Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/06/2005, 11:21 PM
><(((">

the job search continues

alright, i am looking for a summer job so i can afford this hobby. I have asked alot of stores, and most of them say you have to be 18+, im 15, so im getting shut down. They will be like about to hire me, then ask how old are you? and then they say, sorry, you have to be 18+. so i have even asked fast food places. so im really desperate, i want mh real bad. so i was wondering, is there anywhere in socal that hires minors??? I need something to do this summer. And if you are a store owner, are you hiring?
thanks,
kevin
Old 06/06/2005, 11:28 PM
Sumthin orange on my lip?

maybe try a summer camp
Old 06/06/2005, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

i would do things like mow lawns, ebay...things where you aren't officially hired. Its hard enough for 18 yr olds to find a real job let alone a minor. They know you're only availabe for the summer(they spend money/time training you) plus there are laws.
Old 06/06/2005, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Subway!

Paperboy!

Find a construction contractor and learn the trade while getting paid!
Old 06/07/2005, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

What ever happened to the days where high schoolers could get work, all they had to do was get a working permit from school? Maybe an ROP program through your high school could help you get a job?
Definitely hit up the neighbors with doing odd jobs around the house, even mowing lawns, walking dogs, etc....
I was lucky enough to have a huge baseball card collection that I would sell parts of to get spending money for the weekend.
Old 06/07/2005, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

it still applys Brian except you gotta be atleast 16 to get the job and the permit. The best bet is to probably get a over the counter kind of job. where they pay you in cash. These places usually dont require real paper works so yeah.
Old 06/07/2005, 01:48 AM
Secret Weapon

Well at your age,
Find a construction site and wander in , ask for the foreman or whoever is in charge. Tell them you want work , will push a broom , clean up help with any trades or be a gopher, they will hire you and probably pay cash.
Its "Under the table" hehe not over..
Don't go for fastfood bs.., you won't be happy or learn anything

John
Old 06/07/2005, 08:58 AM
Fish Yenta

When I was about 6, I started going around to all the nearby houses with a broom asking if I could sweep their sidewalkfor 25 cents. When I was 12 I started my own business gardening. When I was old enough, I got a "real" job... I should have stuck to my gardening business instead!

Mowing lawns and pulling weeds is a job wrapped up by growups here, but look for something that needs to be done that you now how to do and go ask if you can do it. Washing/waxing cars? Cleaning sports gear? Dog grooming? Cleaning/taking care of someone's boat/jet ski/other toy? If you have elderly neighbors, they may want help with any numbers of things.
Old 06/07/2005, 09:14 AM
Macro Algae Connoisseur

hold a sign on the corner saying you will work for MH or corals
hey have you tried those job agencies. i signed up with one of those when i was 15 and they hooked me up w/ a job at the college campus doing filing. wasn't much but i was thrilled to be earning some $$.
Old 06/07/2005, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

I worked at the swap meet when I was 15. Got my behind up at 4am get to the swap meet by 5:45am worked till 6:00pm. $65 a day + free lunch and all I could eat fruits and snacks. That’s some hard earned $$$ for 13hrs of work but I had to do what I had to do. Man this brings me back to the days; I can still feel the cold on my neck. Imagine 4am in the middle of winter setting up those canopies. Those pulls holding up the canopy was so cold that I couldn’t even pick it up with my hands.
Old 06/07/2005, 09:43 AM
Huahine Sunset

Start Day Trading w/your parents money. Tell your parents you'll split the money you make. :P

-Chris
Old 06/07/2005, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Go to the local Home Depot and wait out front in the morning with the other people looking for work. I think you should enjoy your summer, because you have all of your life to work.
Old 06/07/2005, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

I see you are in Huntington Beach and 15. Chances are you are too young to drive and most likely do not have a car anyway. So that means you would have to ride your bike or take the bus to where ever you were going to work.

I think the construction site is probably not going to work for you unless you get real lucky with one near by. If there is one near by, give it a try. You have nothing to loose by asking and much to gain. You have taken the first step in asking for help and showing the initiative to want to work.

Since you are already into the hobby, you might try aqua culturing. As you know some of the nicest corals can be expensive and if you can raise a certain species you might become the expert, write your own articles for publication and become world renown for your knowledge. In other words, pick a niche.

