Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/22/2007, 06:36 AM

nugz, thank you.

Chad, yes I saw him on LA's Divers Den and snatched him away. I couldnt believe my eyes that I finally found one. I tried getting one from Marine Center a while back, but could never get in contact with anyone. Wish I had a pair though!

token, you're very welcome. The comments you made, tells me a lot about you and how we are both on the same interest wavelength. If you can see what I am seeing as being a great read/pics, then you also get the enjoyment I get when working on this aquarium. I really appreciate your positive comments. Hope to see an "official" rimless texan added to our club soon.

GSM, thank you. I've been updating it as much as time permits. I dont have any other way of sharing my life experiences to the world as no more than a BLOG. Some of it gets too personal and may not be appropriate for this thread. As for the coral color.. do you mean the capnella (brown to light green?) If so, I was dissappointed when it was brown and I also purchased this from LA. Sanjay confirmed that this coral will turn the color it was advertised with increased light penetration. Sure enough, it worked. Now I have it back under low light and its holding its color. I cant wait for it to colonize!
Old 07/22/2007, 08:30 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Hey invincible if your looking for a smaller pyramid to pair yours up with pm copps. He has been bringing these in to our area for the last few months on a regular basis and finding a juvi shouldn't be too difficult.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 07/22/2007, 09:43 AM

Thanks Dan. I heard he bas been bringing in some other fish a well. For now, i am going to stick with the reputable sources that have the 2 wk guarantee. It dissapoints me that I could of possibly of still had my skribble and meredithi. I loved those fish. Those both died within the wk (one the next day) and justrarefish didnt care. With LA, they make sure those fish are very healthy from what I have read and it shows when they are in my tank.
Old 07/22/2007, 10:02 AM
clownfish fan

yes the capnella, thats a cool softie i want to find myself some now. was that coral in divers den?

i purchased a real one of a kind purple H. Crispa from LA last winter well. fed ex screwed up the shipment and it died, i was glad and impressed how easy it was to get a refund.
Old 07/22/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Thanks Dan. I heard he bas been bringing in some other fish a well. For now, i am going to stick with the reputable sources that have the 2 wk guarantee. It dissapoints me that I could of possibly of still had my skribble and meredithi. I loved those fish. Those both died within the wk (one the next day) and justrarefish didnt care. With LA, they make sure those fish are very healthy from what I have read and it shows when they are in my tank.
I agree with your sentiments in avoiding "sell it before it dies" suppliers.

I've never heard of a two week guarantee on marine fish. How much more do you have to pay to cover the guarantee? i.e. how much is a Pyramid butterfly from either source (two week guarantee vs. live arrival guarantee)?

Your Pyramid looks great. A pair would be impressive in a big tank like yours. A pair of Heniochus Acuminatus would also look cool.
Old 07/22/2007, 10:25 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by mr.wilson

I've never heard of a two week guarantee on marine fish. How much more do you have to pay to cover the guarantee? i.e. how much is a Pyramid butterfly from either source (two week guarantee vs. live arrival guarantee)?

Your Pyramid looks great. A pair would be impressive in a big tank like yours. A pair of Heniochus Acuminatus would also look cool.

live aquaria offers a 2 week guarontee on all livestock.
Old 07/22/2007, 10:25 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:

live aquaria offers a 2 week guarantee on all livestock.
Old 07/22/2007, 11:16 AM

GSM, glad to hear LA took care of you. Thats what i mean about feeling good on what you purchased. Here's the link to the Pineapple Tree Coral I purchased: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2412

mr. wilson, Im not too sure what the price is from another vendor. I do recall that Marine Center had some in a month or so ago for $80. The one I purchased was $50. I havent seen them anywhere else to compare prices.

