Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2005, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

hey spazz, when are you going to start building aquariums that size???
Old 10/18/2005, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Dude, Can I post one more freaking time here that Im not nitpicking anything so back the hell off. Im not jealous of the tank one bit Its a nice tank, and if I wanted to deal with anything larger than the tank I have I would.
SOme people just jump to conculusions. From the original pics to me it didn't look 15x5 is all. For crying out that is all. I posted many many times that its an amazing tank.
Old 10/18/2005, 12:24 PM
Buckeye Fan

That is simply incredible and insane at the same time.
I thought I was nuts.

It's better to burnout, than to fade away. Neil Young
Old 10/18/2005, 12:30 PM
reef aquarium god

my 360 has never looked so small.

that thing is a MONSTER..i wonder what he had to buy the wife to allow construction of that tank!

cant wait for more pics..and get some detailed specs for us!
Old 10/18/2005, 01:50 PM
Burned Out

Tank looks awesome. I saw it empty and it was jaw dropping then.

Good Job ******. I hope to get up there to see it again eventually. I still need to bring you some corals.

Thanks Spazz for puttin up the pics. Don't beat yourself up about the pics. They look nice.

I think I have the same reactor and skimmer for my tank. I had them built extra large with add on capacity when I saw this tank. I also tried to get my tank a little bigger but the wife knocked me back down to earth. You truly have to stand next to that tank to appreciate its size.

Gooch
Old 10/18/2005, 02:06 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by sls
hey spazz, when are you going to start building aquariums that size???
never! lol
Old 10/18/2005, 02:10 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by sabodish
my 360 has never looked so small.

that thing is a MONSTER..i wonder what he had to buy the wife to allow construction of that tank!

cant wait for more pics..and get some detailed specs for us!
if i remember correctly he said that his wife asked for a fireplace in the new part of the house. so she got a beautiful split rock fire place just across from the tank. now how could you not agree to a deal like that.
Old 10/18/2005, 02:13 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by gooch
Tank looks awesome. I saw it empty and it was jaw dropping then.

Good Job ******. I hope to get up there to see it again eventually. I still need to bring you some corals.

Thanks Spazz for puttin up the pics. Don't beat yourself up about the pics. They look nice.

I think I have the same reactor and skimmer for my tank. I had them built extra large with add on capacity when I saw this tank. I also tried to get my tank a little bigger but the wife knocked me back down to earth. You truly have to stand next to that tank to appreciate its size.

Gooch
one of these days i have to stop by your place when im in green bay. i hear your system is awesome too.
Old 10/18/2005, 02:35 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

i might get ot see it on Monday if i do i'll make sure to take PLENTY of pics!!!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 10/18/2005, 03:02 PM
Burned Out

My tank won't be set up for months. I just got the floor put in today. I should get started on it in December......maybe. I almost sold the whole works yesterday.
Old 10/18/2005, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

I remember seeing this tank when it was finished on the the floor and is great to see it finally stocked and nice to see how the stingrays are incorporated into the reef.
AMAZING TANK!!
Old 10/18/2005, 04:28 PM
clown addict

Spazz thanks for sharing these pictures. I cant wait to see the next round of shots. I spend hours in front of my little reef. The owner must spend weeks in front of his!
Old 10/18/2005, 07:35 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

gooch why you almost sell it all yesterday??

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 10/18/2005, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

I received a call from the owner of this aquarium today to notify me that this thread had been started on Reef Central and that it might be a good idea to post.

I am the owner of Midwest Custom Aquarium and had the pleasure of building the tank on site for the owner. I would have to reiterate the first post of this thread and mention again that he is your normal everyday fellow, a sincerely good guy and not a millionaire who had this system up and running with the signing of a check. His family seems to be high on his list of priorities and because it is a busy time of the year for his work schedule, simply does not have the time to put into a thread and thus has asked to not be involved for the time being. He has indicated that he may step in if he finds the time in the future and may be able to answer some of the questions that only he himself would be able to answer for you. I am sure there are many and it is not hard to imagine that many hours out of one's week could easily be spent on just answering questions.

