Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2004, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Question world’s ten BEST public aquariums?

OK, New England & Tennessee sure, Monterey Bay of course, Japan’s Ring of Fire, but what are the world’s ten BEST public aquariums?
Old 12/14/2004, 12:16 AM
Monkey

who knows.... I had fun at the Shed in Chicago. I guess you'd need to know what exactly you're looking for: IE: biggest, most water, most corals, most sharks, etc...
Old 12/14/2004, 01:16 AM
Too busy to post

L'OceanogrĂ*fic in Valencia, Spain. 11 million gallons of salt water.

Last edited by chipmunk; 12/14/2004 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12/14/2004, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

Havent seen them all yet but Im really impressed with the Waikiki aquarium and the new coral system @ Seaworld in Orlando.
Old 12/14/2004, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

wow, thanks for the great pics, excellent choice, what new coral system?
Old 12/14/2004, 09:56 AM
Got nothing

I went to Birch Aquarium at Scripps the last time I was in San Diego. That was a couple of years ago and before I got into salt water aquariums. I loved the place but I wish I knew then what I know now, might have been able to enjoy even more of it.
Brian
Old 12/14/2004, 11:06 AM
Moved On

Tampa Bay Aquarium is pretty nice. I am a member at Shedd, I have been there so many times it is not interesting anymore... I am going to be in the Keys for xmas, we may shoot up into Miami and check out their Aquarium.
Old 12/14/2004, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

kinda small but cute, nice shows, do a lot with a little, don't miss shark feedings
Old 12/14/2004, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

I checked out Shedd Aquarium in Chicago last week. Was more impressed with their freshwater stuff than saltwater (cuz they barely had saltwater stuff). They have this one huge tank right in the middle of the museum full of saltwater fish...but all the corals in there were plastic fakes.
Old 12/14/2004, 02:48 PM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Choson1
I checked out Shedd Aquarium in Chicago last week. Was more impressed with their freshwater stuff than saltwater (cuz they barely had saltwater stuff). They have this one huge tank right in the middle of the museum full of saltwater fish...but all the corals in there were plastic fakes.
huh? Did you not go downstairs in the elevator???
Old 12/15/2004, 06:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chipmunk
L'OceanogrĂ*fic in Valencia, Spain. 11 million gallons of salt water.

Holly Molly!!! that's crazy.
Now I have to save money to travel to Spain.
Old 12/15/2004, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

Can't comment on the best, as I haven't seen many, but we were in DC on vacation recently and went to the National Aquarium. It was terrible. Only exhibit we went to that charged, the tanks were filthy and the fish looked miserable. Corals, when they had any, were dying. we wanted to bring them all home with us to take care of them properly.

What a pity!!! But it might be great job opportunity for someone who lives down there!

cheryl
Old 12/15/2004, 06:47 AM
Flea Slide

I will drop the Singapore aquarium in.
Old 12/15/2004, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

I visited Ripley's in SC last year and thought it was pretty cool

http://www.ripleysaquarium.com
Old 12/15/2004, 01:50 PM
Ferret Maximus

have not been to any other- but boston has a great aq. and the town aint bad neither
Old 12/15/2004, 02:08 PM
Medieval French Monkey

The downstairs coral exhibits at the Shedd aren't too bad. I suppose you have to use fake corals in the truly huge exhibits because it'd be impossible to light them properly. The public aquarium in Nancy, France is pretty awesome, but it's been years since I've been to it, so I don't know if I'd count it in the world's top ten. I'm so mad...when I was in Valencia I didn't make it to that aquarium...didn't have enough time :-( In Houston, there's
The Aquarium Downtown, it's actually a restaurant, and the corals are fake, but it's truly an amazingly huge aquarium. Patrons sit around the tank walls that run two stories high. I felt almost guilty for eating all the yummy seafood with their compatriots looking on. But hey, I suppose that's some way to deal with a problematic fish...if it acts up, it's tonight's special! I wonder if it acts as a deterrent? lol
Old 12/15/2004, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Scubadude are you refering to the tanks that are set up at the exit of the Atlantis ride at Sea World if so I concur.Now I think in the main aqaurium section they can do much better with the reef set ups.Honorable mention should go to the Aquarium of Americas in New Orleans,very nice!
Old 12/15/2004, 03:14 PM
Got Salt!

I dont know about the worlds top 10...but the top three that I have had the fortune to visit in the states is ..

1. monterybay
2. the aquarium of the americas in New Orleans
3. Moody Gardens in Gavelston Texas

Have been to some smaller aquariums that are worth a vist if your in the area ...the one in the west end of Dallace its pretty cool...there is a little one at the Houston zoo...and one in corpus christe...

alwayswanted to check out the one in frisco the stienheart...but just havent made it a priority

Long beach is supose to have a real nice one....

I think its either boston or baltamore that has a nice one,...Im just not real familier with the North East part of the country....

The only world renound one that stands out is the one in japan that has the two whale sharks..!
Old 12/15/2004, 04:09 PM
DOH!

i like tampa's, mainly because i live here.

I have been to MBA in Cali and i must say, it is wonderful.

You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire.

Aww Right!!!!
Old 12/15/2004, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

MORE PICS !!! please
Old 12/16/2004, 12:56 AM
Too busy to post

Quote:
Originally posted by greenfroggiespawn
MORE PICS !!! please
Since you asked, here are some of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, another great place, I'm a member and visit often.

Outer Bay Exhibit

Jellies

Great White Shark

Kelp Forrest
Old 12/16/2004, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

I might be heading down to monterey on monday during vacation. I can't wait to see that shark.

Don't forget this place. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...osaka+aquarium
Old 12/16/2004, 02:16 AM
Premium Member

I've been to shedd (great FW), Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach (great reef setups), but our local club just returned from an awesome behind the scenes tour at Monterey Bay.

Behind the Jelly Tanks

Feeding the Mackerel

Feeding the Outer Bay Tank

Old 12/16/2004, 06:26 AM
Got Salt!

Monterey is hard to beat....just the drive alone down Hiway 1 is breathtaking....then spending an afternoon checking out the aquarium....then head over to Bubba Gumps for the Bucket of Boat trash, miniture fried lobster tails and shrimp and fries, and wash It down with a few glasses of carmel wheat micro brew! Done that a few times over the years a day that I love to repeat whenever possible...and hey if Im fortunate enough to have time, Ill grab up some bubble time and get a dive or two in....nothing like seeing the kelp forrest up close and personal, being actually in it!
Old 12/16/2004, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

I can only say the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago is a waste of time. I waited about 45 min in line to see the "brand new reef section". Most of the fish there can be found at a LFS and all the corals were plastic.