Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 10:17 PM

why yes, Carp-on-a-Stick.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
why yes, Carp-on-a-Stick.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

awesome setup!!! I love the koi poind and the reef tank together, I always wanted to do something like that, someday I hope I can

Watch out behind you its that Murphy guy and he's up to no good again.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefski's
thanks, i too love the Koi pond although if i had discovered reefing first i probably would only have a reef tank. much more interesting with the whole ecosystem thing.

and it is in the house where it can be enjoyed in the living room.

and it is cheaper. i have bought most of my Koi when they are babies, one year old and they are still more than any reef fish i have bought.

reef fish don't eat two pounds of food a day!

koi pond turn over rates are only about once every two hours though. i will probably have more watts running the pumps on the new tank than the 20,000 gallon koi pond which has three pumps totaling about 16 amps per hour, 24/7.

nobody can make you put in a solar system in america. it is pricey but it will pay for itself in about 7 years, and then it's FREEEEEEEEEEEEE! worth every penny.

Carl
It's not compuslory in Australia either, but due to changes in the building code, solar makes it soooo much easier to pass. I looked at the 5kwh unit. $16000, minus govenment rebates makes it $8000, but I though I could build my house more energy effecient to cut down on the use of electrictiy.
I just don't know if these unit's are as effecient as they make out, considering if your not facing true north, you've already lost effeciency. It will be interesting to see how you find yours, in regards to power use, might change my mind.

Cheers

Chris
Old 01/05/2008, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

ya, i'll have to dry them out and make fish jerky. i have not eaten carp but is is the most eaten fish in the world. just not here in the US.

every new group of construction guys have said "tomorrow i'll have to bring my fishing rod". i tell em just bring your checkbook too! if i had $1,000 everytime i have heard that i could have paid for the remodel.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

we just ordered all the solar panels yesterday. i don't have the final bill yet for the material. i have already spent a few thousand for mounting hardware and installation into the new roof.

this hobby isn't cheap and it is definitely not a "green" hobby either. i hope someday to have it all paid for and then i can quit working and enjoy it for FREE! i don't see that day coming for many years though.

like Warren Miller says. "if you don't do it today, you may be another year older when you do?"

ii didn't want to just wait until i am too old to enjoy it all. i have to have a little strength to be able to keep up the maintenance on the new tank.

the puppy by the pond
Photobucket

a close up of a couple of our favorites.
Photobucket
Old 01/05/2008, 03:50 PM

Stunning Koi. Very healthy. Around here we have to watch out for Bald Eagles. There are so many it's like an infestation, and they love Koi, cats, small dogs, birds...etc.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:11 PM
Ozone Sniffer

I quit spending $ on good Koi when my dumb dog started sport-fishing them I saved them a few times, flopping on the grass, only then to find them dried up a few days later somewhere else.

Plant shelves are predator stoops. Need plant islands instead.
From then on it was cheap Shubunkins

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 01/05/2008, 04:28 PM

No kidding...but his dog looks so sweet. He wouldn't want to grab one of those koi out! I mean, look in his eyes...that's nothing but playful love!
Old 01/05/2008, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

What are the measurements of your pond? Love the dog!!! He reminds me of mine!

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/9...piddog2sh7.jpg
Old 01/05/2008, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Wow very nice!!! I am speechless, I wish I was you!

And that Koi pond is amazing as well! Can you get a full tank shot of that? How many gallons is it? And what do you do for a filter? Sorry on those questions just looking at soon building one!
Old 01/05/2008, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

my dog is sweet! a bit intense sometimes, mostly enthusiastic.
these eyes?
Photobucket

he is a real lap dog. every night he waits patiently for his table scrapes after we eat dinner in front of the TV and then he knows he can get on the couch and sit on someones lap for a good scratching, massage.

we decided we don't need an alarm on the new house. would you come in uninvited?
Photobucket

he is mostly interested in eating the food out of the pond although he has occasionally nipped at the Koi if they try to eat the food he is after.
Photobucket

hoover is the Koi competing with him and has a big mouth too!!
Photobucket

Photobucket

beauty shot.

