatter and puffier than ever. Some of the half heads are finally starting to close.
Old 03/09/2005, 01:55 AM
Moved On

I don't want the mods to take this the wrong way, I am only posting this because there has been a bunch of spamming on ebay with acanthastrea in the title so it's impossible to search

Try cut'n'pasting this search (all one line but leave the space between acan. and "- " );

acanthastrea -(shrooms,millepora,ricordia,ricordea,cap,zoos,zoas,sps,chili)

This excludes the bs listings and probably won't be anything you have to worry about a real listing having in it's title
Old 03/09/2005, 10:43 AM
Moved On

My Atlantis green is in the same spot as the others but it is shaded under an overhang. It is a slow grower for me but has kept it's color very well
Old 03/09/2005, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

I have the same green Acan that you guys are calling the Atlantis green. At first I thought it needed low light. I had it near the bottom back in October when I got it. But for the last 3+ months, I've had it blasted with light. It has started to turn a much nicer, bright green, from the dark, hunter green it was. I am seeing new growth on it now. Some of which is on the side getting the most light.
I have a single 400w 10K Coralvue, which puts out a lot of light. I currently have my green Acan and my red and gray colony just a few inches lower in the tank than my acros.
I have been experimenting with brighter light with all of my Acans. So far, my blue/purple did not like it, and my red and green stayed closed up more, but it now have purple coloring mixed in with the red and green. I just took some pics of it last night, and I hope to it shows some of the purple.

I think in general, these corals will do well in very bright light, or very low light. The key is not to introduce the very bright quickly. When they are kept in brighter light, the color morphs into something completely different. Even in low light, they are very beautiful. The colors may be a bit darker.
So keep them wherever you feel comfortable. If you want to experiment, do it slowly. And try to keep of photo log, so you can look back and see how they've changed. Then make sure to show all of us, since we want to know too.
Old 03/09/2005, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

great news randy! lol. now i'll go try that out!
Old 03/09/2005, 02:42 PM
Moved On

Thanks Randy. I will put the green one out in the light now
Old 03/09/2005, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

OK, I've got the photos. I guess my green still looks hunter green in the pics. But when I get a look at the area with the brightest light, it is a much nicer green. Maybe it's because it's bleached. So don't go raising them up too high.

Red and Green colony
Now that these corals grow in a round ball, I'm able to see the effects of brighter light on the same animal. You can tell the area that was facing the more intense light has lighter colors, with some white and purple swirled in. The purple is harder to see in the pic's, but in person you can see it easily.

Note how red the side polyps look.

I did not edit the photos at all. Just resized them.
Old 03/09/2005, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Full tank shots. My red and gray is at the same level as my green Pocillorpora colony, only the single MH bulb is directly above the Acanthastrea colony.

A couple of new additions in that second pic. Thanks Dennis and Sang.
Old 03/09/2005, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Note:
The red and gray colony looks best with a top down shot since it's big polyps block out all the good light with side shots.

These are from January.

Old 03/09/2005, 03:06 PM
Moved On

Man the polyps on that Red/Gray are HUGE!
Old 03/09/2005, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jus Reefin
Man the polyps on that Red/Gray are HUGE!
Yeah they are. It's like an umbrella opening up and shading some of the other acans under it.
Old 03/09/2005, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

and the atlantis greens are located to the left of the red/grey, right? the color is quite nice if those are them! i'm definetly moving mine closer to the light.
Old 03/09/2005, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

AMAZING RANDY!
Old 03/09/2005, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yoshiod9
and the atlantis greens are located to the left of the red/grey, right? the color is quite nice if those are them! i'm definetly moving mine closer to the light.
Yes.

Thanks Anthony.
Old 03/09/2005, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

Randy...a hard act to follow. My collection is nothing compared to randy's. haha. but i'll post a few of mine anyway. =)

Micromussa

Blue/Purple and Maroon

group photo:
Old 03/09/2005, 10:07 PM
I pretend to know stuff

Randy how do you clean the glass/Acrylic? It looks like your rocks are right up against it.

PH 8.2
DKH 10
CAL 480
SG 1.025
Old 03/10/2005, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hammerhead
Randy how do you clean the glass/Acrylic? It looks like your rocks are right up against it.
Yes, the rocks are up against the glass. It's a temperary setup I had to throw together. It's been up since December, and in one of the pics I posted, you can see some coralline on the front glass where the rocks are. The snails keep it from getting any worse.
Old 03/11/2005, 09:20 PM
Moved On

when you getting a new tank Randy? How much water did your old one spill?
Old 03/11/2005, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

Can Acan grow too fast? It seems that my acan is devoting an awful lot of energy into reproduction by budding new polyps. I purchased a two polyp frag a little over a month ago. Almost immediately I gained a third polyp. In the past three weeks, it keeps budding babies. I now have three full size and nine countable babies. Is this normal growth?
Old 03/11/2005, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gotdesl
Can Acan grow too fast? It seems that my acan is devoting an awful lot of energy into reproduction by budding new polyps. I purchased a two polyp frag a little over a month ago. Almost immediately I gained a third polyp. In the past three weeks, it keeps budding babies. I now have three full size and nine countable babies. Is this normal growth?
This is not normal. You must send them to me immediately for full inspection. Something is very wrong
Old 03/11/2005, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

I would have almost bought into that. I really wasn't sure. I know some plants will devote so much energy into reproduction, that it is detrimental to the plant. Come to think of it, reproduction is usually very energy consuming to any living thing. Also, looking back at when I first bought it, it has been closer to 2 months so that isn't quite as fast and furious as I had first thought. I'm still a happy camper though.
Old 03/11/2005, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Which color morph is it? Was it from a captive bred colony or a wild one? Just curious because I've been wondering about which has the faster growth rate.
Old 03/12/2005, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bugsy714
when you getting a new tank Randy? How much water did your old one spill?
I picked up the new tank last week. I think the better question is "When will I set it up?" Hopefully soon.

The old tank spilled all of it's water onto the floor, including a 50 gallon sump. It was a 150 gallon that split the bottom, and drained the whole tank onto the floor. I would say I caught close to 50 gallons in a couple vats, and quickly placed the corals in them. But close to 150 gallons of SW dumped onto the floor.
Old 03/12/2005, 01:36 AM
Moved On

damn you easties and your basements!

Must be nice, if I spill that much water I'll be buying 1000 sqft of new carpet. How big is the new tank? is it glass or acrylic?
Old 03/12/2005, 01:51 AM
Premium Member

There is a pic of the parent colony in my gallery. I really don't know whether the parent was wild or captive. I really don't feed it all that much. Maybe twice a week. It is sitting about 60% of the way down in a 75 under 2 400 watt 20k XMs. The color has actually gotten brighter and the polyps expand well.