Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/26/2005, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

question

i had a tought. im stting up three large tanks. with a total of 2500g of water (roufly).
now how much of a big tank would i need if i wanted to keep the folowing fish together?

titan trigger
clown trigger
humu trigger
mappa pufer
porcupine puffer
emperor angel
queen angel
6 look downs
15 big eyes
15 squirrelfish
shoal of 20 chromis
8 butterflies
a groupe of flasher wrasse
6 yellow tangs

i would provide rockwork for the squirrels and bigeyes to hide during day. there would be a moonlight system. filtration unknown due to i dont kow how big the tank needd to be. im guessing around 4000g-5000g mark.

your thougts please. suggestions welcome. at the mement this is jsut playing wround seeing what i can do. if this works it will become sriouse and i will plan and make it a reality. but it depends if all the fish can go together and what size tank.

thanks
Old 08/26/2005, 04:38 PM
Moved On

thats alot of small fish! i would skip the titan trigger. it will definately eat the other fish and should really be kept by itself. the butterflys not good too, get streesed easily by the triggers. i would add another angel like maybe a french angel.
Old 08/26/2005, 04:39 PM
Its a Travashamockery

A small sea ought to be enough.

"Power. Abuse it or lose it.." BrianD
Old 08/26/2005, 04:56 PM
Moved On

lol! i thought the 400 im planning is alot!
Old 08/27/2005, 05:43 AM
Registered Member

ok ill skip the titan trigger and add a french instead.
Old 08/27/2005, 05:48 AM
Registered Member

im going to go with a 5000g tank. do you guys think it will be big enough?
Old 08/27/2005, 08:45 AM
Budget Reefer

Defenetly ditch the clown and the titan trigger. The huma is okay but it could get agressive over time.

What People Tell Me-Nick you don't need another tank

What I Hear-Blah Blah Blah get another tank
Old 08/27/2005, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

ok. new stock list

clown trigger
humu trigger
mappa pufer
porcupine puffer
emperor angel
queen angel
6 look downs
15 big eyes
15 squirrelfish
2 yellow tangs
regal tang
8 butterflies
2 or 3 niger trigger.(this ia an idea i thought it might work out. what do you guys think)

ive been talking to a few of my freind who have large tank and ive decided to place the tank in the dinning room. its not realy used. i chose this room because its next to the garage, which will be the sump, fuge and eqyipment room. the tank will be drilled on the bottom and back. thw whall betwwen the room and garage will also be drilled.

for fitration im still deciding on what best. so far me and my freind have come up with, 3000g sump. this will be build as a pond. there will be a 500g fuge. we are also going to get a skimmer. this wil be in a seperate sump. its not finalised but we are thjnking of 2 Deltec 1004 skimmers running. im also goin to have back up generaters. as for humidity i havent decided on yet nor have i decided on lights.
Old 08/27/2005, 05:47 PM
Moved On

never have 2 of the same tangs. 1 or 3. i would skip the clown trigger and a more peaceful trigger like blue throat. instead of 2 nigers, get 1 niger and a mated pair of blue throat triggers. what is a mappa puffer? i would also skip the butterflies. you have alot to fit in that tank! i would do more tangs.
Old 08/27/2005, 10:26 PM
404 errors turn me on

Quote:
never have 2 of the same tangs
You're wrong.
Old 08/28/2005, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger 2
never have 2 of the same tangs. 1 or 3. i would skip the clown trigger and a more peaceful trigger like blue throat. instead of 2 nigers, get 1 niger and a mated pair of blue throat triggers. what is a mappa puffer? i would also skip the butterflies. you have alot to fit in that tank! i would do more tangs.
keeping the clown trigger. may get rid of the butterflies but i dont know. what tangs should i put in instead?
abd about not having 2 of the same tang together you wrong. you can do it in large tanks. and many tangs swim in shoals in the ocean and also soooooooo many people have mulitple tangs together fo the same specise
Old 08/28/2005, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

instead of the butterflies could i go with powder blue tangs?
Old 08/28/2005, 08:21 AM
Moved On

i guess in a large tank its okay. the ct may eat some smaller fish. in another thread this guys crosshatches killed and eat his chromis.
Old 08/28/2005, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

what about adding a sohal tang? i would really like to have one of those. never kept one.
Old 08/28/2005, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
How many of the fish you recommend have you actually owned?

