Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

instruction for a sump without drilling the tank

Does anyone have any instructions, a parts list, and the type of material I need to build a sump without drilling my tank.I have a 48 gallon bowfront with corals and fish. I am probably going to have a 40 gallon glass tank for the sump/refugium, but I can change that if need be.I have no idea what to get,what size,pvc, or any other parts I need, or how to do it. I need some help right down to the glue that is appropriate.Sure would apprecitae the help.That includes the pump of course.
Thanks.
Old 12/25/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

If you don't want to drill, you'll probably have to use a HOB overflow like the ones by CPR Aquatics. I'd just get a 20 gallon tank and mod it into a sump unless you want to buy a pre-made acrylic one. Then connect the overflow box to the sump using PVC; with a return pump on the other end.
Old 12/25/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info

I will look into what you suggested...Thanks
Old 12/25/2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Check the LifeReef overflows, there's like a 99% approval rating by the people that have them vs. the others. They're probably a little more spendy, but if i was going to do this I'd want to be dang sure I wasn't going to flood anything by going cheap.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/25/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

I have an overflow with a U-Tube.

My tank sits on hardwood floors so I am very paranoid about water spilling out of the tank.

I have gone to extremes to keep this from happening.

I have redundant float switches installed in the overflow box that cut power to the return pump. These switches make it so that if during a power outage I lose my siphon and then the power comes back on, the water from the sump does not end up overflowing the main tank and on the floor. I have two switches in off chance a snail has one stuck closed the other will cut the power.

At the top of the u-tube, I have drilled a hole and connected a piece of air line from it to a venturi on a pump that is in the tank. This venturi sucks up any bubbles that might form in the u-tube.

I have also set up a bubble trap in the overflow box to reduce the amount of bubbles that make it into the u-tube.

In the return lines from the sump to the main tank, I have drilled small holes very near the surface of the water so if power cuts off a siphon will not take out the first 2 inches of water from the main tank back down into the sump and overflow it.

Here is a picture of the overflow box where all of the work is done.

Bruce
Old 12/26/2007, 12:35 AM
Generic Member

Get a good U Tube overflow such as a Lifereef. A good overflow has no need for an air nipple and a vacuum pump. That is just a liability and is more likely to cause a failure than prevent one. No mods of any kind are needed. There are no active parts to fail, nothing to "plug in". A good, properly set up U Tube overflow will run indefinitely without losing siphon. People have had them running 6 - 7 years and longer without issue. I ran one for 2 years before I got the new 180RR. Never even the slightest hint of an issue.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

I've been running for almost a year now and never had anything go wrong.

overflow1

The only thing I changed was the check valve I use 3/16 hard air line and stick a flex air line on it...tie it off and tuck it in the tank.