Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2006, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Macna or IMAC confrence

Anyone been to both?? They are coming up this summer and the wife will only let me go to one. Which one would you choose?? Seems like Imac in Chicago would be a little better destination than Macna in Pittsburg.
Old 12/20/2006, 11:27 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

IMAC is great (I'm merely a volunteer staffer, by the way!) I can tell you that. Shedd tour, great talks, and just a fun, relaxed atmosphere. Not sure where you are from, but there's a lot more to do in Chicago, and certainly more good reef shops to visit, though the best ones now tend to have booths at the conference.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 12/20/2006, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Both are great conferneces. I go to both yearly This years MACNA is going to be great from everything I've seen. The Pittsburg crew is going all out Dennis always puts on a good IMAC, so it's hard to say

The best way to determine which to go to, is who has concurrent talks, and who has speaker you want to see. I'm a vendor, so I don't know which have concurrent talks now adays. In the past events I've attended as a hobbyist, I was really turned off by concurrent sessions. Especially when I wanted to see both speakers
Old 12/20/2006, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

IMAC or MACNA?

Hey Everybody;

If it will help you decide between IMAC and MACNA, here is some info for you.
We just had a fantastic IMAC this year and broke all records for the number of attendees and exhibitors. If you have never attended a major reef aquarist’s conference let me give you some idea of what to expect. There are 3 days of lectures by some of the world’s best-known experts and authors in the hobby. You can ask them questions after their presentations or get together with them later in the bar or any time you run into them in the hotel. We already have experts like

Martin Moe
Scott Michael
Eric Borneman
Anthony Calfo
Dr. Ron Shimek
Tullio Dell Aquila
Bob Fenner,
Kelly Jedlicki
Dr. Markus Huettel
Mark Schick
Frank Burr
Steven Pro
Joe Lichtenbert
Dr. Andrew Rhyne
Dr. Sanjay Joshi

lined up. Some speakers will be discussing advanced topics, of interest primarily to experienced reefers, others will be discussing topics of interest to new hobbyists. There is also a large exhibit hall with displays by major manufacturers and livestock dealers (with fabulous prices and great deals). They will be showing products you NEVER see in your LFS. And there is the Big Raffle with prizes donated by the exhibitors. But, for many people, the best part is getting together with other hobbyists and all the partying that is going on.

The next International Marine Aquarium Conference will be on June 1, 2 and 3, 2007 in Chicago at the Crowne Plaza O’Hare. We now have an Early Bird registration for just $125 (just for another month, then it goes to $149) that covers everything, including the Gala Banquet on Saturday night and the Speakers’ Reception on Friday night where you can mingle with the speakers and other attendees.

So hurry over to the IMAC website www.theimac.org and sign up for what we believe will be THE event of the year for reef aquarium hobbyists.

Happy Reefkeeping,

Dennis
Old 12/20/2006, 05:48 PM
Flowalicious

Also, if you go to Imac, theres a small chance you'll see Sanjay dressed up like a pirate.
Old 12/20/2006, 07:32 PM
Professional Aquarist

I have been to both IMAC and MACNA and both are great! IMAC is held by the same people in the same place, so it is very consistent. MACNA is in a different town run by different individuals every year. So, it has a different flair every year.

I can answer a few questions that have been brought up.
Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
The best way to determine which to go to, is who has concurrent talks, and who has speaker you want to see. I'm a vendor, so I don't know which have concurrent talks now adays. In the past events I've attended as a hobbyist, I was really turned off by concurrent sessions. Especially when I wanted to see both speakers
MACNA XIX will only have one speaker at a time on Friday and Sunday. During Saturday, there will be four workshops (anemone propagation, coral propagation, fish necropsy, and one to be determined) going on during the main speaker sessions. Here is a listing of our current confirmed speakers. There will be several more added in the coming months.

Adam Blundell
Eric Borneman
Anthony Calfo
Dr. Bruce Carlson
Dr. Stan Dannemiller
Helmet Debelius
James Fatherree
Lee Goldman
Ron Hessing
Kelly Jedlicki
Dr. Sanjay Joshi
Daniel Knop
Sarah Lardizabal
Dr. Frank Marini
Dr. Catherine McFadden
Mike Paletta
Steven Pro
Dr. Ron Shimek
Dr. Rob Toonen

And here is a listing of some of my favorite Pittsburgh sites. It is not as big as Chicago, but it does have some interesting things none the less.

Andy Warhol Museum - http://www.warhol.org/

Carnegie Science Center - http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/

Carnegie Museum of Art - http://www.cmoa.org/

Carnegie Museum of Natural History - http://www.carnegiemuseums.org/cmnh/

Center for Creative Play - http://www.cfcp.org/

Children's Museum - http://www.pittsburghkids.org/

Fort Pitt Museum - www.fortpittmuseum.com

Gateway Clipper Fleet - http://www.gatewayclipper.com/

Just Ducky Tours - http://www.justduckytours.com/

Kennywood Amusement Park - http://www.kennywood.com/

National Aviary - http://www.aviary.org/

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium - http://www.zoo.pgh.pa.us/

Phipps Conservatory - http://www.phipps.conservatory.org/

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 12/20/2006, 09:45 PM
TRC Leader

I've never been to an IMAC, but have heard good things about it.

I've been to many MACNA's and absolutly love every part of it. I couldn't imagine not making it to Pittsburgh next year seeing all the goodies the PMASI crew has lined up. Great speakers (many of them call PA home), vendors and workshops that would be a real shame to miss.

I guess if you have the non-reefing family members along you need to worry about local attractions. I think any good reefer who makes it and thinks of leaving the hotel when the conference is going, and is not at the bar or near to one when it's off hours needs their head examined!