Last edited by invincible569; 07/22/2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07/22/2007, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

I have had nothing but good experiences with live aquaria. The corals always arrive in great condition with a certificate of health and origin. Helpful customer service as well.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 07/22/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
GSM, glad to hear LA took care of you. Thats what i mean about feeling good on what you purchased. Here's the link to the Pineapple Tree Coral I purchased: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2412

mr. wilson, Im not too sure what the price is from another vendor. I do recall that Marine Center had some in a month or so ago for $80. The one I purchased was $50. I havent seen them anywhere else to compare prices.
$50.00 with a 2 week guarantee is an amazing deal. I hope they can stay in business with that level of service and reasonable pricing.

The Marine Center pricing is geared toward a niche market of collectors. Many people in the industry use them as a reference of the most you could possibly charge for a fish.
Old 07/22/2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
$50.00 with a 2 week guarantee is an amazing deal. I hope they can stay in business with that level of service and reasonable pricing.
Some livestock is more expensive than others. for example, the Africanus Angel they have listed is $2k and I have seen this fish on justrarefish for $1200. But again, with my bad experience with justrarefish, guarantee of the fish to the door is all you get. If the fish can live more than 2 wks, the odds are against you loosing that fish. Im pretty sure they will stay in business as customer service is a top priority with everyone in the U.S.
Old 07/22/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

nice light
Old 07/23/2007, 02:44 PM
g0t fIsH

i recently bought from justrarefish an 8" crosshatch trigger, and ask him to make sure he's was in real great shape when i bought him. but i know for one thing when i got him his right fin was broken almost all the way second his scales was damaged both left and right probably from catching him 3rd all top, bottom and rear fins are damaged from either other fishes fighting it or so. he was nice enough to give me some credit but IMO he knew what fish was being shipped to me and made me take the bite. i also had to pay air cargo freight too. this would be the first and last time i even check that website out. i had bought many fishes from live aquaria and guarantee anything purchased from them.. their customer service along with 14 day guarantee earn my business all the time..

(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/23/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

I bought my flagfin and my majestic through LA and both showed up in great health and were eating right away. I think all of their fish go through quaranteen before they are put up for sale on the site IIRC. That may be how they can offer a 14 day guarantee?

I just put in a order for 2 buckets of salt and a couple other things and shipping was 15.99. That's great IMO

Chad
Old 07/23/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Yeah i received countless stuff from LA and it was great untill my last sps order which I now have AEFW and RB's
Old 07/23/2007, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

same for me

Old 07/23/2007, 03:34 PM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by clownnrnd
I bought my flagfin and my majestic through LA and both showed up in great health and were eating right away. I think all of their fish go through quaranteen before they are put up for sale on the site IIRC. That may be how they can offer a 14 day guarantee?

I just put in a order for 2 buckets of salt and a couple other things and shipping was 15.99. That's great IMO

Chad
i orderd from petsolutions with free shipping.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/23/2007, 04:09 PM

justrarefish is racking up some bad press.
Old 07/24/2007, 03:53 PM
Team RC Member

tanya and thirschmann, did you dip your new corals from LA and detect the pests, then throw them out, or did they go into and infect your tanks ?

Sorry to hijack, Edward, but I'm particularly AEFW-sensitive since my prior tank was wiped out by those bastages.
Old 07/24/2007, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

I have never had a problem with pests on any LA corals as far as I know. I know I have had a problem with a LFS that had redbugs and spread it around but never any problems with LA corals.

Old 07/25/2007, 10:25 AM

Since the existing Pyramid was doing so well, I decided to get him a brother.

Old 07/25/2007, 10:29 AM
clownfish fan

super pimp
Old 07/25/2007, 10:47 AM

That rabbit fish in that picture jumped out last night and found him flopping on the tile floor. I wrote about it on my BLOG if you want to read the rest.
Old 07/25/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

That sucks! They should train them not to jump before they ship to us.
Old 07/25/2007, 11:15 AM
clownfish fan

i already read about it, i think you need more than one moonlight. what about a brightish white in the middle and two reds on the flanks. fish cant see the red but you can.