Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Happy Thanksgiving!

Eat, drink, watch some TV, watch your tank, and give thanks!

I would like to thank all the officers of C-SEA for keeping the club functioning! Thank you.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

You beat me to the punch.

Happy Thanksgiving C-SEA members.
Be thankful and greatful for all that you have.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Happy Thanksgiving !!
Old 11/22/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

gobble gobble! happy turkey day!
Old 11/22/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

I'm havin fun, got the turbo heater cranked up in the garage and am building a frag tank! Looks to be about 35gal when done according to RC calc. Dinner is at 4 so i have all day to play. Happy Thanksgiving and see ya out at Dan's tomorrow! (May have to ask for Christmas gift/money early!)

Mark
Old 11/22/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

1 holiday at a time.lol! i dont even want to think about x-mas yet.hehehehe. ahhhhhhhh 2 much to buy!
Old 11/22/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Happy T-day RC/C-SEA ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good food , Family , NFL , NO WORK !!, my salty tank , ,,,,,,,, how good can it get !!!!!

i had time this morning to clean out sump, skimmer , clean the glass in & out ,
Old 11/22/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

REMEMBER WHAT IS ABOUT.

Let us all give Thanks for all we have and the BLESSING of GOD....

Let us not forget the ones less fortunate then us....

Let us NOT FORGET 9/11/2001 and Our Troops serving in our

Armed Forces..May GOD BLESS THEM ALL and thier Families.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!
Old 11/22/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Ditto with RJ...

Hope all ya'll have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11/22/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Well put RJ Happy Thanksgiving to all
Old 11/22/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Happy Turkey D-day to all. Hopefully no fires and everyone stays healthy. It will be a great day at the fire house.
Old 11/22/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone
Old 11/22/2007, 09:49 PM
T5 Reefer

Let's not forget the REAL reason for the holiday. To give thanks that we came to this wonderful land and claimed it for our own by killing the original inhabitants and taking anything that they had for ourselves

Peace, Love and Happy Holidays to all!
Old 11/23/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

I am not a history major but....I don't remember any Pilgrims killing anybody. They were friendly with the Natives.

The killing didn't start till many years later.
Just thank God your an American....

Love it or Leave it.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:34 AM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by rj ripetide

Love it or Leave it.
I do love being an American. I also have no desire to leave it. I give thanks to the vets and those currently serving for my freedom and safety. I am glad that in my home, America, I can thank ANYONE or ANYTHING that I believe in for my freedom.
I don't really mind the methods we used to take this great land of ours from its original owners. I hope you didn't take my statements as an attack on America but I do think that sometimes people feel the need to push their beliefs on others even though it may not be an appropriate topic of discussion.

It is usually a sure fire way to get a thread closed around here to bring any politics or religion into any of the forums hosted by ReefCentral.

I was actually being a bit sarcastic and trying to add some humor to this thread when I said that about the real reason. Didn't mean to get on anyone's nerves.

so just to cover all the bases .. Happy CHRISTMAHANAKWANZAKA
Old 11/23/2007, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rj ripetide
I am not a history major but....I don't remember any Pilgrims killing anybody. They were friendly with the Natives.

The killing didn't start till many years later.

Love it or Leave it.
eh, not so much. Because the English had landed there earlier and abducted indians to try and sell as slaves back in England the natives pretty much avoided them. When the Pilgrims would approach a village, the Indians would run and the Pilgrims would steal food. This is how they ended up with corn seed that famously saved them through the winter. The reason that they picked Plymouth is that it had been an Indian village where everyone had died a few years before from smallpox, brought by the English traders. The land was already cleared and farmable, making it easier to settle.

The local Indians, with populations reduced from smallpox, did everything they could to maintain peace, including selling land to the Pilgrims for almost nothing whenever they showed up in force and 'asked' for it. Tensions increased as the Pilgrims continued to try and convert the heathen Indians to Christianity, something the Indians opposed. This lasted for 50 years until the chief died and his children, upset with the colonists continued expansion and insistence on converting the Indians to the one true faith, started plotting against the colony. This worsened when the chief's brother died under mysterious circumstances while negotiating with the Pilgrims. A Harvard educated Christian Indian warned the colonies of the change in Indian policy and the Indians killed him. The Pilgrims hung 3 Indians for this crime against a Christian (even though he wasn't a Pilgrim and was outside of colonial law) and a war broke out, called King Phillip's War. 1 in 200 inhabitants in the area, Indian and Pilgrim, were killed, making it the bloodiest war in American History. After the Colonial victory, all the Indian lands in Mass, CT and Rhode Island were seized and the Indians executed or sold into slavery.
Old 11/23/2007, 10:35 AM
15 & Over Club

MJ's recount based upon current understood historical record and journal piecing together is more on par.

