Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Might be getting 360g tank, want stocking opinions!

I am looking into getting a use acrylic 360g tank, it measures 96x24x36. I wish it was 36" wide, be great for coral cat sharks, but oh well. So I've always loved the really aggressive tank stock list of a Passer angel, Sohal tang, and clown trigger. But I am thinking about leaning away from that stock list, mainly because of the trigger and eating smaller fish/inverts. If I do go a different route, I want to get another Queen and Emperor angels, (had them before, then had to downgrade so I gave them bigger homes). I am also thinking about a third large angel, maybe a passer as the last angel/fish added, other angels I am considering is blueface, bluering or french, those 6 are my favs. I am definitely going to add a flame angel, maybe a coral beauty, cherub or bicolor as far as dwarfs go. As far as tangs go, would a vlamingi, naso, salfin or dussumieri tang be ok in a 360? I wish the width was 3', but it's only 2' (that is why I am not doing a shark tank). I was also considering maybe a small school of yellow tangs? Does it have to be at least 5 for them to get along? Maybe a purple tang, powder blue/brown, salfin, mimic, or orange shoulder, I won't add everything I list, just ideas. I still really want a sohal, again like the passer, might be added last fish, definitely last tang. After that, the stock list kinda falls apart, I was thinking about a school of damsels if the yellow tang idea falls through, or maybe just a mix of different types. Damsels are great FOWLR additives because they are scrappy and can take abuse, getting chased by other larger fish (relieving stress/fights from tangs/angels). Any ideas? I'd love a clown trigger, lion fish, or grouper, but I don't want to lose the clean up crew, inverts (cleaner shrimp, stars etc) or smaller fish (damsels, dwarf angels). Please give me some advice on a cool FOWLR stock list. BTW, it is going to be a long time before this is setup, I am in an apartment now, and once this tank is setup, it isn't moving! Need to get a house first. Thanks for the help!
Old 11/21/2007, 08:18 AM
Fish Wrangler

DPS, that's almost as big as mine. Just check out my videos and you can see there's plenty of room for fish. I've got all the ones you mention above plus more. Two vlamingiis, clown trigger, sohal, queen angel, dussimer, etc. Plus chromis to boot. Trigger has never bothered them. Go for it man.
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 11/21/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

I saw your video, your tank is amazing and truly an inspiration! Could you give me full details on your tank? Complete stock list, equipment etc? Have you tried any corals? I am just worried about the trigger(s) with small fish such as damsels and inverts/CUC.
Old 11/21/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Dude, you know you want the passer!! Go for it!

I would do the angels that you want if you want to do angels again and then do several tangs. I had 3 yellows, a naso and a powder blue in my 220 with the passer and had no problems.

You are going to have a lot of room in that tank. Maybe add a big wrasse. I had a paddlefin which was a great fish. Lots of action, very bold, but not as agressive as a lunar(also a great fish).

Just remember a 36in deep tank is really hard to clean the glass along the bottom- hope you have long arms! LOL.

Keep us posted as you go along.
Old 11/21/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I love the passer, I think I will add him in last. I am going to go with the emperor first, then the queen, and then the passer. I don't know what I want to do about tangs, I think I am going against the school of yellows, too much waste, rather have different tangs. I think I might get a sohal as my last tang, I really like the vlamingi and the dussumieri, the naso and salfin are ok, but I think I should limit myself to only one large tang besides the sohal. I would love a large wrasse and a clown trigger, but I want to have cleaner shrimp, a clean up crew and maybe some brittle stars etc. How is your passer doing? You get the big FOWLR going yet? I am dreading trying to clean the bottom of this tank, hopefully a magnet with get most of the algae. That is another reason why I am scared to get any triggers or wrasse's, I want to have a CUC. I am going to have tons of snails doing the work for me. I think I am going barebottom or starboard, to help with cleaning. What do you think? I should be getting the tank this weekend (sunday) but it is going to be awhile before I can set it up. I'll set up my 6ft 110g acrylic tank as a growout tank for some of the angels/tangs etc in the meantime.

So I guess the stock list looks like this

Angels:
Emperor
Queen
Passer?? or Blueface/French/Bluering or??
Flame
Coral Beauty
Bi color?? Golden Pgymy?? Cherubs??

Tangs:
Sohal
Vlamingi?? Dussumieri?? Naso??
Red sea Salfin
Purple
Yellow
Chocolate (yellow mimic)

Pair of Percula's with host anemone
Psuedochromis
Lyretail Anthias (1 male, 3 female)
Lawnmower blenny
Assorted damsels (good angel/tang chase playmates)
Christmas/Lunar/Harlequin Tusk/Sixline wrasse???

Also, I think I am going to do barebottom on this tank. Since there are going to be some big fish and lots of waste, I want to syphon it out easily. Should I go BB or put down a starboard? I am worried about it effecting the fish? I want jawfish, but without a sand bed, it isn't happening, any fish in my stock list benefit with a sandbed?
Old 11/21/2007, 08:58 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Sounds like this will definitely be a cool project. Keep us posted! And good luck!

