Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2006, 06:13 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
the system will be so big that water changes wont need to be as often as you would think as long as the skimmers can keep up with the bio load of hundreds of fish and corals.

But he should plan for the possibility of a periodic large water change for one reason or another, I suppose.

Like at leas 5,000 gal.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 09/28/2006, 06:20 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve
But he should plan for the possibility of a periodic large water change for one reason or another, I suppose.

Like at leas 5,000 gal.
im sure he has it planned in there somewhere but i never heard for sure wht the plans are yet. i think once its ready to be plumbed he wil have a better plan of attack. the 4 big skimmers are almost finnished. he also has been working on the 18" calcium reactor. its almost finnished. there ae alot of other things he will be building forthe system but im just not sure what they are yet. it was cool to see all the parts sitting there for the surge manifoled. he had a box of 3" air operated butterfly valves that were so beautiful. he is running an electric one righ now on his system but it is not the best inthe world. its slow opening and has been replaced twice already. it cycles about every 60 seconds or so. it dumps 60 gallons of water in 3 seconds.
Old 09/28/2006, 07:10 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Sure is gonna be sweet. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Old 09/28/2006, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

As usual spazz you and Bill build the best
Old 09/28/2006, 07:49 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by nyvp
As usual spazz you and Bill build the best
i cant take credit for any of what he is doing. lol this is all bills idea. but i will take credit for documenting it for others to see.
Old 09/28/2006, 09:16 PM
Grouch Potato

spazz...

spazzz....

spazZ....

spAZZ....

SpAZZ......

SPAZZ......

SPAZZZ.....

SPAZZZZ!!!!!!

SPAZZZZZ!!!!!!
Old 09/28/2006, 09:22 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnfallon
spazz...

spazzz....

spazZ....

spAZZ....

SpAZZ......

SPAZZ......

SPAZZZ.....

SPAZZZZ!!!!!!

SPAZZZZZ!!!!!!

yesssssss?????? you called.
Old 09/28/2006, 10:04 PM
Moved On

keep up the good work
Old 09/29/2006, 04:29 AM
Registered Member

WOOW one of sick project.!!!!
Old 09/29/2006, 05:33 AM
Moved On

Spazz, drive to chicago, rent a motorhome, live on site, and document this entire build. Please!!!

Just kidding!!

now quite reading this and get to work!!!!!

LOL
Old 09/29/2006, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

this is being built in chicago? sweeeet, i almost wanna try and visit when im out there next weekend... ;-)
Old 09/29/2006, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

Is he going to use Tunze or Vortechs? Ha ha ha.
Old 09/29/2006, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

i know this might not be an issue up in chicago but in miami it is. but lets say you guys get a power outage and they tell you it might last about 1 week like it does down here. does he have any backup. Cause i think he might need atleast a 25,000kw Generator just for the system and some things in the house. I mean im not an electrition but that is my opinion. Correct me if im wrong pleas.
Councelor: Any one else want to admit. :)
Old 09/29/2006, 10:46 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Be sure to check out the new 6300 Tunze streams for shure.

Old 09/29/2006, 10:50 AM
On hobby time out!

When Bill told me about that tank a long time ago, I though he lost his mind for sure. More power to him for doing something of this magnitude. I am certainly curious to see some of the DIY stuff he has in mind/works for this tank.
Old 09/29/2006, 11:07 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve
Be sure to check out the new 6300 Tunze streams for shure.
with a 2000g surge tank he wont need the tunze streams. he is not very impressed with them anyways. there way over priced. for the small areas that need a little extra flow he is going to try to convert some 1260 or 1262 eheims to stream style pumps. i brought over one of my 1250 eheim conversions for him to play with. he plans to build bigger versions of those. they should flow about 8000g an hour with the right prop. and there alot cheaper to build.
Old 09/29/2006, 11:10 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by CiroFuentes22
i know this might not be an issue up in chicago but in miami it is. but lets say you guys get a power outage and they tell you it might last about 1 week like it does down here. does he have any backup. Cause i think he might need atleast a 25,000kw Generator just for the system and some things in the house. I mean im not an electrition but that is my opinion. Correct me if im wrong pleas.
bill was just talking about that, he just bought a big 4 cylinder. natural gas generator lat would be big enough to run the entire house with out a problem. i think its a 20-25k generator.
Old 09/29/2006, 11:20 AM
Flips"R"us...U?

spazz
This project is enormous financialy and "reeficialy". I am sure Bill planned this system for awhile now and pretty much covered every little details into this project. Good luck to Bill and thanks Spazz for covering this one of a kind project!
Many of us will be tagging along on this ride and surely many of us will be drooling as this system progress.
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 09/29/2006, 03:23 PM
Actiniaria Addict

That is going to be one heckuva tank. Tagging along to keep up with the progress. Thanks for doing this spazz.

-Sonja
Old 09/29/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
bill was just talking about that, he just bought a big 4 cylinder. natural gas generator lat would be big enough to run the entire house with out a problem. i think its a 20-25k generator.
in my opinion desil is the most eficiant when you are going big like past 20k. For some reason it runs quieter and doesnt waist t much gas. The one that i run in my office building is a 25k wit a 50g tank and it runs the full office wit no prob for 1 weak and a half on 40 gallons. nonstop. (i work from 5 to 11 sometimes)
Councelor: Any one else want to admit. :)
Old 09/29/2006, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

WOW ...

Wondering how much this project will cost. Are you sure his name is not Bill Gate??
Old 09/29/2006, 05:13 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

Quote:
Originally posted by Elite
WOW ...

Wondering how much this project will cost. Are you sure his name is not Bill Gate??
Surely, the cost of this project after it is all completed will be astronomical not to mention the maintenance alone, ie electricity and such. I guess not knowing the exact number is a bliss.
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 09/29/2006, 05:47 PM
no time for spell check!

you guys have to remember one thing. yes bill has some money. he owns a ferrari spider. but he dont waist money either. his house is huge. its about 9500 sq ft. of finnished space. but alot of the finnish work will be done by bill himself. not contractors. all the flooring and trim work will be installed by bill along with all the electrical. that alone will save him so much money that it pays for the cost of installing the tank and sumps. its kind of a trade off. i bet(dont know for sure) if bill didnt do any of the work himself this house with this tank would cost him about 3 million dollars. but i know for a fact its alot less than that(please dont ask how much its not my place to say). and he is saving a boat load of money building his own equiptment for the system. he got a quote (for the 1500g tank he currently has) for 2 skimmers for that system. it woul have cost him almost $20,000 for the skimmers he would have needed. and that tank is 10 times smaller that this one. but all 4 of the skimmers that bill has built for this new tank cost him less than $15,000. when you start saving $5,000 here and $10,000 there you can have alot bigger tank for the same amount of money. plus bill is pretty good at getting stuff used for cheap prices. and before you ask, no i wont ask him to find you stuff. l0l. he has alot of business partners all over the world. that helps him get weard things to use for his tanks.
Old 09/29/2006, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Cool...taging along.
Old 09/29/2006, 07:09 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Quote:
Originally posted by CiroFuentes22
[B The one that i run in my office building is a 25k wit a 50g tank and it runs the full office wit no prob for 1 weak and a half on 40 gallons. nonstop. (i work from 5 to 11 sometimes) [/B]
Is it just me, or does anybody else find this hard to believe?

That's like 2-1/2 cups per hour for 25,000 watts. Ain't gonna happen.