Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/29/2006, 04:14 AM
no time for spell check!

would you do this to a new pump?

would you do this to a brand new pump right out of the box even if it voided the warrantee?

Old 04/29/2006, 04:23 AM
Moved On

sure, why not?
Old 04/29/2006, 04:25 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Why not?

I figure if you need something and you can't buy it like you need, build it or modify it.

On a side note, Do you ever sleep?

Glad to see you continue this project.

Didi you happen to check the amp draw with the stock impeller?

What are the extra holes for? I have seen a commercial impeller with them, and wondered it at that time too. Or are they just because they where already in the program?

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 04/29/2006, 04:29 AM
Big 12 Ballin'

Spazz, I was so shocked to see you posting! As steve said, I'm also glad to see you continuing the project.

I look foward to more,
Daniel

You might be a reefneck!
Old 04/29/2006, 04:32 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve
Why not?

I figure if you need something and you can't buy it like you need, build it or modify it.

On a side note, Do you ever sleep?

Glad to see you continue this project.

Didi you happen to check the amp draw with the stock impeller?
it says 90 watts as a pump. but that will go down with the needle wheel and the air pump running on it. i figure it should run about 90 watts with both the air pump and needle wheel running. im hoping to push 100scfh through the pump. but wont know until i get the test tank made. i lost big ugly for a test tank. lol. so now i have to find another one. hoping to do some testing with it tomorrow if i can figure out a test tank. i need to see how small the bubbles will be. the one thing i was suprised about is how quiet this littl pump is. its a very well built pump and is perfect for this conversion. the mounts allow you to turn the pump so the output is to the side and the cover pops right off the front with 4 screws. the seal is just like the dart pumps. and it comes with the 2 quick release unions. awesome little pump.
Old 04/29/2006, 04:33 AM
no time for spell check!

o btw sleep is for dead people. ha ha ha ha i only have one foot in the grave. ha ha ha ha

oops missed a question. the extra holes are to lighten up the flywheel weight of the impellor. and incase i messed up and need more pins. ha ha ha safety thing so i dont need to remake the wheel again.
Old 04/29/2006, 04:37 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by nebraskareef
Spazz, I was so shocked to see you posting! As steve said, I'm also glad to see you continuing the project.

I look foward to more,
Daniel
you cant stop a true addict unless you shoot him. ha ha ha ha
Old 04/29/2006, 05:19 AM
Big 12 Ballin'

Spazz.

J/k buddy, keep up the good work.

You might be a reefneck!
Old 04/29/2006, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Spazz, I notice the pump your using has a stainless steel impeller shaft. Won't that cause a problem, in the long run? I'm asking because I've been wanting to use a similar pump but have been afraid to as I've always heard "no stainless steel in salt water".

Thanks, Tom
Old 04/29/2006, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
o btw sleep is for dead people. ha ha ha ha i only have one foot in the grave. ha ha ha ha
I noticed that in the first picture of the pump you have a can of Mountain Dew, this must be a little bit of help with the little sleep
Old 04/29/2006, 12:18 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by GlassReef
Spazz, I notice the pump your using has a stainless steel impeller shaft. Won't that cause a problem, in the long run? I'm asking because I've been wanting to use a similar pump but have been afraid to as I've always heard "no stainless steel in salt water".

Thanks, Tom
its not finnished yet. i have to put an end cap over the stub of the shaft. then the shaft will be completly sealed off from the wet end of the pump. the seal is the same seal that the dart pumps use. its the perfect little pump for this conversion.
Old 04/29/2006, 12:19 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by marm64
I noticed that in the first picture of the pump you have a can of Mountain Dew, this must be a little bit of help with the little sleep
well 3-4 mt dew's and a tripple espresso will keep me going all day.
Old 04/29/2006, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I would, but I also took a CSS 65 turned it into a 4FT skimmer and have it on a 29 Gallon.

(PS where did you get that pump if I may ask?)
Old 04/29/2006, 02:30 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by mhj1580
Yes, I would, but I also took a CSS 65 turned it into a 4FT skimmer and have it on a 29 Gallon.

(PS where did you get that pump if I may ask?)
i bought the pump from tse koi inc. i will try and post a link to there site if i can find it again. otherwise just do a google search for tiny might pumps.
Old 04/29/2006, 02:31 PM
Watt Miser Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by mhj1580
...(PS where did you get that pump if I may ask?)
Here is one potential source...
http://www.lagunakoi.com/koishop/cgi...AIL&item=25050
Old 04/29/2006, 02:34 PM
no time for spell check!

here is the place i got mine. its alot cheaper and comes with the unions also. i paid $131.68 shipped to my door.

www.tsekoi.com
Old 04/29/2006, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Hey spazz,
That looks really cool. Does the needle wheel still fit inside the stock housing?
And how did you remove the impellar?

Does it just pop off or something?

thanks
Old 04/29/2006, 03:45 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by won digity
Hey spazz,
That looks really cool. Does the needle wheel still fit inside the stock housing?
And how did you remove the impellar?

Does it just pop off or something?

thanks
the wheel will fit in the housing after i trim it down to fit. the original impellor just unscrews from the shaft. but you have to be careful with the seal on the back side of the impellor. its ceramica nd will break easy if you dont take you time removing it from the impellor. its the exact same seal that sequence uses on the dart pumps. but its alot smaller in size.
Old 04/29/2006, 04:51 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

HOLY CRAPOLA that thing looks amazing

i'm sorry i didn't catch in the old thread why you are using the tiny might pump? never heard of them before

can't wait to see pics spazz!! if you ever need a beta tester for a small skimmer let me know

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 04/29/2006, 04:56 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
HOLY CRAPOLA that thing looks amazing

i'm sorry i didn't catch in the old thread why you are using the tiny might pump? never heard of them before

can't wait to see pics spazz!! if you ever need a beta tester for a small skimmer let me know

Lunchbucket
to me the smallest skimmer would be an 8" skimmer. ha ha ha and those are too small for this pump. this pump would be better on a 10" -12" diam skimmer.
Old 04/29/2006, 04:58 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

so why did you choose this pump?

well if you need an 8" tested (w/ an appropriate pump) let me know

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 04/29/2006, 05:03 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
so why did you choose this pump?

well if you need an 8" tested (w/ an appropriate pump) let me know

Lunchbucket
i run an 8" skimmer on my 120. lol. so i have all the testing i need there.
i chose this pump because another guy had posted pics of it and its direct drive not a mag drive. mag drive pumps are very fdificult to convert to a needle wheel. the inside of this pump is just like the sequence pumps are the seals is made the same and the impellor is mounted the same way. its just smaller in size.
Old 04/29/2006, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Ha! Ha! I called dibbs on the tester position when I introduced the pump as a possibility for medium size skimmers!

Mike
Old 04/29/2006, 05:10 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by smjtkj
Ha! Ha! I called dibbs on the tester position when I introduced the pump as a possibility for medium size skimmers!

Mike
i was wondering when you were going to chim in here. ha ha ha ha ha
are you sure you want to spend the money on a new pump just to void the warrantee on it? i wouldnt supply the pump and you would have to install the pins in the wheel. as long as you understand that i wil take your request under consideration seeing you helped find this pump. ha ha ha
Old 04/29/2006, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Of course dude! I will get one ordered today. When you gonna give me a call? I sent the number to your email..

Mike