Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/01/2006, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

I second the coffee bean filter. That or some sort of phosphate remover, but I'm probably way off.
Old 10/01/2006, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

That's a huge skimmer.
Old 10/01/2006, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Spazz, I have a question. Did Bill teach you how to build these oversized poop herders?

Thanks for doing this Spazz. Can anyone give me the link to Bill W 1500g thread? thanks

Sam
Old 10/01/2006, 05:33 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
i bet no one here can guess what this thing does.
Heck Spazz, that's easy.

It's a reverse flux capacitor, of course.

Actually, it is most likely a reticulating loop with DI resin for RO water storage.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days

Last edited by AcroSteve; 10/01/2006 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10/01/2006, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve
Heck Spazz, that's easy.

It's a reverse flux capacitor, of course.

Actually, it is most likely a reticulating loop with DI resin for RO water storage.
I second the DI filter.
Old 10/01/2006, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Does the sump room have a steel grate floor? Is there any way to get from the sump room to directly behind the tank, without walking around the house? Is there going to be any kind of cat walk above the tank?
Old 10/01/2006, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Does the sump room have a steel grate floor? Is there any way to get from the sump room to directly behind the tank, without walking around the house? Is there going to be any kind of cat walk above the tank?
Old 10/01/2006, 09:39 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by My F1sh R D34D!
Spazz, I have a question. Did Bill teach you how to build these oversized poop herders?

Thanks for doing this Spazz. Can anyone give me the link to Bill W 1500g thread? thanks

Sam
yes and no. the very first skimmer built with the dart needle wheel was big ugly. then bill seen the photos and watage draws of that skimmer and decided to replace his rk2 skimmer with a new dart needle wheel design. i went down ot his house and talked shop about it and he started building it right after that. so we both had a part in designing it.
Old 10/01/2006, 09:59 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by jaze36
the sump room is directly behind and below the tank. there will be a plastic grate catwalk that goes in there instead of a wood floor. the entire fish room will be sealed off from the rest of the house. there will be no wood or steel anywhere in the fish room. to easy to rot or rust. even the electrial systme will be sealed off so the coper wire does not corrode.
Old 10/01/2006, 11:01 AM
Monkey

VERY nice.

Hard to imagine though that you'd build a skimmer THAT big without a drain on the collection cup? Unless I"m missing why it's full like that?

At any rate - Might want to have Bill check out the design of the RK2 skimmer self cleaning throat and collection cups. An array of 4 high pressure jets basically eliminates the task of cleaning out the skimmer. That - and they can be set to automatically turn on periodically...

Looks like a fun project.
Old 10/01/2006, 12:08 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamesurq
VERY nice.

Hard to imagine though that you'd build a skimmer THAT big without a drain on the collection cup? Unless I"m missing why it's full like that?

At any rate - Might want to have Bill check out the design of the RK2 skimmer self cleaning throat and collection cups. An array of 4 high pressure jets basically eliminates the task of cleaning out the skimmer. That - and they can be set to automatically turn on periodically...

Looks like a fun project.
there is a drain on that cup. he just lets if fill up to see how much he produces in a 24 hr peroid. bill use to own an rk2 skimmer. it had the wash down system in it. he didnt like it that much to build one for his new skimmers. they work ok but not as well as one would think. i my self would use a wet neck design instead. it will help to keep the production of the skimmer at 100% all the time. but there hard to build.
here is the old rk2 that was replaced by the current skimmer. it performs 5 times better than that rk2 did.
Old 10/01/2006, 01:08 PM
On hobby time out!

What can one say that has not being said before? Not much. This is simply an outstanding project. Hard to imagine for so many people what goes into something like this. Good thing Bill seems to have plenty of a few things: imagination, desire, technical ability, skills, and lack of fear of putting in the work. Kudos to him...............
Old 10/01/2006, 02:37 PM
One Millionth Poster

Exactly what he said.

I like his style. He breaks the mold, and is unafraid.
Old 10/01/2006, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Tis is gonna be wicked! I gotta post at least once so I can feel like im a part of it...
Old 10/01/2006, 07:49 PM
Registered Member.

Wow.....Speechless.
Old 10/01/2006, 08:32 PM
WAMAS member

Spazz,
thanks for doing this and your incredible contributions to the hobby. I have a couple questions about the monster skimmer.

