Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2006, 02:50 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland Jacques
Spazz,

Just thinking, now that you have achieved bubble that are "too small" this could be a good thing. Maybe that would give you the ability to mount the pump up high on the skimmer body and plumb the water/air down to the diffusser. i Know this was looked into earlier but it made the bubbles to big. Maybe this way the bubbles will be the size you want them. Maybe even eliminate the need for a air pump.

Lots of "Maybe's" but thats all i got.
i understand what your saying but i dont think this would work. the reason is, the higher the air/water ratio gets the shorter the output plumbing needs to be. other wise the bubbles colapse and join forming bigger bubbles.
Old 09/05/2006, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

hey spazz,
i had an idea for your problems with trying to force water into the skimmer. lets say 4" pvc pipe, thats as tall as the skimmer itself, that has a flat bottom and an elbow on the flat bottom, in the center. the elbow directly feeds the pump, and b/c of gravity it is force feeding the skimmer pump, in essence. if its not enough, you can go taller, or bigger in diameter. the tube could then be fed by the overflow directly, providing the best water possible for skimming.

you could fab up some mounts where the tube supported its own weight, and run with it from there.

i only read the last few pages so i dunno if this is exactly what you need for the problem you have, not so much problem but getting the extreme most out of your skimmer

what do you think?
Old 09/05/2006, 09:49 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigger240
hey spazz,
i had an idea for your problems with trying to force water into the skimmer. lets say 4" pvc pipe, thats as tall as the skimmer itself, that has a flat bottom and an elbow on the flat bottom, in the center. the elbow directly feeds the pump, and b/c of gravity it is force feeding the skimmer pump, in essence. if its not enough, you can go taller, or bigger in diameter. the tube could then be fed by the overflow directly, providing the best water possible for skimming.

you could fab up some mounts where the tube supported its own weight, and run with it from there.

i only read the last few pages so i dunno if this is exactly what you need for the problem you have, not so much problem but getting the extreme most out of your skimmer

what do you think?
if you look athe pictures in the beginning this is how it is set up already. but it also has a tee fitting inside the box so it is a recirc skimmer also. it pulls more water than what is pulled from the inlet pipe. im working on the problem and have it just about fixed.
Old 09/05/2006, 11:35 AM
TRC Leader

Spazz, I sent you a PM yesterday about an unrelated project.