Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2005, 09:43 PM
Needing a job

VERY nice.
Old 06/13/2005, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Great looking skimmer
Old 06/14/2005, 08:03 PM
no time for spell check!

These are heavly modified standard bulkheads.
Old 06/14/2005, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

what type of volute are you using on the pumps to get air into the system?
Old 06/15/2005, 08:18 PM
no time for spell check!

Haven't completed the venturies yet...
Old 06/15/2005, 11:49 PM
w00000000000t

why is the transition reducing cone black in one pic and clear in the other? are they two different ones for different riser neck sizes?
Old 06/17/2005, 05:42 PM
no time for spell check!

i was wondering how long it would take someone to notice that little deception. that cone is for another skimmer im building. i wanted to show him what his skimmer would look like.
Old 06/19/2005, 12:32 AM
no time for spell check!

here is all the pumps fitted to the skimmer body. the venturies are fitted just below the pump where the black pvc meets the white pvc. i still dont have my keyed flanges yet but hopefuly soon. im going to get all the parts fitted first before i start gluing everything together. that way i dont have to cut a mistake apart.

Old 06/19/2005, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Looking good! Are the pumps needlewheel and what size are the bulkhead? Are you running all the water for the wet neck thru the calcium reactor (I read it as tapped off)? thanks steve
Old 06/19/2005, 09:34 AM
no time for spell check!

the bulkheads are 3/4 and 1/2. the feed water for mine will come off the line that feeds the reactor.it will be between the pump and reactor. also the out feed line for the reactor will go into the skimmer to clean out any excess co2
yep needle wheel
Old 06/19/2005, 06:12 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

looking hella nice. keep updating pics please

oh got my fittings i needed. wet neck should be up and running tomorrow night

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/19/2005, 10:14 PM
no time for spell check!

here is the other skimmer im building for a friend. its a wee bit larger than mine. but he dont have a hight limitation like i do. im not sure what pumps he will use but i think they will be ocean runners.
Old 06/20/2005, 08:36 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

umm yeah that is a weeeee bit bigger. yours looks short and squatty..but can't wait to see it up and running

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/20/2005, 09:24 PM
Reef Slave

Wow!! Nice Nice Work! Cant wait to see it in action!
Old 06/28/2005, 03:55 PM
no time for spell check!

update....

well it is still not finished yet. i have all the pumps mounted and did a test to see if there was any leaks. the pumps are so quiet that the bubbles popping at the top of the water is the loudest thing you hear. the intake air lines are even silent. the bubbles are nice and small. these are the best pumps on the market as far as im concerned. i cant wait for my keyed flanges to show up so i can get this bubble monster hooked to the tank and see what it will pull for skimmate.
Old 06/28/2005, 04:05 PM
no time for spell check!

i did a test with the watt meter to see what it drew for power. they state that the pumps are 38watts each but mine only pulled 35 watts each for a total of 140 watts. thats a plesent suprise.
its nice that they are effecient and quiet to boot. plus cost less than a sedra.
Old 06/28/2005, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Looks great! Could you put up some more info on the OR pumps -

What did you use as a venturi? Are the output of the pumps metric? I've heard great things about them and I'm excited that you ended up using them.
Old 06/28/2005, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

More than well done spazz! I'm also gonna build something like that but still looking around for parts... puh!
Old 06/28/2005, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

I love your skimmer! I'm a big fan of the OR 2700s since I used one to replace the Sedra 5000 on my CS 6-2+. Do you have details on the air intake for the OR 2700s?

ejasmrhere, you can get the OR 2700s for $49.95 from Custom Aquatic.
I'll find my soul as I go home
Old 06/28/2005, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Nice. I will have to look into picking one of those up soon. Now we'll have to keep bugging spazz to give us more info on the plumbing and the venturi
Old 06/28/2005, 06:25 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by ejamsrhere
Nice. I will have to look into picking one of those up soon. Now we'll have to keep bugging spazz to give us more info on the plumbing and the venturi
give me a few hours and i will give you all the info on how i built the venturi. im in the middle of gluing a 4"x4"x1" clam tank for a friend. and cant be away long. its so cheap and simple it will shock you.
just a hint to give you something to reasearch, marinedepot in the john gust fitting section is where i got the fitting and did some intence mods to it. i will post pics of the mods and tools to make it.
Old 06/28/2005, 10:36 PM
no time for spell check!

sorry guys i started to look for that fitting at marine depot and i realized i got it at priemum aquatics. here is the exact fitting. if you sand off the washer in the middle so its just a tube with a barbed end then sand the end at a 45 deg angle. and to add just a little more air drill very small holed down the end of it .

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...Code=johnguest
i drilled the 1/4" hole on the metric fitting that is threaded to the pump housing.
i will make a fitting and post a pic tomorrow. im so busy with this tank right now.
Old 06/29/2005, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

SPAZZ

As you mount OR pumps on a skimmer.. Do you have any problems if air stay in pump when the pump is switched off.
Is there any possibility to stay enough air in the pump and then when you start pump it pinwheel spin around in air and therefore pump can not suck any water?

You are using OR2700 pumps form Aqua Medic with internal pin wheel impeller?
Old 06/29/2005, 04:04 AM
w00000000000t

make sure you support the airline tubes up towards the top of the skimmer or the water will spill out if you ever turn the recirculating pumps off but I'm sure you already know that.
Old 06/29/2005, 05:38 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by merlock116
make sure you support the airline tubes up towards the top of the skimmer or the water will spill out if you ever turn the recirculating pumps off but I'm sure you already know that.
yep this was just a wet test in the driveway. wanted to test for leaks in the plumming.