Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/17/2007, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Need ideas for a "centerpiece" fish for my 110g thats being set up

I posted on another site but really did not get the input that i wanted. No one really suggested anything for me that was usefull. So Let's see what you guys can come up with and help me at the same time. Please.

Here is the original post:I need some of everyone's opinions on a new fish. I have a 110g that is going to be set up very soon. I am looking for that one really nice fish i can buy that will be happy as a juvenille and as an adult. I was really wanting an emperor angel but after doing alot of research on that i decided it would not be a good idea for a 110g. I do not want a fish that is going to cost me over $200.00 being bought as a juvy. The other tank-mates would include a flame angel, yellow headed sleepr goby, mandarin, blue velvet damsel, and a 4 stripe damsel. Also i have alot of inverts...crabs, snails, tiger tail, etc..etc...that would be tank-mates.

It is a reef tank so I do not want agressive or coral eaters.

I also want to add a few reef chromis for a schooling fish since they do not get very big. Are there any other types of schooling fish i could add that do not get more than 3 inches?

Any ideas on a fish would be appreciated!!
Also wanted to add that my damsel's are not mean. They have gotten along great with any tankmate they have been in contact with. I just rearrange the rocks and that seems to do the trick everytime. The damsel's are both at least a year old as of being in my tank..Dont know how old they were when i bought them.
thanks
Nika
Old 04/17/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Kole Tang
Old 04/17/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

-Kole or Tomini Tang (yellow and purple tangs are nice also, but get agressive)
-Genicanthus angels (i.e. watanabe, lamarck, swallowtail)
-Doliatus Rabbitfish (small, only gets ~7.5", not like the similar looking virgate which gets up to 11")
-CBB (may be hard to keep, only add after your tank has been established for a while)
-Some sort of cool reef safe wrasse (i.e. mystery or leopard)

For schooling fish, you may look into:
-Threadfin (aka blue eye) cardnials
Old 04/17/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

And a CBB is a what.....
Old 04/17/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Copperband Butterfly
Old 04/17/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the Kole tang, it's a nice looking fish with good personallity and doesn't get too large...
Old 04/17/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I have looked at a few of the suggestions. So far I do not like the kole tang idea..Just isn't apealing to me. Now the Watanabe is Spectacular!! I would grab that in a heartbeat if my tank was allready set-up and running. The swallowtail was also really nice. The CBB seems to be a bit too much to fool with as far as its eating habbits go. The Cardinals are also a great idea. Love those aswell..I might get a few of those instead of a reef chromis or the green chromis. Also a pair of those scissor tail gobies would work. What i read is they will pair off eventually and that would be all you can keep. So guess that wouldnt work.

As far as sight only..Looking at pics only- not any specs as tank req...space..size... I like these..but would have to do some research to see if i can keep them. Input on these would help aswell.

Chevron tang
Lopezi tang
palani tang
Scopas tang
Tennent tang
Bicolor angel
Eibli angel
Flameback angel
koran angel
Queen angel

Thanks all!
nika
Old 04/17/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Most any angle is going to be hit or miss as far as if they are reef-safe or not. Just an individual thing... I personally would not risk it.
Old 04/17/2007, 03:09 PM
Team RC Member

Chevron tang
Lopezi tang
palani tang
Scopas tang
Tennent tang
Some of these tangs get much too big (Tennent tang, for sure). Have you considered a mimic tang (A pyroferus) - reasonable size, not aggressive, great, if subtle, colors and beautiful finnage.

Bicolor angel
Eibli angel
Flameback angel
All of these would be good sized for your tank. People are hit and miss with the bicolor, and it is not likely to be reef safe. Not sure about the other two.

koran angel
Queen angel
I think both of these get too big and need too much swimming room for that sized tank. Likely to be a risk if reef safe is important to you.

Have you considered some of the beautiful, moderate sized and active reef-safe wrasses?
Old 04/17/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Be aware that the Chevron tang does not keep the brilliant orange, juvenile, coloration. Its adult coloration is similar to the Kole.
Old 04/17/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks again for the advice!

Hmm now that i look at the Kole and the Chevron they do look similar. Still like the chevron even as an adult. Also looked at a spotted kole tang...Those are nice.

What about the swallowtail angel being reef safe or is it another hit or miss with reef's? I understand there is a chance with any angel they will nip at corals but it seems some leave them alone according to a bit of research ive done.

I have to have a reef safe fish..I do not want to go thru the trouble of catching a fish after introducing it cause its eating up my corals.

