Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/31/2004, 07:48 PM
Exiled PARC Member

Question about Regulators

My wife and I are brand new to the hobby. We are looking into getting our gear and the MR-22 Abyss Regulator was recommended to us. What does everyone hear use? Any and all info would be appreceated.
Thanks
Old 05/31/2004, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

I dive Apeks regs that I love, and recenlty a few Scubapros that I like as well. These are probably the only 2 brands I would buy.

That said most modern regs breath well.
Old 06/01/2004, 09:56 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I use the Oceanic equipment and like all of their gear.
Old 06/01/2004, 10:21 AM

I agree. I have used Atomics, Scubapro's, and Oceanic's. All were very good and did quite well when diving deep.
I currently have a TUSA RS240 which by far isn't the top of the line but I haven't noticed any difference in breath effort dives and the adjustable breathing resistance knob works great. My wife went out and shopped for it on her own and did he best on finding me a good setup (she's not that knowledgeable with dive gear) so I don't have the heart to find another till this one gets old and worn out. Having a life time warranty won't help in that aspect.
Old 06/01/2004, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

I currently use only Atomic, though, I have also used some high-end Apex and Scubapros that I was very pleased with. Almost any reg will work OK in shallow water. However, the difference performance can really been seen in deep water where the density of gas is greater. A cheap reg will feel like you are sucking on "thick" gas, while the high-end one will breath effortlessly at all depths. In general, you get what you pay for.

In my case, I had a very specific need for high performance regs that are 100% O2 compatible (so I can swap any reg in case of failure during deco). I chose the Atomics made of Monel because they met this requirement. They cost about $780 a piece. In your case, you have a lot more choices (which will save you money but adds to the confusion). You may want to pick up a scuba magazine that has a review on regulators to help you make your decision. You need to consider your type of diving, budget, and service plan (some regs include parts for free). Beware of overseas mail order companies. When it comes time for service, you might find that you are not under warranty. Good luck.
Old 06/01/2004, 12:54 PM

Here is something you may want to read up on
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/gear...5-57-0,00.html
Old 06/01/2004, 04:48 PM
Exiled PARC Member

Thanks for all the info...We are just beggining, but at the same time when we do advance we want to buy it right the first time...so probably somewhere in the middle budget wise.
Old 06/02/2004, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

The abyss reg is a kick butt regulator. it is definatly a work horse for a reg. if you go to www.mares.com and you can see the records that were set by this regulator. it is ridiculous!!! This reg has been around for a while minus the physical changes it is the same reg. you can purchase them at www.diverswarehouse.com (plug, plug). Best of luck with whatever ya'll do!!!
Old 06/02/2004, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Hi there Lawntodd........

Welcome to a great sport for aquarium fanatics!
If you are a very new diver, keep renting gear for a year or so, diving as often as you can.... in Florida, near you, anywhere south of Palm Beach you can jump on a dive boat for a three tank day for less $ than a round of golf. Your experience with different regs will help you develop a preference based on first hand experience. If in your year of diving you spent more than $200 on regulator rental (not boat, tank and wieght costs, they remain a different category) then it becomes cost effective to own gear for year # three. Many new divers buy gear and dive often their first year or so, then it drops off to two trips a year... not cost effective at all.

That pearl being rolled out, when I'm sport diving I really grab for my Scubapro. Simple, highly reliable, great performance all the way down to the dregs of tank pressure, and some of the easiest maintainance out there... current setup is a Mark25 first stage feeding an aparently bomb proof (my gear really catches poor conditions) Scubapro 180... The 190 would be an improvement yet again. When the conditions go to crap the 180 becomes octi, and Kirby Morgan becomes my dive buddy. But thats not for you.

Some of the old debate over piston ease of maint vis. breathing efficiency of balanced diaphram first stage systems is almost moot. You can now find balanced pistons, even balanced dry pistons, and overbalanced diaphrams. You likely will not notice a difference in the new generations of system types and most divers do not maintain thier own regs anyway.

My first modern sport reg was a Mares axis piston setup. Cheap, but needed constant tuneing between first stage line pressures and second stage break pressure settings. In a nutshell, it liked to free flow. Cant say anything about the upgraded middle or high end Mares regs... I went to Scubapro, and never looked back.

Try a few rentals, and soon you'll get a feel for what you like. Consider a smaller mouthpiece for your wife also.

have fun out there, sippin air!
Sea Dog 6
Old 06/05/2004, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

If you would like to buy some once used (one trip about 5 dives for me 1 learning fresh water dive for my wife) equipment I have a his and hers set of US Divers/Aqualung gear I would be willing to part with. I bought it as my dad was a diver and instructor and I have always been interested in the oceans and loved diving so I got all the gear after my wife and I got certified ans she has since chickened out. I wish I knew that BEFORE I dropped some serious cash for all my top end equipment. Double DOH!!!
Old 06/06/2004, 10:01 AM
Exiled PARC Member

how much are you asking?
Old 06/06/2004, 07:32 PM
Exiled PARC Member

Motoman, What kind of gear is it (model, size, etc..) I'd like to do a little research on it first. I'm probably interested.
Thanks
Todd
Old 06/07/2004, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

I will post as soon as I look up the information...thanks for your interest.
Old 06/07/2004, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Buy the best reg you can afford....its only your life. I only use Poseidon Regs. I have tried other regs, but always come back to my old trusty Poseidon Cyclone.
Old 06/07/2004, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Poseidon

Quote:
Originally posted by chiapet
Buy the best reg you can afford....its only your life. I only use Poseidon Regs. I have tried other regs, but always come back to my old trusty Poseidon Cyclone.
Isn't that reg that fails off - scary- ? I've heard they breath great, but, that the jacked up IPs wear on the components that are expensive and hard to get. Does it take a standard hose?
Old 06/07/2004, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Re: Poseidon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Scientist
Isn't that reg that fails off - scary- ? I've heard they breath great, but, that the jacked up IPs wear on the components that are expensive and hard to get. Does it take a standard hose?
I have dove with Poseidon regs for about 8 years. My wife dives with them, My 50 year old mother dives with them. My step father dives with them. Some of my step father's friends dive with them.....I think you get the point. Anyway...as with anything you have to keep them serviced & take care of them. If anything they have a reputation of not having many parts to break & being low maint.

Parts used to be hard to get as a while back there was no US distributor...the US dist. had gone out of business. About 4-5 years back another distributor picked up the brand & they now have a listing of centers seemingly all over the place (at least in FL).
Old 06/07/2004, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

That's good that the parts are easy to get now, I have heard they breath great. But, I really don't like the idea that they fail off. I mean even if I dove with one for 20years and then it killed me, I wouldn't be thinking with my dying breath - well they great for a while.
Old 06/07/2004, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

This is the first time that I have heard that they fail "off"....they actually fail "on". I am not sure where your information came from (no disrespect intended).
Old 06/07/2004, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

Upstream regs

Quote:
Originally posted by chiapet
This is the first time that I have heard that they fail "off"....they actually fail "on". I am not sure where your information came from (no disrespect intended).
Poseidon regs are "upstream" regualtors (the seating mechanism sits upstream of the orifice). If the mechanism fails the seat is pushed against the orifice prevent air from escaping the second stage. Most regs are downstream so that in a failure you get a freeflow instead.

I'm glad you haven't had any problem yet. Becareful - that's a pretty scary design, but there's no doubt they breath great when they work.