Does it run off of one or two dart NW's?
I remember in the thread in the DIY forum that was closed you and Bill were considering making the neck wider? Did he do so, or does he plan to with the new ones he is building? Just wondering what the result in performance was if he did increase the neck diameter?

TIA
Old 10/01/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Absolutely amazing but as i sit here, little questions come to mind. For most of us we buy buckets of salt, but this guy will need... a dump trucks full! whats his plan for this. LOL the live rocks in my tank would be pebbles in this resevoir, will it be artificial or is he bringing in live rock? I cant wait to see this thing to completion, I would love to see some pics of his current set up if possible.
Old 10/01/2006, 08:53 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by scarletknight06
Spazz,
thanks for doing this and your incredible contributions to the hobby. I have a couple questions about the monster skimmer.

Does it run off of one or two dart NW's?
I remember in the thread in the DIY forum that was closed you and Bill were considering making the neck wider? Did he do so, or does he plan to with the new ones he is building? Just wondering what the result in performance was if he did increase the neck diameter?

TIA
the current skimmer runs off 2 dart needle wheels. the riser tube will be changed in a couple of weeks to an 8" diam riser tube. a 6 in one is no wheres big enough. he might even have to go with a 10 in obne for that skimmer. we think the 8 in will work though. bill was waiting on me to send him the right cnc file for the twist lock. i forgot all about it. he did replace the cone though. the current cone was molded on a die. the original cone was made for bill buy a company out in california that just used a piece of tube pressed into a hot sheet. the new cone performes much better than the old one. now with a new riser tube it should perform even better.
Old 10/01/2006, 08:55 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by jpierson77
Absolutely amazing but as i sit here, little questions come to mind. For most of us we buy buckets of salt, but this guy will need... a dump trucks full! whats his plan for this. LOL the live rocks in my tank would be pebbles in this resevoir, will it be artificial or is he bringing in live rock? I cant wait to see this thing to completion, I would love to see some pics of his current set up if possible.
the guys at instant ocean wont sell bill the supersacks that the big aquariums use. so he has to buy 2-3 pallets of salt. im not sure what salt he plans to use but what ever one it is im sure he will get a discount price on it. any fish store that can sell 2-3 pallets of salt should take a pretty good chunk off the price. then they can get some for themselves at a cheaper rate.
Old 10/01/2006, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

I think that he said he ened up gettin g a couple pallets of either red sea or kent I cant remember. I can't even imagine opening that many buckets of salt.
Old 10/01/2006, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpierson77
LOL the live rocks in my tank would be pebbles in this resevoir, will it be artificial or is he bringing in live rock? I cant wait to see this thing to completion, I would love to see some pics of his current set up if possible.
He said that for liverock he was having a train car full of base rock that is mined in canada brought in. If I remember right he said it was something like 22,000 pounds. Does that sound right spazz?
Old 10/01/2006, 09:07 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve

by the way your right. and it works alot better than a standard di unit.
Old 10/01/2006, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

So then real live rock thats awesome. Is the next train car filled with sand? Im just in shock
Old 10/01/2006, 09:15 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChickenCannoneer
He said that for liverock he was having a train car full of base rock that is mined in canada brought in. If I remember right he said it was something like 22,000 pounds. Does that sound right spazz?
im not sure how many tons it will be but its alot!. and its from canada i guess. there is sone place up ther that has dead base rock from a reef thats was there before we roamed the earth. i guess its very fight rock that is alot like reefer rocks. we will see when his sample of rock shows up.
i think it will be about a half of a semi load of rock. some where between 17000 and 22,000 lbs total. it all depends on how big the rock is. he plans to use thorite to glue the rocks together. he used that on his 1500g tank and it works great with out creating a ph spike. im hoping to make it down there for a weekend to help him glue rock together. then i will really have some pics for you. im hoping to document the entire process of rock work. i just hope he wants come caves in there. that would be cool to have a 3 ft diam cave 4 ft long running from front to back. but we will just have to see what bill has planned. what ever it is it will be cool!
Old 10/01/2006, 09:17 PM
no time for spell check!

he is planning on a sand bed but again im not sure how much it wil be. i think 2 dump truck loads should do the trick. he he he he he