Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 11:36 AM
Beer King

Question on bulbs// Lighting

Im thinking of replacing my bulbs. Currently im running 3 10k 250 watt MH with 8 t5s. I dont like the yellowish look of the 10ks. So which selection would you go with. either 2 14k on each side with a 20k in the middle. 2 20k on the side with a 14k in the center. Or 3 14k all the way around? The 14k bulbs will be phenix for sure The 20k will prob be either be hamilton or xm. I will be selling my other bulbs they have less than 2 months use @ roughly 6 hours a day at the max.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

I love my hamilton 14k's best color I have tried withoiut a doubt IMO. Just the right amount of blue yet still bright white enouph to not look dim but as you know it is one of many opinions . I would definetly go across the board with one color but that is also a personal preference I have. All about symentry, I get way to hung up on it sometimes.

Don't judge me because I can't spell. I use my brain space for more important things, like thinking of a fancy user name
Old 01/08/2008, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

If you are keeping the t5s as actinic, what about trying a reeflux 12k so that you lose the yellow but everything is not so blue? I can't speak from personal experience, but people seem to like them. If not that then I would vote for all 14k phoenix.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:03 PM
Beer King

Im really a fan of the blue. I just dont want to be tidy bowl blue if you know what i mean. I have the 14k phoenix on my nano & I like it alot. Im just wondering if the 250 watt version will look as good. Ive had the same bulbs before but just in different wattage & they didnt look the same.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

I've got 250W DE Phoenix's and love them (paired with VHO's). It seems like the color was blue-er a few years ago, but I may be imagining things... These arent bad, just not as blue as I remember when I got my first set of bulbs.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Ive got the 400w 12k reeflux. Im super impressed. I went from 20k radiums. The reeflux still have a nice blue tint to them, but still much whiter then the 20ks. Get pretty good reviews from what I've read as well.

I really liked the radiums. Im a blue fan I just needed something to give me better growth. The 12k reeflux is a perfect compromise for me.