Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Cycling a Picotope 3 with Existing System Materials

Hey everybody. I'm getting a Picotope 3 for the holidays, and was wondering whether or not it needs to be cycled if I use water and live rock from my existing system. I currently have a 350 gallon reef tank that has been established with balanced parameters for roughly 2 years now. I plan on simply taking some of the water from this large system and using it in the Picotope. I'm also planning on probably using some live rock from the refugium.

1.) If I buy a new bag of live sand and possibly some new pieces of live rock for the Picotope, do I need to let it cycle?

2.) Will the Picotope be safe for livestock right away since I'm using biologically established rock and water from my other system, even if the sand is new?

Thanks for your time and happy holidays!
Old 12/24/2007, 03:57 PM
------------

I believe that it should be fine.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Use a cup of Live sand from your established tank to seed the new bagged sand. Most bagged sand is not really live because who knows how long it has been sitting on the shelves.