Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/14/2007, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Mine looks a lot like David's last picture from that kind of distance. Seems to be in line with what others are saying about their pieces. Maybe the extra VHO pop helps bring out the darker colors. The BlackJack is realy holding the dark colors and looks awesome. We shall see what the future brings on the Independence Day. I agree with Creetin, the red in the ID is so "crazy dark" and lovely . Doc you have the best Micros around .
Old 02/14/2007, 12:40 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Thank you Alicia I am really glad you guys like them... Actinics absolutely help..The argument can rage but I still believe that actinics simlulate the depths from which the corals naturally occur.. heck they also make the colors POP! But even so my ID is still blue and red even when I have it out aways from the reef lighting on the cutting board for fragging... under only 100 watt lamp... I wonder if somehow the zoanthela in it starts to die off under lower lighting.. (not refering to lower systems.. but distance from the bulb vs. PAR) That one pic it seems so bleached out almost like a Carpet anemone that has been kept under PC rather than MH for 6 months? I donno I cannot think of a better explianation
Old 02/14/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

LOL, it's taken me days to get to the end of this thread.

Here is my 1st contribution.

I thought kpk might like to see how his baby is doing.
Old 02/14/2007, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doctor64776
Thank you Alicia I am really glad you guys like them... Actinics absolutely help..The argument can rage but I still believe that actinics simlulate the depths from which the corals naturally occur.. heck they also make the colors POP! But even so my ID is still blue and red even when I have it out aways from the reef lighting on the cutting board for fragging... under only 100 watt lamp... I wonder if somehow the zoanthela in it starts to die off under lower lighting.. (not refering to lower systems.. but distance from the bulb vs. PAR) That one pic it seems so bleached out almost like a Carpet anemone that has been kept under PC rather than MH for 6 months? I donno I cannot think of a better explianation
The interesting thing about that picture is that I took it the day after I received the frag...that is how it looked when I pulled it out of the bag from shipping. It has not changed a ton since then, maybe a little deepening but still pretty grayish in that outer edge and it is sitting up in the upper half of the tank right under the metal halides. I will try and snap another picture of it in the same manner as I snapped the original and see side by side how it looks. I can't imagine my PAR is all that much less than yours, but I am light challenged and never know what is what . I'm upgrading to a T5/MH fixture in the next few months , it will be interesting to see what happens then. The Orange Mist looks dead on like your pictures and sits right next to the ID in my tank. All very interesting...corals change in different tanks, that is just a fact. I am on a quest to "bring sexy back" to my Independence Day .
Old 02/14/2007, 04:34 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Alicia, which fixture are you getting?

Here is a purple/green, I have a few of them under different names - I really like this one.

Not a micro but I'm stoked that I've finally got this Lord to grow out. The mother is spectacular. Trying to nurse the one on the right back to life.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 02/14/2007, 04:45 PM
RC Sponsor

Yes Immediately after fragging zoanthella is lost/expelled, so often for a couple of weeks after sometimes frags may seem less ummm "colorful". When looking at Fligers reciept shot his appears initially as it should BUT wow later as it is a healthy well grown full colony it appears almost white! too wierd... Yes they to seem sooo drastically different in each individual tank.. you are so right... Lets get the sexy back

da6d2003 I like that first colony ALOT!

I have had many requests to post some pics of My BIG tank Build

Check it out

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...39#post9242339

Last edited by ReefDoctorMicromussas; 02/14/2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02/14/2007, 05:06 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

My coral was actually bluer than that pic upon receipt. I just abused it, I had some fish picking so I put most of my micros in an acrylic box I had made for the tank. I actually thought it was getting too much light so I lowered it, now I'm convinced they haven't received enough light. I raised the micro recently and noticed the white turning to a blue gray, I'm sure it will be back.

Doc, great tank. Can't wait to see it done - thanks for the link.

Nice da6d, I thought about buying that - good deal for $300 shipped or whatever it went for. kpk has (had?) some seriously nice stuff!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 02/14/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

hey, I have a question.... is it possible for micro polyps to separate from skeleton if salinity is too high? I have one single polyp frag that got flesh errosion and my salinity has been up around 1.028.. due to evaporation and no topoff....
I checked everything and cal = 420, dkh=9, mg=1340.
Old 02/14/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

hello guys, its been a while since i post here so i wanna share some of my micro colonies, some of them i posted before but they have been growing lately, im sorry about the pictures but im not quiet good with the camera.
Old 02/14/2007, 11:48 PM
Moved On

niceeeee
Old 02/16/2007, 12:29 AM
Moving Along

Duh da deh da daaa!

