Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2005, 12:42 AM
no time for spell check!

unique tank and plumbing(lots of pics)

here is my new 120 galon tank im putting together. its unique in its design because of the external overflow with the closed loop running through the overflow box. the skimmer will be fed off this box also. i dont have any of the pipes glued together yet. im still fitting everything together. i have to add unions into some of the pipes along with shut off valves. there is one drain pipe missing also.
im looking to maximize the flow and remove some of the restriction in the plumbing by bending the pipe instead of using 90deg fittings. there is one pipe that comes off the side of the overflow box with a valve on it. thats to feed the skimmer.
what would you change? what would you leave alone?

Old 08/07/2005, 12:46 AM
no time for spell check!

Old 08/07/2005, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Spazz,
How are you bending the pipe? Are you packing it with sand to keep it from collapsing when you bend it? Heat? I've rolled aluminum but never pvc.
Be nice to see your technique.
If I had room I would sweep everything.

Thomas
Old 08/07/2005, 01:05 AM
no time for spell check!

i use a pvc bender. it wraps around the pipe and heats it to the right temp to make it flexable. its a handy tool to have when installing pvc. it will bend up to 1 1/2" pvc.
Old 08/07/2005, 02:28 AM
Premium Member

You in the trades or are you just a hardcore DIY guy?
I like the overflow. Keeps the tank looking clean inside.
I just came in from doing some dry fitting on my project. You get a good deal on Bulkheads, or atleast quality bulkheads? I need 6 1" but don't want to order them by looking at a pencil sketch on a webpage. My 3/4 bulkheads are
poly. They're great. I tried to get 1" poly but the hole needed jumped from 1.375 to 2.25. What type do you use?
Old 08/07/2005, 02:50 AM
The Original Happy Banana

I also considered a closed loop out of my overflow but I considered just how many bubbles are present in the overflow. You'll likely get some serious cavitation/microbubbles being sent back to the display tank. Have you thought about how to overcome that?
Old 08/07/2005, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

Spazz who sales the pvc bender?
Old 08/07/2005, 06:40 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
GreenLee sells one...it really an electrical tool. we use it because we need the big 90 degree sweeps to pull the wire through the electrical pvc conduit...when you make your sweeps you should actually heat it up nice, then make or find a round object (say a 5 gallon bucket) and bend it around the object, that way you have a nice even bend and not some of the bends sharper/shallower...it makes it look a lot better...but for my tank i think that the plumbing elbows work out just fine, with the right size pump you dont need to compensate for the sharp turns....
Old 08/07/2005, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

What happens when the return pump goes out and water is not high enough to go to the overflow? Won't this have a chain reaction and shut off your skimmer and circulation as well, making it not really a closed loop? Maybe I didn't see something in the pics or something...

Gabe
Old 08/07/2005, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

About the PVC bender, when you bend it with the tool does it make the diameter smaller at that location? I've tried the heating method and manually bending it but the PVC always end up too skinny at the bends. I gave up and used elbows.

Gabe
Old 08/07/2005, 10:21 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by tha_reids
You in the trades or are you just a hardcore DIY guy?
I like the overflow. Keeps the tank looking clean inside.
I just came in from doing some dry fitting on my project. You get a good deal on Bulkheads, or atleast quality bulkheads? I need 6 1" but don't want to order them by looking at a pencil sketch on a webpage. My 3/4 bulkheads are
poly. They're great. I tried to get 1" poly but the hole needed jumped from 1.375 to 2.25. What type do you use?
the bulkheads are standard ones you get from preimum aquatics.
Old 08/07/2005, 10:23 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
i got mine from northern tool
Old 08/07/2005, 10:26 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by gabe3d
What happens when the return pump goes out and water is not high enough to go to the overflow? Won't this have a chain reaction and shut off your skimmer and circulation as well, making it not really a closed loop? Maybe I didn't see something in the pics or something...

Gabe
there should be enough water in the box to circulate around the tank and out into the box. the deresos are tall and the closed loop sucks right from the bottom of the overflow box. so it shouldnt be a problem. thr skimmer comes off the top also. we will see later today.
Old 08/07/2005, 10:28 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by gabe3d
About the PVC bender, when you bend it with the tool does it make the diameter smaller at that location? I've tried the heating method and manually bending it but the PVC always end up too skinny at the bends. I gave up and used elbows.

Gabe
it heats the pipe evenly enough so the pipe flexes with out shrinking it down. you have a little flatening at first but you squeeze it wih your hands while its cooling down. you can get them round if you take your time.
Old 08/07/2005, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Thanks spazz.

gab3d,
If you duct tape one end, fill with playsand, tape other end shut, it should not loose its roundness in the bend. I have not done this with pvc but large diameter aluminum pipe works. I want to give it a try but am short on play sand...

I like spazz's posts cuz of the many photos and clean work.
Keep it up. I was eyeballing your drop under the table
Old 08/25/2005, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Spazz......PM'd ya
Old 08/25/2005, 05:06 PM
Left-wing conspirator

why are there no unions on the suction and discharge of the CL pump? edit...never mind, just read the first post more carefully