Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/17/2007, 08:52 PM

fisheebill, its coming along great. There's a lot of detail in there with all my plans. Thats why im holding back so I can surprise you guys

Abe, wish you could! You have to represent Texas!
Old 02/18/2007, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

Your tank is beautiful! It boggles my mind how it can be that large and rimless. Do they guarantee that it won't blow out? Did they say if the risk of it blowing out increases over time? Do you know what the largest tank that they can make rimless is?

Absolutely stunning.
Old 02/18/2007, 02:49 AM
Premium Member

Invincible- I decided to go braceless! I'm having them build a 84x42x25 for me. I was worried about deflection, but after talking with them I am not. The builder/engineer Tommy said he had absolutely no worries with the size I requested--zero deflection. He did say that 27" tall is probably the limit for braceless tanks he builds using 3/4" glass, but max. length was not mentioned. They did say 1" glass is always an option!
Old 02/18/2007, 06:37 AM

Wayne, it comes with its regular warranty just like the ones that are braced. I did risk going braceless this size, but i also thought about where I lived... close to AE.. who will support me if anything did happen. I think tentacles just answered your question on the limit.

tentacles, you are more brave than I am. Thats definitely pushing it. Wow. I'll be honest with you.. I am a bit nervous still. I think if I would of went with 1", that would ease my mind. Or if I would of went tempered. Is your starphire too? Make sure you get ready for maintenance with a rimless tank that wide/deep. Im already having trouble reaching the back middle. If you go through with that size, it should be one nice tank!! Your going to have to get creative on the aquascape! When will it be complete?
Old 02/18/2007, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

I don't understand why you would have problems reaching the back middle. Just put on your Speedo, step over the front glass and stand in the middle. You have PLENTY of room.
Old 02/18/2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigEasy
I don't understand why you would have problems reaching the back middle. Just put on your Speedo, step over the front glass and stand in the middle. You have PLENTY of room.
Thats Option 1.

Option 2, create a wood framework over the tank for maintenance.. somewhere where I can lay down and put my hand in. Then remove the wood framework when I dont need it.

Option 3, have wife wear new bikini. Incorporate all assets into one picture.

Back to option 1, I cant swim. Therefore this is out of the question.
Old 02/18/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Option 3, have wife wear new bikini. Incorporate all assets into one picture.
I like the sound of Option 3, I think others would agree with me
Old 02/18/2007, 10:18 AM

I was offered a coral package yesterday from someone who was taking down their tank. I had to deny the offer since I didnt have a Ca Reactor setup. This started to make me think and now I feel I should be ready for anything that comes. Therefore, my next step is to start working on my Ca Reactor. I have a Schuran Jestream 2 in which I received from Aquarium Obsessed. The unit is top notch and i really love it. It looks more high tech than my previous Korallin. The only problem I have is that the directions are in german. Im trying to figure out what goes where by looking at the picture. And as for the C02 bubble counter.. do I just add water in it?

Old 02/18/2007, 10:23 AM

Thanks Naka for the Ca Media. I had the media in RO water for months now.

Old 02/18/2007, 10:36 AM

Does anyone know what WasserablaB stands for? The diagram is pointing to the bottom left line. Not sure if this is for purging the water out? I did a translation, but it doesnt translate. I looked at Schuran 1 pics, but they dont have this 1/4" line on the bottom left. If you look above, its the small 1/4" line with a small gate by my daughters feet.
Old 02/18/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The only problem I have is that the directions are in german.
Maybe this would work ??

Translater
Old 02/18/2007, 10:59 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

You're killin us on the lights man.

When I set mine up I don't think I slept for 5 nights, just waiting for it to blow. But Europeans like Tunze and Elos and many others have been building these tanks for years. I've seen pix of a 64" x 64" cube they built. I would recommend low-iron at those thicknesses, mine is 12cm and my new tank (64L x 32W) is going to be 15cm or 19cm, can't remember - which would be too green with standard float glass.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 02/18/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Edward, I think the line by your daughters foot is a drain line. The JS1 is similar. To rid the unit of all air when you start it up disconnect the recirculating line from the injection manifold. The recirc line is the red one coming from the top left of the reactor down to the injection mainfold. Hold your finger over the male hose barb and the air will escape through the tubing. Put a towel on the floor and when you get all the air out just reconnect hose. You may need to do this more than once becouse there might be trapped air in the recirc. pump lines as well as the media.

yes just add water to the bubble counter.