Not "I saw it in the store" but have actually kept in a tank you owned in your home?
Old 08/28/2005, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

And how does someone get 716 post in 11 days?
Old 08/28/2005, 01:09 PM
Moved On

uh, yah what does that have to do with anything? anyway, 2 nigers would work well, maybe they will mate.
Old 08/28/2005, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

What does it have to do with anything?

Well, you're giving advice to people and it would be nice to know if you are speaking from personal experience or if you are just guessing.

So does that mean you haven't actually owned a trigger or a tang?
Old 08/28/2005, 01:18 PM
Moved On

not yet, but i will be once i start planning some larger tanks. do yoe have any tanks, dont happen to see one.

make any changes in the list juice me man?
Old 08/28/2005, 01:31 PM
840>420

well how big is the display tank? if its big enough i dont see a problem with the CT and 2 nigers. if you really want a titan, just set up another 300-400 tank with the titan alone, maybe even with a cool dragon moray of some sort. just hook it up to the same system.

awesome fish list. i especially love the multiple nigers. with a tank big enough you wont have a problem with 2 yellow tangs (as opposed to 1 or 3 YTs). how much rock are you gonna put in? that will get really pricey.

do you have any drawn out plans yet on how your going to be putting this together? i would suggest maybe a mated pair of bluethroats or crosshatches. they are always a crowd a favorite. good luck.
Old 08/28/2005, 02:21 PM
Moved On

yah a mated pair would be cool.
Old 08/28/2005, 02:55 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
not yet, but i will be once i start planning some larger tanks.
Trigger 2,
You mean to say you actually have NO experience with keeping any of these fish in your own system???!!! I've seen you post over the last week about 400 times giving people advice on what fish to keep and what size tank to keep them in. And every time you do it, you sound 100% sure. But you have never had any experience yourself? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of!!! I understand you want to get involved, and that's great. That's what this site if for. Learning and teaching. But giving people advice for setting-up, stocking and running they're tanks when you yourself have 0.0% experience is belligerent and rude.

Juice me man,
I keep a Sohal in my 125 with a PBT. You can see pics in my gallery. As of now, there is little to no aggression, but as the Sohal grows, it will begin to dominate. As a result, I'll be upgrading my current system to around 500 gallons total, with a 300 gallon display.

The Sohals are one of the more aggressive tangs, if not the most aggressive I have ever kept. However, if you add it last like I did, I don't see why you couldn't keep that and more with your stocking list in a 4000-5000 gallon tank. Good luck. I want to see pics!!

Jim
Old 08/28/2005, 04:22 PM
Me in Iraq

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187
Trigger 2,
You mean to say you actually have NO experience with keeping any of these fish in your own system???!!! I've seen you post over the last week about 400 times giving people advice on what fish to keep and what size tank to keep them in. And every time you do it, you sound 100% sure. But you have never had any experience yourself? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of!!! I understand you want to get involved, and that's great. That's what this site if for. Learning and teaching. But giving people advice for setting-up, stocking and running they're tanks when you yourself have 0.0% experience is belligerent and rude.

OMG!

Wow, that's totally unbelieveable!

Last edited by aquaman67; 08/28/2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08/28/2005, 04:34 PM
Moved On

yah jim, that was harsh. yes i will admit i dont have personal experience yet. but i have been doing reasearch, yes its not good enough so i will answer the stuff i know 100%

when i said 2 tangs of the same type in a tank, i was wrong. in a 5000 gallon it is okay. i dont answer stocking ?s of people who are building a tank this large. but it is probably bad to put 2 yellow tangs in a 125 gallon. sorry for my mistake.

Old 08/28/2005, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

humm...i think if u wana get more than 1 niger trigger, u gotta get them as babys then they will school when they get bigger,