Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish

Old 01/29/2006, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

imbuggin good looking snowflake. how long have u had it. do u have a pair or just one? it looks nice and fat..

anyone else have some snowflake clowns . id love to see it .
thanks
Old 02/03/2006, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

I just read through this, and now I want some snowflake clowns. I'm gonna be keeping my eyes open for a pair of these... they're sweet looking.

-Ben
Old 02/06/2006, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

There are some available here.

But as for a pair that we've been discussing, one of my big questions is still unclear. If this pair does mate together, will their frye have the same coloration traits?

[img]http://i10.tinypic.com/48f4i1s.gif[/img]
Old 02/06/2006, 08:44 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Siapan
No one knows for sure, b/c a phenotype "snowflake" pair has never spawned and the fry never raised.

But, judging from experience in breeding clownfish and also from what I know about the parents of the "snowflakes", only a low percentage will have the phenotype.
Old 02/07/2006, 12:06 PM
Moved On

i wish

Quote:
Originally posted by coraldude
imbuggin good looking snowflake. how long have u had it. do u have a pair or just one? it looks nice and fat..

anyone else have some snowflake clowns . id love to see it .
thanks
Oh i wish.......... those are not mine. They are for sale at my local fish store for $550 here in chicago.
Old 02/07/2006, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oama
Siapan
No one knows for sure, b/c a phenotype "snowflake" pair has never spawned and the fry never raised.

Are you kidding me?! Aquariasts, reefers, researchers have done so many different studies on clowns, let alone the entire marine biology practice.

Are you saying there have been NO spawning of "snowflake" clowns? There has to be some hobbyist or researcher that has had spawning pair of "snowflakes", and raised the frye of "snowflakes".

Well, you can ask that company in England how they get their highest success rate of raising "snowflakes".

Old 02/07/2006, 01:13 PM
Moved On

you are missing the point

Quote:
Originally posted by Siapin
Are you kidding me?! Aquariasts, reefers, researchers have done so many different studies on clowns, let alone the entire marine biology practice.

Are you saying there have been NO spawning of "snowflake" clowns? There has to be some hobbyist or researcher that has had spawning pair of "snowflakes", and raised the frye of "snowflakes".

Well, you can ask that company in England how they get their highest success rate of raising "snowflakes".
you are totally missing the point. The "place in England" is the only one producing them and they are very secretive!! Nobody knows anything outside of the company.
Old 02/07/2006, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Siapin
I think That's what oama is saying. There have been no reported spawns of a pair. They have not been on the market that long. When I got my 1st pair the wholesaler said that "TFC only got an average of 3 pairs a month,with this morph, out of the parents. that's out of 2 spawns /mth."
I have a male "snowflake" spawning with a 3 1/2 year old female Perc., but my male I have had for just over a year. My other pair I have had for 6 mths.show no signs of spawning.
Old 02/07/2006, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FishnWishn
My other pair I have had for 6 mths.show no signs of spawning.

Should they have shown it already, or is it still early? Is there a clear male vs. female relationship in your pair? Do you think the are going to mate, or are you doubtful?

Old 02/07/2006, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

I think it is too early. If TFC had them at least 10 months before selling them that would only put them at about 14mths old. There is a definite male & female by size and submission. they, however do not clear rocks or anything or even keep other fish away from their Anemone like my other split pair. By the way, The Snowflake male and Perc female are laying their 3rd spawn as I type. This time they laid them on a tile that I put in for them instead of the glass.
Old 02/07/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

fishnwishn

are u raiseing the fry?and if yes how are they comeing ,, how old
if not

thanks
Old 02/07/2006, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

I haven't yet. They have been small spawns and I don't have the really have the time. I do however have my Rot & Phyto cultures ready in case I change my mind. I have been using them to feed my corals. They have been spawning on the glass and I did not want to go through the hassle of setting up my fry trap. I did put in a piece of a broken planter pot in case I wanted to take these out. I tried to take a pic but the eggs are the same color as the piece of pottery. they get darker and shiny black eyes before they hatch and I will take pics then. That should be next Wed. If you search back there are some pics of their 1st spawn about a month ago.
Old 02/08/2006, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

wishin,

can you post pics of them if possible?

tks
Old 01/11/2008, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Cool

just wanted to add that these clowns are becoming very available and more affordable so someone is breeding them [england] pretty fast.
I can get them for $75 but I cannot divulge were from. I'm ordering a pair in a month
Old 01/11/2008, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Is that $75 for a pair? That's crazy. I was told that LA wholesalers are selling them for over $300 per pair, and are only sold to regular customers...no one-timers. Only those retailers that buy lots of clowns (and snowflakes) on a regular basis.

Old 01/11/2008, 02:58 PM
RC Mod

When most folks in the business can't keep snowflake, picasso, or even percula/ocellaris straight, be wary of clown "deals". Very wary.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by traveller7
When most folks in the business can't keep snowflake, picasso, or even percula/ocellaris straight, be wary of clown "deals". Very wary.
I do have a feeling that John rochon might hit the nail on something, I do see alot more snowflake clowns being sold alot more these days comparing to before.

Even Proacquaticx is selling pairs after pairs on ebay, there might be alternative sources.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:41 PM
RC Mod

Could be copy cats, market saturation, or a million other reasons.

One should still be very cautious when dealing with lower priced "named", infrequently available, or delicate clowns.