Pilgrim's, English, are judged as brutal by today's morality and they viewed the Indians in a very typical manner of imperialist edict of the time.
Which was acceptable and with God on their side as justified within that imperialist colonial conquest mindset. A judgement (which they more than likely would not have even consider) born out of economic requirement since industrialization was just hitting it's stride. So Land and Labor to feed conquesting regimes (the crowns of the European super powers and their immense navies and urban populous) needed to be obtained at any cost since agrarian production was the major cog to fuel the imperlistic English, Dutch, Spanish and French societies. The pilgrims although fleeing this sector of society brought this value system with them and could not have been judged by that time nor ours to be expected to do anything less. No matter how unjust or inhumane our arm-chair sociological views may view their world view or reality.

Maybe our future will never allow episodes in history to travel down those corridors again. But somehow the realist in me and belief that modern man still has alot more "cultural" evolution before the ID or the demons of self interest of human nature prevent injustice on scales like this from ever occuring again. The events in Rowanda, the wholesale exterminations of Kurds and the like point that human brutality due to differences in social, political, or religious views or "stuff" be it water or land or resources is still very much hard wired into us. Contemporary man casted away from Imperlistic ideology or not. We've got a long way to go and unfortunately it looks like peace is still won by strength and inhumanity must still be dealt with in very inhmane means.

Oh yeah. Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by CleveYank; 11/23/2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11/23/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

let's get Thanksgiving right shall we?

AND...

...Thanksgiving (a wonderful thing) neither harkens back to, nor has anything to do with, the Pilgrims. I believe that connection was a marketing strategy invented by Kraft Corp. Thanksgiving was created as a holiday by President Lincoln during the Civil War (proclamation on Oct. 3 1863). The proclamation is easy to find on line (as is much misinformation). It's a short read.

I gave thanks yesterday (should do it more often!). I don't mind a history lesson either, but I would rather have religion and politics left off the board.

My best to all! Happy holidays!
Old 11/23/2007, 03:43 PM
15 & Over Club

Shall we get it right at...say 1789?

google gave hits under this search: what is the origin of Thanksgiving
And...not surprising on a religious slant
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/origi...anksgiving.htm

To quote.

Even though the Pilgrims hosted the first Thanksgiving dinner in America, the holiday itself actually has its origins almost 170 years later, after the Revolutionary War had been won and our American Constitution had been adopted. In 1789, Congress approved the Bill of Rights, the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution. Congress then “recommended a day of public thanksgiving and prayer” to thank God for blessing America. President Washington declared November 26, 1789, as the first national day of prayer and thanksgiving to the Lord.

Another 75 years later, after the Civil War ended, President Abraham Lincoln established the last Thursday in November as a day to acknowledge “the gracious gifts of the Most High God” bestowed upon America. Every president did the same until 1941 when Congress officially made Thanksgiving a national holiday.

And more that pretty much repeats above. I have a chronicles of George Washington text that details his actions from single handedly violating international treaty with the French to his Death. I recall the celebration recognition, but not the facts.

http://nv.essortment.com/thanksgivinghis_redw.htm
http://www.rumela.com/events/events_...anksgiving.htm

The Kraft thing sounds interesting. Wonder where they fit in? 1941? Renders thoughts of Valentine's and Sweetest Days.

And if Kraft opened in 1903 on $65 in capital. Where did that and Lincoln and Washington either of those dates come into alligning?
http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/about/HistoryofKraft.htm
Old 11/23/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Hey Mike,

I read the Washington one too. I think that was for a one time event and not an annual national holiday, but I could be mistaken. I don't have the time at this minute, but I can dig around for a tie to the pilgrims, which I really think is a modern invention.

All the best!
Old 11/23/2007, 04:23 PM
15 & Over Club

Talking

Kraft's Miracle Whip introduced to the World's Fair in 1933...that's a link...at least for the left over turkey sandwiches

http://www.kraft.com/About/history/