Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/06/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Shark Diving

Just wanted to share a few pictures and experiences and see if anyone else is into the 'adrenaline rush'...

My first encounter with sharks was on a dive trip through the French Polynesia. It is common to see 4-10 blacktip reef sharks on every dive as they are attracted to the boats. So, I was expecting to see them... but didn't expect to encounter the 4 larger fish that rank #6 on the top #10 List of most Dangerous Sharks to Humans.

This is me, Dave... before he became "Sharkbait". Kinda like Peter Parker before he became Spiderman... only not really...

The transformation is complete... I am now Sharkbait.

Before we even hit the water, there were 4.5 - 6.5 ft of fins on the surface. A little unnerving... but like a sheep in a flock... I jumped in with everyone else...

There were about 5 or 6 of these 5.5 footers (give or take a foot). Very graceful, very uninterested in us... yet they followed us during the entire dive until the BIG FISHES showed up.

Now, I have to tell you... when we see a few blacktips on the surface and it is fully explained to keep your hands from waving around and that these 'little' guys will be of no harm to us... it's at least somewhat comforting to jump in the water. When you're down50ft+ and you see 4 large shadows approaching and all the divemaster can do is signal the vertical hand on head to indicate shark... at first you don't know what to think.

The divemaster corraled all the divers into a circle on the ocean floor as we were circled by 4 lemons. Was this planned? Part of the itinerary? I know enough French to realize it was a unique opportunity to cherish. Besides I was confident I was a faster swimmer and I had a dive knife (to cut my dive partner while I made my escape... hehe). Ok, I'm exaggerating... they were truly beautiful!

After my airpressure dropped 2,000psi in 5mins with our new 'friends'... I gave my camera to another diver and turned my back on a 9ft lemon as it approached from behind. It almost seemed like he wanted to snap the picture quickly to get out of the way as he almost totally missed what I felt was going to be a great photo op. Note, just the head shows from behind me...

If only he had waited another second or two...

In any event, the French Polynesia is a great place to dive with sharks. The Lemon Shark is ranked #6 on the top 10 most dangerous to humans... but I think that is only because they are perceived as 'docile' enough to dive with... hence there is more human/lemon shark contact than other species of shark. I do have a nifty video on a later dive... where two shark wranglers in chainmail hand fed these beasts tuna heads. NUTS, absolutely NUTS!
Old 11/06/2007, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Very cool!
Old 11/06/2007, 03:28 PM
10 & Over Club

I believe what gets Lemons so high on the list is their tendency to be found in very shallow water. They pup in shallow lagoons where the water is often shallow enough for wading. It's the sort of location that really ups the chances of human/shark interaction.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/06/2007, 04:07 PM
Master Scuba Certified

Great fun!!! Sharks are what they are...but totally a rush to dive around for sure.... Great Whites of the California coast are a rush also!!! I have a few shots of those critters and some reef sharks off Maui and Kona!!! You just got to love this sport!!!!

"A Lasting Work Requires Extensive Preparation" -- Douglas Rumford

http://www.myspace.com/masterdiver1
Old 11/06/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

I was in Roatan earlier this year hoping to dive with whale sharks. We had a helicopter out 3 different mornings trying to spot them from the sky... no such luck

So instead, we took a frozen bucket of chum and a 17yr old dive master... hehe... and went looking for Grey's... we had about 20+ grey reefsharks around us. They are big, thick bodied... that was a rush!
Old 11/07/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Ahhhh....Bora Bora. I really enjoyed my trip to the "shark capitol of the world".....and, I look forward to returning soon. It looks your pics were taken just outside the mouth of the lagoon. Those lemons and black tips frequently come into the lagoon too. Here are a few shark pics that I took in Bora Bora right off my bungalow...

And some pics just outside the lagoon in a 100ft of water...

Old 11/07/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

And....life in the lagoon is amazing as well...

Old 11/07/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

But...Bora Bora is really about this....

Old 11/07/2007, 07:51 PM
Master Scuba Certified

SWEET!!!! Great Pics!!!!

"A Lasting Work Requires Extensive Preparation" -- Douglas Rumford

http://www.myspace.com/masterdiver1
Old 11/11/2007, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

My favorite is the swirling butterfly fish and sergent majors. Nice pictures . . .

~Steve~
Old 11/11/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snorvich
My favorite is the swirling butterfly fish and sergent majors. Nice pictures . . .

Thanks......a little chum in the water does wonders for a photo op.
Old 11/13/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Steveweast,

What photo equipment were you using? Camera, housing, lighting?

I've had to resort to the $50 underwater 35mm reusables *sigh*
Old 11/13/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharkbait74
Steveweast,

What photo equipment were you using? Camera, housing, lighting?

I've had to resort to the $50 underwater 35mm reusables *sigh*

I use this camera and housing for trips like this.....although, I think it is discontinued now.

http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/dig...00g/index.html

It takes pretty good pics above and below the water....and is really a lightweight, compact point and shoot camera that easily clips to my BC. I really need to get an external flash attachment for it next time though...the camera's pitiful flash doesn't help that much at depth.....but at shallow depth (and certainly on shore) this little camera performed quite well.

Last edited by steveweast; 11/13/2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11/13/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

I really need the external flash next time. Down around 100 ft, I couldn't capture the coral color very well....

Old 11/14/2007, 01:55 PM
Keeper of Tangs

OMG That one of the awesomest things I have ever seen!!!
Old 11/17/2007, 06:13 AM
15 & Over Club

nice pics of sharks

and steve...wow nice shots and very clear too.
Old 12/14/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Nice pictures. one day I will experience the same. Thanks
Old 12/15/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

dude you got big cojones i dont think i would ever get in the water when theres sharks around ,and i love to scuba and snorkel, those pictures were hot awesome pic of the clown in the anenome and the trigger thanks for sharing