When I was 15 I picked weeds, had a paper route, painted a house, and washed dishes at an Italian restaurant where my mother knew the owner. Those jobs are tougher to find now days for a number of reasons but can be had if you persevere.

Keep looking for the opportunities and don't let people telling you "no" discourage you. Some of the most successful people you may be acquainted with have heard "no" plenty of times. Go after what you want without being distracted and you will be successful.

Good luck this summer, we are all rooting for you and who knows, maybe one of your local Reefers has a job you could do.

Keep us informed.
Old 06/07/2005, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

you would be surprise how many shops at the mall pay under the table.
Old 06/07/2005, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

damn, you guys are all lucky to live in a great country. I used to work full-time when I was just.....Eight (8-not eighteen). man, I had to woke up at 4am, then worked untill 6am, school 6-11:30am, worked again from 1pm to 9pm. so now I have money to buy corals hahaha.

Kevin, try some LFS, I think they still hire under 18 though
Old 06/07/2005, 02:30 PM
Moved On

NO!!!! Don't DO IT!! THERE IS PLENTY OF TIME IN YOUR LIFE TO WORK!!! GO OUT!! GRAB A SKATEBOARD, HAVE SOME FUN!!
Old 06/07/2005, 05:26 PM
><(((">

alright, i might be able to grab a job being a referee on the weekends, pays $180 a week. but im not sure if they have an opening yet...but one of my friends (15) does it, so hes gonna hook me up with their number, but im not sure.
Old 06/10/2005, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

im 16... try LFS man. Specially the ones with not alota peopel working there. Last year i had a job doing water changes. Me and my friend did 25% water changes on 20 10 gallon fw tanks in an hour and made $25 each! She said she had em professionally done for $300 bucks. Although we got tired of fw and the stinky mice and rabbits she kept in the store, we learned wht hard work was like! take wht u can get

and ur pretty lucky u have sucha big tank.... i wish i didn blow money on clothes and shoes b4, then i coulda saved up to get a nice tank. good luck bro
Old 06/11/2005, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Kevinr, is Placentia to far for you to Travel? I can ask Jimmy, he owner of Fish Collection if he needs anymore help. He has 3 students that come in around 3. They do water changes, clean algae, feed fish and go with him on tank services. I've gone with Jimmy on a few service calls on the weekends. Nothing like seeing people in yorba linda/Placentia area with 180g+ tanks.

Ummm
Old 06/11/2005, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SaltNutz

When I was 15 I picked weeds, had a paper route, painted a house, and washed dishes at an Italian restaurant.

Well, unfortunately, nowadays those jobs are occupied by a certain group, but I am not complaining.

I'm in the same boat, and have virtually given up hope until I can drive. My dad said I could work for him whenever I'm at his place, so I'll probably hit him up on that offer. Kevin, your dad is starting up a company, or consulting group, or whatever. You could be a "gofor" for him in a few months once you get that golden license.
Old 06/11/2005, 02:56 AM
Keeper of Brown Corals

Hey, I'll give ya $40 if you come over and help me clean my tanks.
Old 06/11/2005, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

gho, lets go. ill come over and help you for 40 lolz.
Old 06/11/2005, 03:29 AM
Keeper of Brown Corals

Hey if and Kevin wanna come over you guys can split it. Or if Kevin's not interested, the job's yours...
Old 06/11/2005, 04:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gho
Hey if and Kevin wanna come over you guys can split it. Or if Kevin's not interested, the job's yours...
Greg you only have like 3 tanks!! or are you counting all the cages ?? Or do you just want some attention?? Dont worry Bud I will make it out there before I move to talk about photos and reef. We'll try and make atleast half a day out of it. Kinda busy as of late
Old 06/11/2005, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

From what little I know... you have to be 16 to have a job without a work permit from your school, even over summer break. My little brother had to get it signed off by the administration at his school. It is not hard, but you cannot work more then 20 hours during the school year, atleast that is how it is here in Corona. Good luck in finding something. Generally you want to talk to people you know, or your parents know. I had a job at 15 working for a rental equipment company. That is something I wouldnt suggest, unless you like to come home smelling like sweat, grease, and oil/gas mixture.

I will never forget those summers.... 100+ degrees in the City of Industry under a running truck, hooking up a rental trailer.... not fun at all

They say "It builds character." No... it just makes you tired!!!