What pump are you using to feed the reactor? I found itt was easier to pull water through the reactor vs feeding w/ a pump. JS2 may be different.

Chad
Old 02/18/2007, 11:46 AM

asnatlas, my wife says bring the camera. jk!! she didnt say that. I tried the UK translator, but that didnt work either on that word. Thanks anyways.

David, I have to make some adjustments to the lights. There was something I didnt like about it so I am ordering a new part. As for not being able to sleep.. i feel the same way. I was waiting to wake up one morning and see water all over the floor. That's my ultimate fear. All i can do is put trust in Tommy's work.

Chad, thanks for the feedback. Thats what I needed to know. I opened it and sure enough it jizzes out. Thanks for the other tips.. I was wondering why the water only filled halfway and just stopped. Right now Im using a maxijet, but do plan to purchase a peristaltic pump. Which pump did you end up going with? Other than that, i just need to fill up the C02 bottle.
Old 02/18/2007, 12:37 PM

Chad, that tip helped a lot!! I didnt realize that. You did your homework. All the bubbles have been purged.

When adding media to the Schuran, the entire center body has to be unscrewed. I thought that was pretty cool.

Old 02/18/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Hey Ed I have alot of media left from mine PM me if you need it im gonna be sellin it soon
Old 02/18/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Ed,
How u going to feed Carx.? I use peristaltic pump from Cole-palmer for 2 years now . Works like a charm And its easy to adjust Alk Once this reactor dial -in u have no problem

mike
Old 02/18/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I totally forgot you were using the JS2. I have good couple pounds of media I could of sent w/ the magnet, sorry.

I found this pump to work best. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=AQ4511

Right now I assume you are feeding water to the reactor through the mini ball valve located w/ the recirc line? Then you have effluent line(middle blue line on top of the recirc. head) going back to the tank/sump?

What I did with this pump is very different but was suggested to me becouse I found w/ feeding the reactor in the above way it was hard to not create a siphon on the reactor.

What I did was pull water through the reactor. Open the mini ball valve all the way open and add a air line hose to it and drop it in the sump. Somewhere where it is not going to suck up a bunch of detritus. Take the blue line from the top of the recirc. head and attach it to the side of the above mentioned pump that is pulling the water. On the output side of the pump attach a line going back to your sump. Assuming that is where you would drip effluent.

Only thing I wonder about is if the AM pump is strong enough to pull through the JS2??? It did great on my JS1. YHPM

Chad
Old 02/18/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Does anyone know what WasserablaB stands for?
I work for a German company and have many German speaking colleagues at my location. I can ask one of them. But... I broke up the words. I think most uf us know Wasser means water. ablaB translates to died so perhaps it's dead water or in other words, wastewater. That would be my educated guess.
Old 02/18/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Wasserablass. In the german alphabet there are several additional characters and that thing that looks like a B is a "sharp S". It basically means water release where the action implies a choice by the user such as drain the reactor for removal or rfilling of media.

If you need a translation of the manual Id be happy to do it. Just shoot me a PM.

HTH
Herman
Old 02/18/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

btw Edward, the bubble counter has to be filled with parafine-oil or something like that. Water will evaporate into the CO2 eventually.

Leonardo

"Formosa Forest"
(click red house)
Old 02/18/2007, 05:42 PM
Onyx Clownfish

This is also a cheap alternative to a dosing pump. I use this for my top off and plan on using it with my GEO calcium reactor as well.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...Category_Code=

Then I came across this idea:

Old 02/18/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Teeing-off like dat will lead to an unstable flow-rate thru the reactor in my experience. The flow rate will gradually slow-down to nothing and you will have to adjust the flow-rate consistently. IMHO, a dosing pump is definately the way to go for feeding any CR.
Old 02/18/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

I've been feeding my Calcium reactor from the return pump for over a year with no issues.

Only I like to place the JG fitting at the reactor so that I can remove the reactor without much mess.

Old 02/18/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Invincible- I just made the decision on the braceless vs. braced decision Friday, I'm going to let them know tomorrow, so I'm not sure when it will be complete. I've been trying to decide for the past month! The front and both ends will be starphire. I had asked about adding a bare minimum of bracing just for my piece of mind and they said it was really unnecessary. I'm not real tall and my stand is only going to be 30" tall-I'm lucky that I don't need to put any thing under it- so I hope that will help a little. I'm shopping for a snorkel&mask too!