Photobucket

now back to tank building.
i have deemed the freshwater testing complete and am now pumping water into the tank from the front yard holding tank.

i'll drop a heater in it and run it the rest of the weekend.

maybe i'll get some LR in on Monday. some of the best rock is in the aptasia infested tank and must be treated and further qt'd so it won't be going in the tank any time soon.

patience grasshopper. (that is what i keep telling myself)

Carl

Last edited by Reefski's; 01/05/2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:27 PM

So hard to be patient, but you have already learned that lesson. Those dogs are awesome. The koi pond is killer too. PHAT fish!
Old 01/05/2008, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

one of the holding tanks for the LR. about 500 pounds in here.

it is outside and i can only provide it with enough electricity to keep it about 68 degrees.

this is the first rock that will go in the tank.
Photobucket

more water rock and roll video. i just stand and watch it for a while trying to figure out aquascaping. i am not very creative that way.

the PVC pipes come up from the bulkheads 10" and will get a collar of live rock to mostly hide the pipe.

******* width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i93.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/reefski/saltwaterinmotion1-5-08.flv">
Carl
Old 01/05/2008, 07:43 PM

what pool is that and where did you get it? I need to swap out my tank and hold 1000g with rock and coral.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:47 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Pretty dog is he an APBT?

Love the thread build and the house looks amazing. Can't wait to see more pics.

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 01/05/2008, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

it is a Koi show tank. this is the 6 foot model which holds about 400 gallons. they also make an eight foot one.

you can order from the best koi dealer i know at enkoi.com

that is where most of my koi are from. most were purchased as one year olds, 4-8 inches. the biggest one in the photo with the dog, the grey and brown one was about 3 inches, $15, 4 years ago. now about 25 pounds.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:12 PM

"Koi Show Tank"? Seriously? It looks like an above ground pool. I'll check them out and thanks for the info!
Old 01/05/2008, 08:15 PM

That 8' one is perfect. That is exactly what i need and with the right size fitting for my Sequence pump. Thank you so much.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Jonathan- you are welcome. glad that will help you.

the dog is 4 1/2 years old pound puppy. they think he was two when we got him. he was not cut. had no manners, couldn't sit or catch a ball or anything. i think he was just put in the yard and left to his own vices. he has slightly more manners now. still needs a lot of work. so do i my wife says.

i made the mistake of telling her i was trainable when we were first dating. i was talking about romantically but she took it to heart and has never forgotten.

he was a stray they told us. so i am not sure what he is but other 100% pedigreed red nose pit bulls look exactly like him. he is 90 pounds of solid muscle. i wish i was that buff.

at the youtube video below you also watch Mr Bryson at the beach when we went to UCSB to collect NSW.

Carl

Last edited by Reefski's; 01/05/2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

here is the link to the salt water rocking and rolling i was trying to post above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRsx-mxBivQ

Carl
Old 01/05/2008, 08:50 PM

very nice.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

holly crap. That is some flow. you will need industrial glue to keep the rock in place. :-)

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 01/05/2008, 10:29 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefski's
Jonathan- you are welcome. glad that will help you.

the dog is 4 1/2 years old pound puppy. they think he was two when we got him. he was not cut. had no manners, couldn't sit or catch a ball or anything. i think he was just put in the yard and left to his own vices. he has slightly more manners now. still needs a lot of work. so do i my wife says.

i made the mistake of telling her i was trainable when we were first dating. i was talking about romantically but she took it to heart and has never forgotten.

he was a stray they told us. so i am not sure what he is but other 100% pedigreed red nose pit bulls look exactly like him. he is 90 pounds of solid muscle. i wish i was that buff.

at the youtube video below you also watch Mr Bryson at the beach when we went to UCSB to collect NSW.

Carl
He looks APBT to me. Just so you know there is no specific "red nose" kind of APBT. It's just a nose color. VERY pretty dog. So he's fixed now...I hope so. Too many ABPT's and every other dog out there. Thanks for rescuing a dog and giving it a great home. We did that w/ our little girl too. Save one of the ones that need a home is better than buying one and giving someone another reason to continue breeding when they shouldn't. Sorr I volunteer for an APBT rescue so I'm pretty passionate about it

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 01/05/2008, 11:32 PM

dude, when i went to the local Humaine Society to get a cat, at least 1/3 of the dogs were PBT. The place was over-crowded and so many poor dogs. It broke my heart to have to leave. I know that sounds stupid, but it was really depressing.