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
Also, if you go to Imac, theres a small chance you'll see Sanjay dressed up like a pirate.
LOL they do that at MACNA too, it's nuts what beer will get people to do.
Old 12/21/2006, 02:58 AM
Premium Member

I think Steven and Dennis made the choice even harder by posting those insane rosters Best bet is to go to both
Old 12/21/2006, 07:12 AM
Professional Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
Best bet is to go to both
That is what I do. This will be my 8th MACNA and 3rd IMAC.

Old 12/21/2006, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

I will probably choose the Imac confrence just because Chicago is much more appealing to my wife than Pittsburg. Mostly going for the vendors, selection of corals in NE is'nt the best.
Old 12/21/2006, 10:11 AM
aka Knucklehead

Quote:
Originally posted by jbittner
I will probably choose the Imac confrence just because Chicago is much more appealing to my wife than Pittsburg. Mostly going for the vendors, selection of corals in NE is'nt the best.
Good choice!

One thing they haven't mentioned is that our ChiTown market has some of the best LFS that you'll find in the country!!!

Plan at least one extra day for a tour of them!

Boyd

Hey, frag that for me, will ya?

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!
Old 12/21/2006, 10:15 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Hey, Boyd, read my post again!!!

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 12/21/2006, 10:16 AM
U.S.M.A.S.

I am hitting MACNA in 2007 and IMAC in 2008
Old 12/21/2006, 10:28 AM
Professional Aquarist

Oh, I forgot to mention, our vendor hall has room for at least 117 10' by 10' booths for exhibitors. They will all be together in one massive space which is also next door to the speaker and workshop rooms. No one is going to be outside or on different floors.

Old 12/21/2006, 10:41 AM
aka Knucklehead

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
Hey, Boyd, read my post again!!!
Okay, so I'm just repeating what he said!!!

As he said, the Shedd tour is awesome and there is just a few other things to do here in Chicago!

Look forward to meeting you during your visit!

Boyd

Hey, frag that for me, will ya?

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!
Old 12/21/2006, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

IMAC Booths

You are right Steven, IMAC does not have quite as many booths as MACNA (space limitations at the hotel), but our speaker rooms are also right next to the Exhibit Area on the same floor.

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 12/21/2006, 11:38 AM
U.S.M.A.S.

I do not think it is a competition, both are great and you should go to the one that best fits your schedule. For me I can only hit one next year so I picked MACNA because it is close and I would not have to pay for a plane ticket, while in 2008 it may not be that close. IMAC is within driving distant so I will hit it in 2008 only because I do not have time in 2007 to hit both. Both are worth it if you can make it to either of them.
Old 12/21/2006, 11:43 AM
Professional Aquarist

Re: IMAC Booths

Quote:
Originally posted by degall
You are right Steven, IMAC does not have quite as many booths as MACNA (space limitations at the hotel), but our speaker rooms are also right next to the Exhibit Area on the same floor.

Cheers,
Dennis
I was really referring to past MACNA's, some of which have not done a great job in keeping everyone together. The Crowne Plaza venue is fabulous! It might be smaller (I really have no clue as to how many exhibitors there are, but there always seem to be plenty when I have attended), but there are tons of tables and chairs spread throughout the hotel. The bar is across from that cafe area and both are next to the speaker and exhibitor rooms. Anytime you walk by, there is inevitably a speaker or two sitting down, having a bite to eat, throwing back a drink, and chatting fish with attendees.

Old 12/21/2006, 11:45 AM
Professional Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by marinelife
I do not think it is a competition, both are great and you should go to the one that best fits your schedule. For me I can only hit one next year so I picked MACNA because it is close and I would not have to pay for a plane ticket, while in 2008 it may not be that close. IMAC is within driving distant so I will hit it in 2008 only because I do not have time in 2007 to hit both. Both are worth it if you can make it to either of them.
Well said. I like all the shows. Whichever one you can get to, go. There are all well worth it.

Old 12/21/2006, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

IMAC and MACNA

You are right marinelife, it is not a competition. We schedule IMAC at a different time of year so as not to compete. Yes Steven, some MACNAs in the past have had a few organizational difficulties but you seem to have yours very well organized, probably because you have been to so many conferences.

Just go to the nearest one.

This last year I offered Houston a free booth at IMAC to promote MACNA but they declined. The offer is still open Steven.

Happy Holidays,
Dennis
Old 12/21/2006, 12:07 PM
Professional Aquarist

Re: IMAC and MACNA

Quote:
Originally posted by degall
This last year I offered Houston a free booth at IMAC to promote MACNA but they declined. The offer is still open Steven.

Happy Holidays,
Dennis
Wow Dennis! Thank you very much. I believe we will take you up on your offer. And let me extend the same offer to you for IMAC to have a booth at MACNA XIX. I love it when people come together to help each other out for the good of the overall hobby. Send me an email so we can chat further.

Old 12/22/2006, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Good to knoow everyone works together in this hobby! I would love to visit both, but that is not an option this year. Maybe MACNA next year?? Any ideas where it might be next year??
Old 12/22/2006, 10:52 AM
Professional Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by jbittner
Good to knoow everyone works together in this hobby! I would love to visit both, but that is not an option this year. Maybe MACNA next year?? Any ideas where it might be next year??
No. Bids will start to be developed early next year and the final selection happens sometime in the spring. I have heard rumors about Atlanta, Las Vegas, and Seattle all submitting bids, but you never know.

Old 12/22/2006, 11:19 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Re: Re: IMAC and MACNA

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven Pro
Wow Dennis! Thank you very much. I believe we will take you up on your offer. And let me extend the same offer to you for IMAC to have a booth at MACNA XIX. I love it when people come together to help each other out for the good of the overall hobby. Send me an email so we can chat further.
Kissy, kissy!

Old 12/22/2006, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

I vote for Miami or fort lauderdale