Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

are moorish idol's reef safe??

Just wondering whether to buy the Moorish Idol of my dreams? I have a 6x2x2 reef tank with 7 different tangs, 1 blue trigger, 1 magenta dottyback, 1 PJ wrasse, 1 clown & a manderin. I've wanted a Moorish for some time now, and am aware about the finicky side to them, but am just concerned if my corals will be ok??
Anyone have experience of Idols in a reef??
Old 01/02/2008, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Ive never kept one because of the finicky eating but i dont think they're reef safe IMO there better left in the ocean.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Yes IMO you need to have a Moorish Idol in a reef enviroment for it to have a chance to live
Old 01/02/2008, 05:57 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Moorish Idols are among the most difficult of all fish to keep. They require large amounts of algae or natural sponges to eat and may reject all offered foods. They eat many corals and polyps. I wouldn't recommend one unless you are a very experienced and succesful reef keeper.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevrontang25
Yes IMO you need to have a Moorish Idol in a reef enviroment for it to have a chance to live
you may need a reef enviroment for them to live but it doesnt make them reef safe they eat corals and polyps
Old 01/02/2008, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevrontang25
I have to disagree, yea it may help them settle in better just like all fish that are use to a reef setting but it can survive without it. Live rock is must if thats what your mainly referring too. My main concern is trying to add this delicate fish with 7 tangs already. Once established they can hold their own for the most part but the tangs will give it a hard time and could cause harm and death to the idol.
Old 01/03/2008, 05:28 AM
Registered Member

YOBOYJDIZZ - I miscounted, there's 6 tangs. I knew they can be nasty to other tangs, but didn't know if they'd bother with a fish of different species i.e when i added my trigger they ignored him. Thanks for your advice!
Old 01/03/2008, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

What tangs do you have? Six tangs a trigger probably already max out on large fish as it is anyway.
Old 01/03/2008, 05:28 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by yoboyjdizz
What tangs do you have? Six tangs a trigger probably already max out on large fish as it is anyway.
I agree. In fact, I'd argue it's probably overloaded already, or it will be soon depending on the size of the fish, especially in a 180g.

Dave
Old 01/03/2008, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

yeah you guys are right, 1 is a blue spot vlamindi, 1x lipstick naso, 1x yellow, 1x regal, 1x caribbean blue, 1x purple. I had an emporer angel in there for about 18 months until recently, eating my corals, so had to go!! I'm guessing the unicorn tang grows very big, as he's got hell of an apetite & seems to grow everyday!!
Old 01/03/2008, 08:39 PM
Team RC Member

unicorn tangs get huge, like public aquarium tank huge. I think the vlamingi and naso will outgrow your tank as well. not sure about the Caribbean blue. I have seen huge ones when I've been snorkeling...
Old 01/03/2008, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Yes the vlamingi and naso tangs need new homes. If wanting an idol i say wait until you upgrade and base your tank around the idol itself. Being one of the first addictions to your tank would help but i would wait until the tank matures a little 6 months to a year before you add it. Patience is key in this hobby. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...90#post8740890 here is a great thread for you.