I should mention that I am not a regular visitor to Reef Central. Although I am a member, I have maybe posted a time or two and do not plan on checking back on this thread very often as it is a busy time of year for me also. I have been asked to post in case anybody has questions regarding the tank itself. As I mentioned, I will probably not be able to post or answer any questions here on Reef Central due to time constraints but I can be reached at the shop at 866-682-4498 or can be emailed directly at info@midwestcustomaquariums.com.

The tank itself is 100% acrylic. The outside dimensions are 184" long (over 15 feet), 60" deep, and 33" tall. The ends, bottom, and top are sunk into the rockwork which take up some viewing space but give a nice finished look. The liverock does have a PVC base onder some of it for a platform. I would have to agree that the pictures do not do it justice and that it does seem smaller in the pics. I am sure more pics will surface on this thread that may give a better idea. The pics of construction shown earlier are from our website and are the pics of that tank being built.

I would like to say that the owner should receive full credit for the design of this system....I built the tank only. From day one, he incorporated many features into the system that are beneficial to its health and maintenance. For example, there is a lot of heat generated my the thousands of watts of halides, which can be harnessed and used to heat the living space during the winter by the use of fans and ducts built into the house during construction. That is a lot of BTU's which are valuable to us up here in Minnesota during the winter months, especially with rising energy costs.

I have not been over and seen the tank personally since the first live rock was put in, put did see his former tanks and can say that they probably held the healthiest livestock I had ever seen. From the looks of the photos, this tank is on the same track. An experienced reefkeeper, only the owner could accurately tell you about his techniques and equipment used and deserves a lot of credit for the system he has worked very hard to put together. Please extend him some courtesy if he does happen to start posting by not hammering him with an extensive amount of questions.

Thank you,
Chris Boelke
Midwest Custom Aquarium
Old 10/18/2005, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for clearing things up, Truely an amazing tank
Erik
Old 10/18/2005, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Truely awesome tank.

Can somebody comment on how humidity is handled in the summer months with that volume of water?

Thanks!
Ron
Old 10/18/2005, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Amazing tank, that really inspires! Maybe his friend could ask him some of the questions for us. Sounds like a nice guy. Can't wait to see more pics!
Old 10/18/2005, 10:02 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by law086
Truely awesome tank.

Can somebody comment on how humidity is handled in the summer months with that volume of water?

Thanks!
Ron
hmidity is handled in 3 ways. first is direct venting of the fish room outdoors. then there is an airconditioner in the fish room just to handle the excess heat in the room. then on top of that there is central air through out the house that adds cooling and dehimidifying. but he said that because the house is a log home and the wood use to make the house so dry that they had nose bleads and such happening. the tank helps to bring up the humidity just enough to be comfortable but not ove humid.
Old 10/18/2005, 11:15 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

nice say to combat humidity...a log house! maybe mr 4000 should have tried that

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 10/19/2005, 05:36 AM
Burned Out

Hey Lunch,

When the wife realized we could remodel the whole house by just selling the tank,equipment and livestock within she made a few comments about selling. I do not think either of us were seriously considering it but if the contractor would have been willing we would have put serious thought into it. IF someone gave me my asking price I would sell it for sure.
Old 10/19/2005, 06:06 AM
Reef Addict

more more
Old 10/19/2005, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

wowwowowowowow!!!
Old 10/19/2005, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

How's it comming with the video....? Will he let you film the tank??

Bob
Old 10/19/2005, 11:20 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by fishman805
How's it comming with the video....? Will he let you film the tank??

Bob
dont know yet i dont want to bug him too much. will find out in a week or so.
Old 10/19/2005, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
dont know yet i dont want to bug him too much. will find out in a week or so.
I fully understand.... I'll keep tagging along ....

Thanks

Bob