Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2005, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

Bulk Head or Overflow Box?

I just got a 150 g Acrylic tank with no overflow box. What I want to do is to drill a hole in the back and put in a bulk head for water drain to a sump. Would the bulk head (1 1/2 inches) have enough flow rate or I need some kind of overflow box? Anyone's help is appreciated
Old 08/17/2005, 02:36 AM
HEY NOW.....

It depends entirely on how much flow you want to achieve. I believe the overflow calculator on the site says for 1000GPH you need a minimum of 1.31" diameter tubing, so, plan on getting about that through 1.5". With that said, I don't think 1000GPH would be enough for a 150G, unless you also plan on doing a CL. Check out my gallery for the PVC overflow I did. I'm only running about 800GPH through it and I have two 1.5" bulkheads.
Old 08/17/2005, 05:41 AM
Reef Addict

it will work but the bad thing about that is that it wont skim the top of u'r water as good as an overflow box so u will have to make some tipe of spray bar to clean the rest of the film that forms on top of u'r water.
Old 08/17/2005, 06:11 AM
Registered Member

An overflow box won't increase the flow rate through the drain. The maximum flow rate is determined by the bulkhead size. And the actual flow is determined by the capacity of the return pump you install. So, make sure that is big enough (using the calculator) and then consider the overflow box for surface skimming and to help maintain the water level.
Old 08/17/2005, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

Thank you all, I will put an overflow box over the bulkhead. Still not sure about the flow rate. Using the head loss calculator, with a Mag 18 at 8 feet and 1.5" pipe diameter the flow rate is 1305 GPH. This calculation is for the return water. Not sure if I can use it for the drain water and bulkhead size
Old 08/17/2005, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

quick question on the overflow box. is it better to notch the top edge or leave it straight?
Old 08/17/2005, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

I would have notches to prevent fishes getting in the box
Old 08/18/2005, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Notch the top.

With the straight edge it will work but its all fun and games until your fishy takes a ride down the water slide into the rock pile at the end of the slide... then it a mess.
Kinda like the water parks where there is a pile of people at the end and here comes bubba down the slide