Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2006, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Fin and Feather advertisement

I am currently on leave from the hobby. I love to come check out RC just as I occaisionally find an LFS to stop and "smell the saltwater."

However, I was EXTREMELY disappointed when I clicked on the Fin and Feather ad today.

We rant and rave about the quality of care we expect for fish and corals, particularly WC specimens, out of a sense of responsibility for dependant creatures. When I went to the "Fin" website I saw that they also sell- puppies. Including "Labradoodles" and other overpriced mutts! They are being bred not to improve their breed, but to make money, while I know for a fact that there are over 15,000 homeless LABRADOR RETRIEVERS in this country, many of them purebred! That is not including other breeds. No responsible breeder would ever consider "selling out" this way, and it leaves to question their ethics as to the healthcare of the dogs. I do lab rescue, and I can tell you stories that would strike the heart of even people who don't love dogs, about irresponsible breeders and the agony the cause for the dogs they breed and the families who unknowingly purchase them.

When I see ads on RC, I assume (perhaps prematurely) that these people are held to a higher standard. Why do we demand care and respect for marine species when just a few feet away in the same building they are NOT respecting the canine population?
I think they should be removed as a sponsor for ethical reasons.

I will be clicking on FAR few RC ads now. They just don't have the same standard as I once thought that they did.
Old 12/24/2006, 11:02 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

[moved]

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/24/2006, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Beerguy- why move this here?

I have no personal experience with these people, but I think that RC should set a standard for what vendors they will and will not "endorse." Because by scrolling their ads on top, the average person thinks that they are supporting a responsible vender-

Because why would RC have their name attached to anyone who wasn't? But I also think that scope goes beyond just their handling of fish.
Old 12/24/2006, 11:22 AM
CTARS Member

I understand somewhat where you are coming from. I do Beagle rescues. But I also know that you have to provide what the customer wants. If the customers want dogs, birds, reptiles, etc in a full service store, then you need to provide them. I also know that he does a lot to support the local animal shelters.

When you get dogs from a breeder, you know what you are getting. When you get them from an adoption agency or pound, you don't always know the lineage.

I also know that he has an aquaculturing facility so that we aquariasts can get captive raised corals rather than raping the reefs for everything. There are not a lot of pet stores that do that. He is also a strong supporter of Applied Sustainable Aquaculture - a school that is teaching kids how to raise and care for corals.

So while you may not agree with where he gets his dogs, I can say first hand that the dogs are very well cared for. For everything he does for the hobby and for the community, he should get our full support.
Old 12/24/2006, 12:19 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8819761#post8819761 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by not ecooper
Beerguy- why move this here?

I have no personal experience with these people, but I think that RC should set a standard for what vendors they will and will not "endorse." Because by scrolling their ads on top, the average person thinks that they are supporting a responsible vender-

Because why would RC have their name attached to anyone who wasn't? But I also think that scope goes beyond just their handling of fish.
It was moved here because this is where it belongs.

I'm all for responsible dog ownership. Both of my dogs are rescue dogs and both are neutered.

Just because you don't agree with their business model it doesn't make it wrong or immoral. Did you know, for example, that one of the benefits of the breed that you specifically mention is that they produce significantly fewer allergens than either of the parent breeds. That might not mean much to you but it can there are plenty of folks whom it's important to.

When you see a commercial for the latest 'Available only on TV' item do you automatically think that it's a good product because the ad is on TV? Of course not. As consumers we get hit with a broad variety of advertisements. It's our job to gather and process that information before making a purchase. It's personal choice.

Cheers

(and have a Happy Christmas)

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/24/2006, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

not ecooper,

I am with you on this. I have spent many thousands of dollars in the past few years on this hobby, many to the sponsors here. I will not by from a merchandiser of puppies howver. I have read too many horror stories and I will avoid merchandisers who support "backyard breeders".
Too bad because I like some of the aquatic goods offered for sale there.
Anyone who wants to read about stores that sell puppies to the general public, just google "puppy mills" or speak to people in rescue organizations.
It is a personal choice for me, I vote with my wallet.
Old 12/24/2006, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8820158#post8820158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
It was moved here because this is where it belongs.

I'm all for responsible dog ownership. Both of my dogs are rescue dogs and both are neutered.

Just because you don't agree with their business model it doesn't make it wrong or immoral. Did you know, for example, that one of the benefits of the breed that you specifically mention is that they produce significantly fewer allergens than either of the parent breeds. That might not mean much to you but it can there are plenty of folks whom it's important to.

When you see a commercial for the latest 'Available only on TV' item do you automatically think that it's a good product because the ad is on TV? Of course not. As consumers we get hit with a broad variety of advertisements. It's our job to gather and process that information before making a purchase. It's personal choice.

Cheers

(and have a Happy Christmas)
Actually, no. Take a labradoodle, for instance. The marketing name given to a dog mixed with labrador retriever and poodle.

Labs shed. I have three, including my service dog (all rescues/former shelter dogs, including my service dog.) Trust me, from experience, they shed a LOT.

Poodles have a different type of hair. Less shedding, therefor often less of a bother to those with allergies.

When you purchase a labradoodle, you are usually getting a first generation cross. This cross may have the characteristics of the mother or the father. They may be more allergenic like a lab or less like a poodle. You never know.

They are not their own breed, and likely will never be, because when mixing a labradoodle with a labradoodle, the results are just as inconsistant as the T1 generations.

So your labradoodle MAY be less allergenic than its parents or not. Its a marketing ploy that is a lie. A good breeder breeds for the continuation and the improvement of the breed, and those who breed/sell labradoodles are NOT doing that. The results are so inconsistant that their "promises" just can't be promised.

I really don't want to stand on a soapbox about non-reef issues, but I really think this is a social issue in general that is being advertised on reefcentral. I think that is unfortunate for reefcentral, being the kind of socially aware and largely concerned community that it is.
Old 12/24/2006, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8819853#post8819853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hans1976
I understand somewhat where you are coming from. I do Beagle rescues. But I also know that you have to provide what the customer wants. If the customers want dogs, birds, reptiles, etc in a full service store, then you need to provide them. I also know that he does a lot to support the local animal shelters.

When you get dogs from a breeder, you know what you are getting. When you get them from an adoption agency or pound, you don't always know the lineage.

I also know that he has an aquaculturing facility so that we aquariasts can get captive raised corals rather than raping the reefs for everything. There are not a lot of pet stores that do that. He is also a strong supporter of Applied Sustainable Aquaculture - a school that is teaching kids how to raise and care for corals.

So while you may not agree with where he gets his dogs, I can say first hand that the dogs are very well cared for. For everything he does for the hobby and for the community, he should get our full support.
I'm sure he's a fine person. However:

We rescues know that the good breeders are responsible for their dogs until the day they die. And will take a dog back no matter how many years later until the day the dog dies if something changes and a family can't/won't keep the dog. If we weed out those breeders who are NOT responsible, rescuers like you and me would be out our volunteer jobs. WOOT WOOT. Perhaps with the exception of a few strays. Supporting those sub-standard breeders' business is NOT socially responsible.

Giving people what they want? Is that like an LFS selling someone five tangs for their 29 gallon and saying nothing because its "what they want?" When I was in the business, I didn't function like that, and if they didn't like it they didn't have to come back to my store. However, largely my customers saw success because of the education I gave them and came back many more times- and no fish suffered because I stood up for what was right.

So I'm sure he's a nice fella, but maybe when people come in asking for a labradoodle he should continue his social consideration to the dogs and educate them about WHY he doesn't sell labradoodles.

Wonderful family mutts are available at your local shelter for the cost of shots, spay/neuter. And thats the way it should stay.