LisaD...What wrasse do you suggest that are reef safe? I have heard conflicting stories/articles on them.

nika
Old 04/17/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Genicanthus angels are the only angels thought to be reef safe.

Regarding the wrasses, all flasher and fairy wrasses are reef safe and brilliantly colored.
Old 04/17/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Red Sea Regal angel...stunning colors and fairly safe in a reef.
Old 04/17/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

That is a beautiful fish! I've thought about it also for my tank - but the "fairly reef safe" part always gets me. Doing some search on this forum, a lot are not reef safe and pick on corals/zoos.
Old 04/17/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Regal Angels do notoriously bad in captive care. A very difficult fish to keep. Same goes for the Chevron tang, although not as difficult as the regal, I'd bet many of the other tangs you had listed would be much easier to keep.
Old 04/17/2007, 06:05 PM
Team RC Member

I was thinking fairy and flasher wrasses. There are others I consider reef safe, but that will harass and eat inverts (e.g. harlequin tuskfish, my personal favorite). I also like 6-line wrasses. Some people say they are aggressive, but mine is with seahorses and a mandarin and bothers nothing.

I have a LaMarck angel in a reef. It is reef safe, not too big, can be easily paired, and is hardy, inexpensive and beautiful. That is the one I would recommend you get.
Old 04/17/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Centerpiece fish

All good advice from everyone.
My advice would be to consider every aspect, and don't focus too much on your first reaction to looks - that will often change after time.

Fish look different under halides, and their personalities will factor into the overall impression you will have. Some of my "less attractive" fish are my favorites, and effectively, my showpieces. Angels are beautiful, but can sooooooooooo difficult in some cases - hit or miss - that no beauty can make up for the aggrevation.

I am fairly new to this, and my first impressions are nothing like what I feel now, so weigh things out carefully.

Good Luck
Old 04/17/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

How about a female Bellus Angel I just got one last week and its doing great and eating well. As for fairy wrasses have you thought of Lineatus, Laboutei, Flame, Roseafascia, C. Bathyphilus, and lots of others I would recommend a Golden Rhomboid but they are really pricey. I have all those fairy wrasses in my reefs and they are doing great and never bother anything else in the tank.
Old 04/17/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

and now for something completely different:
A mated pair of blue faced triggers or
a harlequin tusk or
a group of lubbocks fairy wrasse (six-eight)

a shoal of threadfin cardnials (at least 10)
Old 04/17/2007, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

I'm adding (hopefully) a pair of Swallowtail Angels and a pair of Pyramid Butterflys to my 225. Peaceful, beautiful, not too big, not too pricey IMO.
Old 04/17/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

An angel that isn't a pygmy will out grow a 110g. Depending on what your interests and care level is, I'd go with a powder blue tang. They look amazing, but great care is required. A flame angel would be nice too, but they aren't that big, and may eat some corals. The center piece fish IMO should be the biggest.
Old 04/18/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Wow lots of post...Nice!
thanks everyone..you are making my decision a lot easier in some aspects and harder heh.

I love the swallowtail angel...But someone noted that all but the pygmys will get too large for a 110. I allready have a flame. Also i want my centerpiece fish to be my biggest. I guess that is why i have not thought of the wrasse to put in cause from the ones ive looked up they dont get very big. Thats why i was looking at tangs and angels cause they get big i figure if i have just one of the medium sizes then that would be ok.

Im getting mixed reviews on the angels completely...Whats wrong whats right??? Are none of them going to be comfy as an adult in a 110g? Or are there a couple that would be fine?

I am def. getting the threadfins in a school...i don't know about 10 though that seems like alot for a 110 with what i allready have and one more as the centerpiece...

Someone mentioned triggers...i thought they werent reef safe...
I really like a few of the triggers but they get huge are there any that would fit in a 110g?
Old 04/18/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

The Genicanthus angels are all smaller than the regular angels, but a little bigger than the pygmy/dwarf ones. Since they're the only ones that are "reef safe", you would only look at those anyway.

The watanabe is only 6" in the wild and should be fine in a 110g. Swallowtail/Blackspot only about 7". Lamarcks does get a little big though (9").

Here's a recent thread on their size: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1101027

I think DamnPepShrimp was thinking more along the lines of the regular angels that get to be more like 10"-20".

Last edited by karid; 04/18/2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04/18/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

A Swallowtail (Blackspot) would be fine in your 110. I have a female Blackspot that I've had for a year and it's still around 2-1/2" - 3" (don't appear to have grown much). I believe they are slow growers. Not as brightly colored as some of the other angels, but a really cool fish.