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 11/21/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

To give you some more inspiration look at my thread of 300 gal,I have lots of fish in there.Jimcowns tank as you saw is well stocked beautiful tank and is doing well.Just go for it, just make sure you have an awesome bio filter and huge skimmer.
Old 11/21/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Most wrasses benifit from a sand bed,but the ones on your list should be ok.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:38 AM
Fish Wrangler

I don't have any corals in my tank. I have dosed with Cupramine about a year ago so corals wouldn't make it. The only negative about the size tank is the height. Don't get me wrong, I love the way it looks, but it is hard to take care of. Mine has been up for over a year now. Some things I have come up with for cleaning are to attach a brush to a 3' piece of PVC, get the longest pair of aqua tongs you can find. Get some good lighting. I run VHO and it does a good job. Plain fluorescents are not enough. I would like to get halides later to get the shimmer look. As for filtration I use two filter socks, change them out every 3 days, skim with an ASMG4X (which I can't say enough good things about) and run a chaeto section in my sump for nitrate export. Also I do 15% water change every 2 weeks, sometimes I go longer. I have two Seio 2600's in there for water circulation. My return is an Iwaki Japanese pump that does about 1100gph. I think it filters better if there isn't a ton of flow going through the sump. The internal circulation is taken care of with the Seios.
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 11/22/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Well ok this fish list is a list that I would use if I had a 360G FOWLR tank like yours:
(Consider the fact this maybe costly)
(Naturally I personally wouldn’t put all of these)
(The inches are based from your tank size and the aggressiveness)

Angelfish/Butterflyfish
- Queen Angelfish (5-6 inch)
- Blue Face Angelfish (7-8inch)
- French Angelfish (7-8inch Diameter)
- Passer Angelfish (5-6inch)
- Chyrusus Angelfish (7inch)
- Imperator Angelfish (8inch)
- Majestic Angelfish (8-9inch)
- Personifer Angelfish (6inch)
- Regal Angelfish (6+ inches)
- Scribbled Angelfish (6inch)
- Small School of Golden Butterflyfish (5inches each)

Grouper
- Clown Grouper (4-5inch)
- Miniatus Grouper (4-5inch)

Lionfish
- Antennata Lionfish (5-6inch)
- Radiata Lionfish (5-6inch)

Parrotfish
- Princess Parrotfish (5-6inch)

Puffer
- Burr Puffer (5-6inch)
- Porcupine Puffer (5-6inch)

Tang
- Vlamingi Tang (10-12inch)
- Blonde Tang (9-11inch)
- Sohal Tang (7-8inch)
- Unicorn Tang (9-11inch)
- Achilles Tang (7-8inch)

Triggerfish
- Clown Triggerfish (5-6inch)
- Niger Triggerfish (8inch)
- Black Triggerfish (8inch)

Wrasse
- Harlequin Tusk (6-7inch)
- Green Bird Wrasse (5-7inch)
Old 11/23/2007, 09:00 AM
Fish Wrangler

Whoa Jazz, now that would be too many fish. That sounds like a public aquarium. Those angels get big.
Old 11/23/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Shrimp, still planning the BIG tank. My passer is doing great, 5-6 inches now. He is starting to boss the naso around so I am watching them really close. If he gets to agressive before I get the big tank up I may have to get another intermediate sized tank for him in the interum.(hope not).
Old 11/23/2007, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

DPS..........exactly how many different ideas have you had over the past 16 months?? It seems about every 30 days you have some new tank size, new stocking idea, or who knows what.

I hope you can make this one a reality, or at least stick with it for awhile
Old 11/23/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Chad, will definitely keep an update, unfortunately, this take is too big to put up where I am living now, so I will have to wait until I buy a house, I'd hate to have to tear this thing down and move it! I will post up pics when I get it.

reefer334, your tank is very cool! I've seen the video, love all the triggers! I just want to have a clean up crew and shrimp etc, so I think triggers are out of the question for me. Did you ever reaquascape your tank? I'd love to see another video of everything back to normal.

jmc, is your tank 3ft tall? I know cleaning it is going to be a major PITA! That is why I am considering bare bottom. Wow, 2 filter socks every 3 days!? That has to get expensive! I think I might do T5s for lighting, I know flourscents won't be enough, but I don't want to deal with halides, heat/electric use. The tank is coming with an Iwaki RTL 100 pump, it puts out 2000gph. I have a fuge currently I will be using. I think I am going to add Korilia powerheads for extra flow, two 4's and maybe two 3's.

Jazz, that's a nice stock list, it may (very big may) just work when those fish are young and small, but I am looking to keep them for life. I don't want to get rid of any fish because I am overstocked or it's out growing the tank. I've down that before, with my last 3 angels, thought they were going to better homes, and it turns out they are no long swimming anymore, sad...

OS, what are the details on the big tank? Figured out a size yet? Yeah, passer's can be bullies! I will add him last, with a sohal mostlikely.

