Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2004, 05:17 AM
Premium Member

Help me with few fishing questions?

Or would my ID get banned for asking such things on reefcentral.

Anyhow, I am a fishing newb, and am shopping for some newbie equipments. I will be mainly fishing off of shore. So, my main question is what kind of pole, reel, and line do I need. I was hoping to not spend anymore than $100 for a pole and a spinning reel.
I went to walmart today and saw a 'ugly stick' pole. Medium/15-40 lbs., 6'6". Is this one ok for me to use?
I also found a reel on ebay, Okuma AV-80.
Is Okuma any good?
Old 12/29/2004, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

why don't you go to a fishing forum ? there should some
Old 12/29/2004, 07:38 AM
Monkeys Rule once more

I have an Ugly Stick surfcaster and I love it, think they are really good value for the money.

And as far as posting on here, this is The Lounge, and thats what it is for, anything you darned well like, and I'm sure there are many Fisherman on here
Old 12/29/2004, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Bastard.
Do you realize in order to go fishing now, I have to cut a hole through 6 inches or more of ice.
LOL! I've had an Ugly Stick for a few years, and am happy w/ it. Shimano makes some really nice reels in general, but I'm not big on offshore casting. I spend my summer days drowning worms looking for Perch and Bass (and checking the one's from Lake Ontario for Tumors!).

- Mac
Old 12/29/2004, 09:01 AM
Monkeys Rule once more

Damn it, I know what you mean about the cold, Its down to around 65 in Florida, a ***** having to cast with a sweater on
Old 12/29/2004, 09:10 AM
Monkeys Rule once more

OMG thats too funny, you can use Bastard but I cant use the word for a female dog, go figure
Old 12/29/2004, 09:16 AM
The love of me life

Location: New Jersey (Yes our governor is gay not that there is anything wrong with that)
I would go with a 10-12 foot pole for surf casting. Ugly sticks are great but you dont need to spend that kind of money just to start out. I would also get a medium to heavy action rod. A medium action rod is not a good choice for weights above 6 ounces.
Good luck. I cant wait til march when the stripers are running again.
Old 12/29/2004, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

LOL@Mike! Funny... Gotta love text filters.
That's what you get for rubbing it in.

- Mac
Old 12/30/2004, 01:12 AM
10 & Over Club

I don't know what you are fishing for, but if you go for a spinning reel, I have found that the Penn spinning reels hold up well over time. I like the smoothness of the Japaneese Spinning reels, but I wear them out too quickly. I have never used an Okuma though. As for rods, without breaking the bank and going for a Loomis, Lammiglass or a St. Croix, I have been happy with Shimano, Dawia & Penn. I have never owned an ugly stick, but I have fished with one, and I did not like the action, but that does not mean there is anything bad about it, it was just me and what I am used to.

These days, my surf stuff is all Penn Reels & Dawia rods. They take a beating. The exotics are all for the boat. Sports Authority has decent prices and is worth checking out.
Old 12/30/2004, 01:53 AM
ZAO

Any of you guys fly fish? I want to get into it but I'm not really sure where to start.
I've only had 'cheap' rod/reel combo's over the years. My father has an old fly rod that I used to play with but it's getting pretty fragile to actually use.

I will mainly be fishing lakes and small rivers. Trout, salmon etc.
Old 12/30/2004, 02:16 AM
Premium Member

zro, Okuma is a decent brand. They copy more expensive designs, and mass produce them. I would follow everyone elses advice, especially the recommendation for Penn reels.

surfy, go pickup a nice beginner rod at a local flyshop. Go into any flyshop and tell them you are new. They offer instruction, and will let you test cast ANY rod before buying. Believe me an old flyrod is nothing compared to what's out there today. You can get a GOOD rod for $100 to $200. Follow this link and find a shop near you.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?P...mageField.y=13