My very first, still a lil p'ode but had to snap a pic(under flash) in my excitement

-Justin
Old 02/16/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

VERY nice!

AAAH, get that emerald crab away!!! I will never own one again since I caught mine gleefully tearing a Lord to shreds to get to the food I just so painstakenly fed each polyp.
Old 02/16/2007, 01:14 AM
Moving Along

Thanks Wendy, I'll take another shot tomorrow in daylight, this was right after the day lights clicked off and went to just actinic so they sunk in.

I know, Im taking a risk. Ive witnessed one eat a mushroom before(but he died the next day poetic justice?) So Im still counting polyps as these crabs are only a month old in my tank, so far so good. Kinda had to though, been manually removing the valonia, but need there help keeping any babies from sproutin up. It was either that or a foxface, but I wanted to save the swimming space for a different fish as I only have a 50g.

She's actually being a good lil girl tearing the green and red turf algae. heheh a new rock to the crabs is like a dog finding a new tree isnt it?, they just zoom in on it!

-Justin
Old 02/16/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Well hopefully you will have very well behaved ones. I hear they exist. I've never seen them Gotta love that valonia. My LFS has some in his display, sometimes noobs ask if they can buy some from him
Old 02/16/2007, 01:33 AM
Moving Along

Over 5 and half years ago I remember being that noob...

-Justin
Old 02/16/2007, 09:13 PM
Moving Along

Day 2 after some serious cleaner work!

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin74
My very first, still a lil p'ode but had to snap a pic(under flash) in my excitement

-Justin
After the "crabmath" ya, Im loving this coral!

-Justin
Old 02/17/2007, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

Justin, Very nice

Okay here are comparison pics of my Independence Day Micro...it is definately getting lighter.

1-11-07

Today, 2-16-07...The area between polyps is a really nice teal blue which does not really show up in the pics but you can see how much lighter it is from a month ago.
Old 02/17/2007, 06:59 AM
RC Sponsor

That looks like it is bleaching... just like Fligers... same colors and all??? and you already have said that you keep it up high in a MH tank??? Thats is where it should be. it Stumps me Alicia.

CAN others post thier pics of Independance Day? I know there are a few of you out there prolly 20+

I was gonna ask if any of your tanks Have actinics... BUT like I said MY ID looks Blue and RED even with NOOO supplementation... I had it out fragging it yesterday and even under the 100 watt incandescent it was Blue and RED wheres the Sexy?
Old 02/17/2007, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Yup, I'm convinced it and the others bleached on me. I run Zeo and my water is very crystal clear. I have a higher PO4 param than most regular zeovit tanks, .04-.05 usually thanks to lots of feedings of my acans and micros....so I don't get any light pastel colored corals in my tank at all. But with the clear water these little guys are taking it hard. I have all the rest of my micros except the ID and the Orange Mist down on the bototm. I am going to move the ID down after seeing the comparison pics of it, but leave the Orange Mist where she is as she looks awesome.
Old 02/18/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

I have been following this thread from the beginning and I am constantly amazed by everyone's micros and their photography. I finally have my lps tank up and running and I just got a new camera. Here is my first micro, I believe it is purple haze - or at least a morph that is very similar.

Sorry about the pic. I just can't seem to catch it when it is nice and flat.

this one was sold to me as an acan lord but he said it might be a micro. the polyps are approx nickle sized - maybe a little smaller. I have seen some that look like mine on this thread. What do ya'll think? I cannot seem to get these in complete focus, sorry about the pic.

thanks for looking

hopefully there will be more to come SOON!!!

I love my family but I hate family reunions.
Family reunions are that time when you come
face to face with your family tree and realize
some branches need to be cut off.
Old 02/19/2007, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Doc I love the new Micros' I thank the Black Jack is going to be a top favorite of all the ones i have

Oh i forgot whit or the ones on the Valentine I like the green center with purple ring

You can find me with the little red house
Old 02/19/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Very nice saltnewbie. I have a Lord like the 2nd picture also. Grows very fast and likes light.
Old 02/19/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

So it is a lord? Do your polyps stay small? The colony I got that frag from had small polyps for a lord, that's why he thought it might be a micro. I would agree it likes light - under vho's it did not have good color at all. Likes it much better under mh!!

Thanks

I love my family but I hate family reunions.
Family reunions are that time when you come
face to face with your family tree and realize
some branches need to be cut off.
Old 02/19/2007, 01:30 PM
Moving Along

Matt from reefready.net has that guy listed as a micro too

-Justin
Old 02/19/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

My 2nd contribution