Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Killer shrimp!!

A few months back I bought a coral banded shrimp. It seemed to be living nice with the other fish. Up untill about a week ago, it went on a killing spree. At least I think it hunted and killed 3 of my fish. The fish were doing great one day and then next morning I found half of it sticking out of my shrimps mouth and a big smile on his face. So I don't think the fish were already dead. Are they usualy this aggressive? Im wondering if this will become a habbit and if I should find him a new home as I am planning on going from a FOWLR tank to a reef tank. The rest of my fish are non-aggressive, reef safe, fish. Any input would help.

Thanks!
Old 01/07/2007, 02:00 PM
Here's lookin at you

MrsPuffs,

From what I can read coral banded shrimps arent generally aggressive towards fish. My guess would be that the fish died of other causes and the shrimp was just doing its job cleaning up.

How long has your tank been set up?

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 01/07/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Its been up for almost a year. I have seen this shrimp pinch other fish before that got to close to IT"S rock. But never keep hold of one or hurt one as if it were going to eat it. It did get into a stinging/pinching fight with my long tentical anemone. The shrimp stays WAY out of the way of the anemone now. If my starfish is on the rockwork, it will get picked at also but it usualy stays on the glass.
Old 01/07/2007, 02:26 PM
Here's lookin at you

Perhaps yours is just a bully. Shrimps are a poor addition in reef tank anyway IMO. They tend to eat the little things which help make your sand bed and LR live, but then again I'm kinda a sand bed guy so maybe a little biased.

In Shimeks Marine invertebrates the cbs is described as " It will actvely clean fishes" I would take this to mean not aggressive towards fish..

Old 01/07/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Im very slowly changing to a deep sand bed. I have been hand feeding my shrimp bits of tiny shrimp meat to see if that will keep it happy. I feed it just before the lights go out, when it comes out from hiding. Do you think that will work?
Old 01/07/2007, 02:38 PM
Here's lookin at you

The feeding might keep it happy enough to stay away from the fish if it is the culprit, but it will still spend the entire day picking at the sand bed and LR. Its just what they're programmed to do.

Old 01/07/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks so much for your input on this.
Old 01/07/2007, 03:34 PM
Reefer

So you really think that CBS killed your fish. How about your fish died and he was eating it. I personally would love to see some video evidence of fish killing CBS so I can send them to my fish buddies who enjoy calling my shrimp fish food.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein
Old 01/07/2007, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

I've had one in a 10 gallon with a very small clown for about a year now they were in a 75 I took down to work on the house but no problems with these two are you sure the shrimp got them and did not just find them dead they are good scavengers

Mark
Old 01/07/2007, 03:43 PM
10 & Over Club

CBS are probably the least active cleaner of the "cleaner" of the cleaner shrimp. Not only do they tend to be intolerant of other shrimp, but I have seen large ones actively take down small fish.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/07/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

My CBS, legs and all is about 6 in. long, thats not counting the LONG antennas. they alone are about 4 in long. It molted not to long ago. The fish it was eating was about an inch long.
Old 01/07/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

No Roader, im not sure if the fish had died or not. I just know that the night before, right before the lights go off, I checked all my fish as I do every night, and they ate and were active and looked good. Then one after another, 3 fish were gone. It wasnt the same night, it skipped a night. Then the 3rd night it happend again. Then 4 nights later it happend again. I did check the water to see if anything was wrong. Everything tested good. So, I have no idea what happened. What I have read on the net is that they can become aggressive when they are adults. Only it says that they become that way to other shrimp. I can't find anything about other fish.
Old 01/09/2007, 11:41 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

I've had a couple before during my first years of reefkeeping... not really good to have those.... looks nice but thats it... cleaning benefits I believe are for those of larger more aggressive fish... but CBS ARE aggressive and will attack smaller sesile individuals ie' fish and other tank mates shrimps etc...

I had one take out a large pair of skunk cleaners and bully a pair of blood shrimps and peps.. also tried to go after smaller fish like gobies...

will never get these again..

" Charles V "