Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2004, 03:42 PM
dognapper

Traveling to Seoul... tips?

My company is sending me to Korea this Saturday. have any of you been or live there? i would appreciate any tips, especially things to do that are walking distance from Hotel Amiga, or are reefin' related.

TIA,
Jeff
Old 12/06/2004, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

The big market at Namdemun is cool, but that's on the other side of the river. In general, every pricetag in Korea is just a starting point for negotiations. Clothes and shoes are cheap. The subway is safe, clean and fairly easy to navigate. I think there's five palaces in Seoul--I'd try to get to at least one of them.

I was at Yongsan for a month, which is near the Seoul tower. There's a cool Korean War museum up there if you like that sort of thing. There are also frequent protests up in that neck of the woods (Friday afternoons if I remember right) which is interesting.

Don't drink the water. Ask for bottled water (or better yet carry your own as the seal will often be broken when it arrives at your table). I'm serious about this.

Ty
Old 12/06/2004, 06:07 PM
dognapper

Quote:
Originally posted by tyoberg
Don't drink the water. Ask for bottled water (or better yet carry your own as the seal will often be broken when it arrives at your table). I'm serious about this.
i have heard about this. my bro's fiancee lived there for a couple of years (her pop was in the military). i've also heard that getting hep shots is a good idea... did you do this when you went?

did you find any LFS while you were there?

thanks,
j
Old 12/06/2004, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

Not many people are into this hobby in Korea.
I don't know what you like to do, but I'll list some places to go.

this is the subway map of seoul. This was the best one I could find. Sorry about the quality. IMO, Subway is the best way to get anywhere in Seoul as the trafic is really bad 24/7.

Orange line, ApKuJung station, High-end shopping malls and many nice bars but pricey

Green line, SamSong station, Ko-Ex mall, and a restaurent/aquarium inside of the mall

Orange/blue/purple line, Get off at JongRo 3 Ga station, and ask around for In-Sa-Dong. http://www.insadong.info/

Green line, Dong-Dae-Moon station, opens at dusk and closes at dawn.

Green line, Kang-byon station, there is "techno market," full of electronic stuff. When my buddy and I went, this was our favorite place to go, and the food court overthere is very nice and cheap.

Bargaining the price when shopping is expected at some places, but not all. It's hard to explain which is which. But it shouldn't matter as you are a traveler.

That's all I can think of as now, but will add if I remember something.

There's not much to do, but shop, drink, and go clubing.
Old 12/06/2004, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

found a better website.
http://www.subwayworld.co.kr/english/index.htm

go in there and click on cyber station.

don't forget to check out subway tour also.
Old 12/07/2004, 12:44 AM
dognapper

zro:
thanks man! i appreciate this!

jeff
Old 12/07/2004, 03:15 AM
Premium Member

No problem.
Are you looking for something to do after you get off work, or do you have some days off to travel?

I also need to add that dong dae moon market opens very late. I am not sure of the time, but I remember going there around 11 pm or at mid night and taking a cap back because there was no more subways running. most of the stores in Dong-Dae-Moon is clothes stores and are very cheap.

"Techno mart" is this one tall building as soon as you get off the Gang-Byeon subway station. The food court that I was talking about is on the level below the ground level.

Gang Nam, on the green line, is very close to your hotel, and is full of night life.

I found out the name of the restaurant/aquarium in coexmall.
It's "Coex aquarium." LOL
Although I went to Coex mall often, I have never been to the aquarium, so can't tell you if it's good or not.

more pictures on the link below.
http://www.coexmall.com/contents/store/store.php?id=O12

some picture of Coex mall.

http://www.coexmall.com/guide/introduce.php
They have some events over weekends, such as live jazz, art gallery, etc.
Old 12/07/2004, 04:02 AM
dognapper

very cool. since i'm pretty close to the COEXmall, i'll have to check that out.

i'll be working throughout the week, but will have some time after work hours. i'd like to go to itaewon and get a suit made.

also, is it true that everything closes on monday?
Old 12/07/2004, 04:17 AM
Premium Member

I think some shops/malls close on every other monday, and others on every monday. But yes, many stores are closed on monday.
Old 12/12/2004, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I was in Korea 9 months with the army. Tong du chon is a pretty neat street type market. Seoul has a neat street market also. If you're a drinker and have a buddy or 2 to hang out with, have a kettle party at a local bar. They basically take a stainless steel mixing bowl, and throw in 2 ice cube trays worth of ice, a pack of koolaid, a bottle of oscar champagne, 3 korean budweisers (stronger than american), and a couple bottles of soju (spelled right?) It tastes like a great fruit punch, and the trick is not to be the first guy to get up to go to the bathroom. Cuz you go right back down! Also, you have to go visit the Paradise club!