Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Quarantine Treatment

I did a mistake, and put a sick (White dots) Naso (After Cooper treatment at the shop) in my quarantine.
He didn't make it after 3 days.

Now what should I do :
Clean the quarantine and start over, How do I sanitize it ?
Or should I put new fish, let him be there 1 month and if something will go wrong I will treat him with cooper, is there any change it will infect the whole take even after a month in the Q ?

Please advice.
Old 11/25/2007, 06:19 PM
10 & Over Club

I would sanitize the QT set up with a little bleach, give it a good rinse and set it back up.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/26/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

dont put bleach in it, its toxic and will stay in the pits of the glass. just use plain white vinegar and warm water to wipe off the glass.
Old 11/26/2007, 07:24 AM
Professional Aquarist

Bleach is fine. The only downside to sterilizing with bleach is it tends to destroy sponge filters.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 11/26/2007, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

What is bleach ?
I was also told that after 10 days all parasites should be dead.
Old 11/26/2007, 07:50 AM
30 year and over club

Quote:
dont put bleach in it, its toxic and will stay in the pits of the glass. just use plain white vinegar and warm water to wipe off the glass.
Bleach is fine, I have been cleaning things with bleach for fifty years. When dead coral decorations were used in salt tanks in the seventees we would bleach the corals every week to keep them white. I even treat NSW with bleach. Just use "Regular" Bleach not scented bleach which has a very toxic chemical in it. I doubt it would affect anything if you rinse it out but Regular bleach is fine. I use Regular Clorox.
Paul
Old 11/26/2007, 08:13 AM
10 & Over Club

Bleach is sodium hypochlorite. Look in the laundry detergent area of your local grocery store, it's often used in very small quantities for laundry. A good rinse a final rinse with a little dechlorinater will take care of any residual chlorine. 10 days is not long enough for some parasites, so sterilizing and starting the tank over again will get it running for that next fish faster than waiting a month or so that would be needed otherwise.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/16/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

No Bleach. Let QT run for 6 to 8 weeks with your copper treatment.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:15 PM
--sister of geek--

One more vote for bleach. No harm if it is handled as above, and then youcan use your QT right away.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Bleach is fine. We use it to sterilize all incoming NSW and tanks with saltwater in them. Martin Moe used to use it to clean water before he used it in his fish systems. It takes about 5 days, depending on the sun and organic load, to disipate or break down.

The future is a self sustaining hobby.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:45 PM
Patient Reefer

I also use bleach, and never use copper. My QT alternates between fish and coral, with a good bleaching between.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

i don't mean to dilute the thread but i was just wondering what ratio you use to treat nsw

how many gallons nsw to how many ml bleach?
Old 01/07/2008, 06:14 AM
30 year and over club

I use a tablespoon of bleach to five gallons NSW
Old 01/08/2008, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Bleach is fine, have used it in quarantine tanks fom 10-40k gallons hundreds upon hundreds of times without incident. I assume you are worried primarily about Cryptocaryon and other protozoan parasites in your tank...the tomont larval form of Crypto can live without a teleost host up to 45 days in SW at 25 degrees C (about 75 F). at 30 degrees C you can cut this down to roughly 38 days, 34 C about 30 days...or just sterilize the system and start over...for what it's worth

Also a note on concentrations of bleach, I usually use a 1-3% bleach solution for 24 hours to sterilize tanks w., more if there is a high organic load in the water...but I usually try to stay away from that, or refill w/ FW and then sterilize b/c breakpoint chlorination is a hassle. (Obviously weaker solutions are better for tanks w/silicone seals)