Vbreeze, HAHA! Yeah, being in college has forced me to change setups around, whether it be money issues or moving issues. When I buy a house, then I was planning on getting a huge FOWLR, til then just setup my 110 reef. But I found this tank for a good deal and couldn't pass it up. That is what usually makes me change setups so much, I find great deals and things change! Hopefully sunday I will get this tank, haven't heard from the seller in a few days, but when I do get it, I will post up some pics! It won't be until I get a house or permanent location that can support such a big tank.
Old 11/23/2007, 03:11 PM
Fish Wrangler

DPS, yes my tank is 3 ft tall. On the filters, I actually make my own filter socks. I can make about 10 of them for less than $5. I just throw them in the washer and reuse, no bleach or chemicals of course. I just get some felt from Wal Mart and my wife sews them together for me with a handle on them. I found a thread on here on how to make them. Here is a link. I think this is a good one for anyone that uses filter socks. I have used all methods of filtration and I like these the best by far.

http://www.randystacye.com/diy_filter_sock.htm
Old 11/23/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Cool idea, as long as you keep up with changing the socks out, should work good. Can you just hand wash them though? I'd hate to run the wash for just a few little socks, plus I'd be afraid there still is some bleach/detergent left in there. What do you use for a clean up crew? Hows the wrasse and triggers? I'd love to get a H tusk and a clown trigger, but worried about the inverts.
Old 11/23/2007, 04:06 PM
Fish Wrangler

I just keep some big hermits for cleanup. I've been using filter socks for over a year now with NO problems whatsoever. I just wash them. I tried the handwashing but it was too hard and time consuming. I just keep the dirty ones in a bucket and when I get enough for a load I just pitch them in the washer and then I have a bucket of clean ones. VOILA!
Old 11/23/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Cool idea, as long as you keep up with changing the socks out, should work good. Can you just hand wash them though? I'd hate to run the wash for just a few little socks, plus I'd be afraid there still is some bleach/detergent left in there. What do you use for a clean up crew? Hows the wrasse and triggers? I'd love to get a H tusk and a clown trigger, but worried about the inverts.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Ok, well if all goes well, I will be picking the tank up tomorrow, I'll take some pictures, just won't know how to host them!
Old 11/24/2007, 06:26 PM
Fish Wrangler

photobucket is a popular hosting site. Very easy to use.
Old 11/24/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

haha ya, maybe I exaggerated with the sizes but admit it, it's a pretty good list for a FOWLR tank.
Old 11/25/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Well, I got the tank, it's F'n HUGE! Not to mention the weight! The acrylic is thick! About an 1"!!!! I didn't think it would be that thick or heavy. Too bad it's going to be a long time before I can set up it. My phone is dead, when it charges, I will post up some pics hopefully. I have lots of questions about setting it up, but I have tons of time to research. My main concern is the electric bill, it came with an Iwaki RLT 100 pump, puts out 2000gph. The guy who had the tank up and running, costed about $180 a month for the lights, pump, and a small skimmer. The pump is what is killing the bill, I won't be running halides, just NO T5s. I am considering getting a rio HF32 pump, 1920gph, at 6ft/1300gph. I have a HF26 now I was going to use on my 110, it puts out 1590gph, 6ft head 1140gph. The Iwaki runs at about 350 watts, and the rio HF32 only runs at 115. I am thinking about selling the Iwaki, and getting the larger rio. What do you guys think? I need to keep my electric bill way down! Also anyone ever heard of emperor aquactics skimmers? I got a pretty beefy one with the tank.
Old 11/25/2007, 07:48 PM
Fish Wrangler

I don't think that sounds right. I run an Iwaki 1100gph and it's like $6 a month to run. It's the japanese version, they're more energy efficient. No way it would cost $180 a month. He must have had 1000w halides or something.
Old 11/25/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

He had 3 250w halides, with I guess PC supplements. I was doing some research, and found that the 100RTL (2000gph) was 353 watts to run it. That seems really high, especially when I can get a RIO 32HF that puts out 1920gph and only uses 115 watts. I am trying to keep the electric bill down. Jim, how much is your electric bill for your 380 if you don't mind me asking? You run an 1100gph return pump?

Ok, so here are some pictures of this tank, it's pretty dirty, but I have plenty of time to clean it up, build a new stand and design the plumbing the way I want it.

96x24x36, it's a pretty tall tank!

Just to get a comparison size idea, and yes that is a real life sized bike! It's my 03 kawi 636 soon to be stunt bike!
[/IMG]

Sorry about the crappy quality, the iphone isn't the best picture!
[/IMG]

Here you can see my 110g tank below it on the ground, for size comparison
[/IMG]

It's pretty thick!
Old 11/25/2007, 10:06 PM
Fish Wrangler

My total electr. bill is around $150 mo. even in the coldest months.

Oh and don't use RIO stuff, you'll electrocute your fish. Never heard much good about their stuff.