Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/23/2005, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

sweet. man i wanna make one that big for my tank. how big is your skimmer body and how did you make the cup or did it come like that?

thanks,
Mark
Old 08/23/2005, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

They just restrict the intake of the pump to allow the achievement of low pressure to draw in air

hrmmm premature cavitationm comes to mind...

Ok so it wasnt that funny.
Old 08/23/2005, 03:18 PM
10 & Over Club

I think what I'm missing is how the union fits over the remainder of the metric union.

To illustrate; you have a hexagonal portion of the metric fitting remaining; you glue a round union piece over this, that is large enough to fit.

So.... did you bore out the 1" union female to fit over the hexagonal collar or did you just get lucky and it fit; using weldon 40 to fill the gaps and ensure a proper seal?
Old 08/23/2005, 04:04 PM
no time for spell check!

when you trim off some of the standard union and you trim off the metric fittings just above the hex part both pices sit flat on top of each other. it makes for a smooth wide glueing surface.
Old 08/23/2005, 04:33 PM
10 & Over Club

gotcha
Old 09/18/2005, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Spazz, I see you used sch 80 for the unions, is there a reason, or could you run with the sch 40's?
Old 09/23/2005, 06:03 PM
no time for spell check!

i use sch 80 so it looks nicer. you dont need to use it though.
Old 07/16/2006, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

I have read a lot of contradictory information regarding the type of fittings that are now coming on the 3700 pumps.

Some folks are getting a metric union on the output with a GLUED ON ELBOW on the input. Others are getting the same pump with a fitting that can be unthreaded from the input.

ANYBODY have any idea what is being shipped now, and from where? A few people have indicated that the units with the glued on elbow are not workable at all because once you cut it off, there is nothing left to glue to.
Old 07/16/2006, 10:24 PM
no time for spell check!

from what i know they are selling the 2700's with the elbow on them but i have never heard of them gluing them on. the 3700's just come with thehalf of a union metric fitting on them.
Old 07/16/2006, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

So you are saying the half attached to the pump on the 3700s is metric? I am a bit leary about hacking off the union and glueing another in it's place. Kind of scary for an external skimmer where a break has the chance of causing a flood.
Old 07/27/2006, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
So you are saying the half attached to the pump on the 3700s is metric? I am a bit leary about hacking off the union and glueing another in it's place. Kind of scary for an external skimmer where a break has the chance of causing a flood.
I just ordered a 3700 Bean, I'll update when it gets here.
Old 07/27/2006, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

I ordered from PA, and I had to cut everything off. The elbow and the threads. I was able to glue what ever I wanted onto the smooth ends, so it really shouldn't be a problem.

Rich
Old 07/27/2006, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Mine did not come with an elbow on it. It came with a half a threaded metric union on the output and a threaded input.

You can get the metric union parts from the EU (with Metric or Standard internal threads or slip). However the B&K unions thread right onto the output, as mentioned you will have to do a bit of work to get the o-ring to seal (replace it with a fatter one or make a gasket).

A 1" union will glue right over the threads on the front of the unit (just as spazz and others have shown). I used underwater rated epoxy instead of Weld-On. If you wanted you could also cross thread a 1" fitting onto the input side, but I prefered the glue.
Old 08/19/2006, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

spazz, do you have any pics of the inside, finished, before filled with water. Really great work!!
Old 08/19/2006, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal

Some folks are getting a metric union on the output with a GLUED ON ELBOW on the input. Others are getting the same pump with a fitting that can be unthreaded from the input.

ANYBODY have any idea what is being shipped now, and from where? A few people have indicated that the units with the glued on elbow are not workable at all because once you cut it off, there is nothing left to glue to.
As promised . . .

I just got in two of the 3700's one from two different retailers I might add. AND they are identical in that there is a metric 1/2 union on the discharge and a metric male inlet. Is the epoxy that you used on the inlet holding Bean?

SPAZZ, is the epoxy holding ok on the glued fittings that you used? I guess I am faced with the same method and my pumps will be sitting outside of the sump. I am not so concerned about a burst as I am a leak. A butt joint does seem a little spookie.
Old 08/19/2006, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

BTW, I got one pump from The Doctors and one from Aquacave.
Old 08/19/2006, 06:55 PM
Xenia Farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuby2k
BTW, I got one pump from The Doctors and one from Aquacave.
Can you give me the link at Aquacave? I could only find the 3500.
Old 08/20/2006, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113771

It's the last item on the page in the order box.