Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

what if we put ehinata to touch this coral and see if any damage?
Old 11/15/2007, 07:41 AM
Moved On

you first My pieces cost more than a 100 polyp micro colony I bought a while back.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

lol
Old 11/27/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Acan, but I don't think you can.
Old 11/27/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

I wish I had one.....
Old 11/27/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Any acan experts out there have any ideas what me, grisha and xylenol actually have?

I've been told and read a million times that they cant be Maxima's because of the colors and that dang greedy Sultan but if they aren't Maxima's, what the heck are they???
Old 11/27/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

new update...
i few days ago i put my agent orange ehinata next to baby polyp of this coral.. after a first stress polyp puffed out like normal and rapped around the ehinata.....at this point i sturt worring for the nice AE frag of ehinata..and start waiting for the slime...after three hours - nothing... corals spent atleas 4 hours touching each other with ABSOLUTLY no stress or damage to each other...the first impression after detaching corals was that baby polyp wanted to consume ehinata, but no damage at all
............... IME i know only one wiered chalice which can damage acan ehinata ...i thought this acan is the strongest thing in the tank and it did nothing to this acan
Old 11/27/2007, 06:17 PM
Reef slave

here is a few shots of my bowerbanki feeding.

my favorite at the momment.

colony pic.
Old 11/27/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Those are siccc Richard..Nice pics..
Old 11/27/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sufunk
Any acan experts out there have any ideas what me, grisha and xylenol actually have?

I've been told and read a million times that they cant be Maxima's because of the colors and that dang greedy Sultan but if they aren't Maxima's, what the heck are they???
Acan Echinata or Sub echinata. I'm about 90% sure. The first pic you posted could be a Lobo as well but hard to tell from a pic
Old 11/27/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grisha
new update...
i few days ago i put my agent orange ehinata next to baby polyp of this coral.. after a first stress polyp puffed out like normal and rapped around the ehinata.....at this point i sturt worring for the nice AE frag of ehinata..and start waiting for the slime...after three hours - nothing... corals spent atleas 4 hours touching each other with ABSOLUTLY no stress or damage to each other...the first impression after detaching corals was that baby polyp wanted to consume ehinata, but no damage at all
............... IME i know only one wiered chalice which can damage acan ehinata ...i thought this acan is the strongest thing in the tank and it did nothing to this acan
Thats great information. I give it up to you for trying that experiment.
Old 11/27/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Underwaterparadise
Acan Echinata or Sub echinata. I'm about 90% sure. The first pic you posted could be a Lobo as well but hard to tell from a pic
hey man what kind of ehinatas and subs have 4" polyp
Old 11/27/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by All Delight
Thats great information. I give it up to you for trying that experiment.
come on man you know reefing
Old 11/27/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grisha
hey man what kind of ehinatas and subs have 4" polyp
4" polyp flesh or skeleton? people seem to get the two confused. I have an orange echinata that the polyps swell up to 2-3" at times. IMO most of the "so called" Maxima's are just really nice looking lobo's! I have micro's that swell up to well over 1" but the actuall skeleton size is half that size or less. Corals can extend flesh extremly far as compared to the actual skeleton size of each polyp.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

well...i do understand your point... " there is no such a thing as maxima here in this country"...
in my opinion this coral is very different from maxima in the way it shows it flesh.....but it is not the same coral as ehinata...see for your self

pic 1 - our boy and Tyree piece

pic 2-some other nice acan ehinatas at 12 o'clock

pic 3 the same coral top shot ... i have a shalf with a bunch of micro frags so you cant rerally see the Big Boy but it is there at 11 o'clock

let me know what you think man...does it look to you as ehinata?
Old 11/27/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

and if uyou look at the corals the other guys posted i think it s not hard to see that this is not a lobo....the growth pattern is just different....tho i also get a filling that a lots of advertised maximas is lobos... but it is the ones with the crazy patterns ...
Old 11/27/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Underwaterparadise
4" polyp flesh or skeleton? people seem to get the two confused. I have an orange echinata that the polyps swell up to 2-3" at times. IMO most of the "so called" Maxima's are just really nice looking lobo's! I have micro's that swell up to well over 1" but the actuall skeleton size is half that size or less. Corals can extend flesh extremly far as compared to the actual skeleton size of each polyp.
The skeleton on mine is about as big as the polyps,2-4". The skeleton could be seen a little when i 1st got it and dipped it before putting it in. Of course, i didnt think to take pics and dont want to stress it out again to get any.

I would agree that it possibly could be some kind of weird lobo although looking at mine in different stages, i think it is very unlikely,imo. I have never seen lobo's that had such a polyp look that mine has or with as many as close together as mine are.

I can tell you 99.99% positively that there is no way it is an echinata or sub. No way,imo. I have seen a million and have a bunch and there is no resemblence or similarities whatsoever. Not only size but the polyps are just totally different than any echinata or sub i have ever seen. That pic grisha just posted is just how mine looks and they sure doesnt look like any lobo i have ever seen in person or pics
Old 11/28/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

I have been searching for something that states how large Echinata and/or sub echinata poylps can get and cannot find anything.

IMO, in the pic above they look like the exact same coral just different size polyps. Even the flesh has the same texture in those pics.

This is half the fun of the hobby............trying to figure all these things out keeps us on our toes!!
Old 11/28/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I have mine right next to a echinata and a sub and the polyps definitely seem different,imo.