Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Bubble algae

I am having a problem with bubble algae since my 75 has been up for the past 9 months. All water testing including phos are fine. I run a fuge with cheato and a css125 skimmer. I use ro/di water which test at 0 TDS. I dose with two-part solution every 2 days or so. I have 2 Emerald Crabs and 2 red Mithrax Crab which have not touched one bit of bubble algae. The bubble algae seems to grow mostly in clusters. Some itmes a piece will get pretty large, may be 1/2in round.
Other livestock include a purple tang, flame angle pair of clowns, cleaner and pep. shrimp. Blue and red hermits. Snails, asters, certs and others. The tank is a mixed reef with SPS, LPS,and Softies.
What else can I do to get this under control before it becomes a big problem. I am picking out piece when I can.

Thanks for any help,
Phil
Old 11/29/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Bubble algae from what I have read will thrive in even low nutrient tanks, the emerald, mythrax crabs are hit miss with consuming it, the best bet is if you can remove the rock and pick them off, Do not let them break open in the tank as it will release spores every where!
Old 11/29/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

I have the red-bubble algae from H-E-double-hockey-sticks (eat that censor) I've been toothbrushing it off in the waste water when I do water changes.....doesn't seem to do much other than hold it at bay....I feel your pain
Old 11/29/2007, 09:44 PM
T5 Reefer

I have a yellow tang that ate all the bubble algae it could find in my tank. I was shocked to see him clearing it up for me. I could rent him to you .. or even better trade ya for the purple tang.

I have also had luck with emerald crabs. I have always heard how you should never break the bubbles in your water but then you will hear that emeralds will eat them. I don't know how the little crabs eat those big bubbles without breaking them open.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by itZme
I have also had luck with emerald crabs. I have always heard how you should never break the bubbles in your water but then you will hear that emeralds will eat them. I don't know how the little crabs eat those big bubbles without breaking them open.
The trick is finding an emerald crab with a little straw...
Old 11/30/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Itzme wrote:
I don't know how the little crabs eat those big bubbles without breaking them open. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have trained my emerald crabs to cut them off the rocks with their pinchers and push them up on top of the overflow box out of the water. But boy do they get crabby after a while. Get it crabby

Dave
Old 11/30/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

I thought this was a good read...

ReefKeeping Online - Bubble Algae

Greg
Old 11/30/2007, 10:46 AM
15 & Over Club

Syphon them out during water changes and chemical burning of debris left on rock with kalk water/paste seems to work fairly well.
Old 11/30/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice. I did search RC and other sites, but must have missed the RK Bubble algae articale.
Burgman, did you have to use a tiny little whip to train your crabs or did they respond to positive re-enforcement ("Good little crabs, now push it up to the top. Good boys")
I think my best bet is to remove it myself and keep removing it till it's gone.
Thanks,
Phil
Old 11/30/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

If your crabs won't eat the buble algae .... you can get something at the pharmacy to get rid of them.....
Old 11/30/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

as stated above i would get a mithrax