Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/26/2006, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

I know it's been a while since this thread was brought up, but what were you feeding these guys? My peppermint is about ready to burst with her clutch and I was going to try to raise some. I wasn't really expected to be doing this so soon, but I don't want to miss an opportunity to try it.
Old 08/26/2006, 09:16 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

SueQ
They can take newly hatched artemia as early as D2.
Old 11/13/2006, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

It was not mentioned before because of taxonomic policies,but the scientific name of this species is Lysmata boggessi,so this series is the continuation of http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ppermint+larva
This species is the peppermint shrimp found in all Miami lfs,and is widely exported to Europe,Argentina and the Far East.
Being pale with dark tail and without well defined saddle marks,this shrimp is not as pretty as the real wurdemanni or other peppermint species.
But they are very hardy and fast and easy to raise,so I encourage people wishing to breed the difficult nice Lysmata species,to start with L.boggessi.
I just finished my second larval run with them and obtained 254 shrimps,which is a good number,better than averages of scientific institutions.
Old 11/15/2006, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Wow 250+ Any chance you can show us your grow out setup Luis?
As I understand Pepps are quite agressive. How do you stop them from killing one another?
Old 11/15/2006, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Luis,

I am also breeding L. wudemanni and L. boggessi. As you mentioned they are easy to breed until their settlement to the bottom. My problem is the grow out of these juveniles. I can get only 30 % of 2 cm juveniles from more or less 1 cm newly settled shrimps. How do you manage to clear this problem?

Bandeng
Old 11/15/2006, 07:47 PM
Reefer

Growth in Lysmata is denstiy dependant. This is to say the more you cram in a tank, the slower they will grow. You are also dealnig with some sexual hormones which can be deadly when you molt.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein
Old 11/16/2006, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Noof
Wow 250+ Any chance you can show us your grow out setup Luis?
As I understand Pepps are quite agressive. How do you stop them from killing one another?
I´m glad somebody was impressed with my results!
I put all of them in a 10 gal.with LOTS of 1/2 PVC elbows.Seem to be doing fine,if they are killing each other I didn´t notice.They are half grown and beginning to produce eggs.
Old 11/16/2006, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bandeng
Luis,

I am also breeding L. wudemanni and L. boggessi. As you mentioned they are easy to breed until their settlement to the bottom. My problem is the grow out of these juveniles. I can get only 30 % of 2 cm juveniles from more or less 1 cm newly settled shrimps. How do you manage to clear this problem?

Bandeng
Well,this is my first trial with that many shrimp juvs.Never had such a good result before.As explained before,I am trying with overcrowding and lots of hiding possibilities.I imagine I´ll have to thin the numbers as they grow.
Old 11/16/2006, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spawner
Growth in Lysmata is denstiy dependant. This is to say the more you cram in a tank, the slower they will grow. You are also dealnig with some sexual hormones which can be deadly when you molt.
Is this growth inhibitory mechanism chemical or "sociological"?.
Cause I am carbon filtering water,30 L/hr.
Old 11/16/2006, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spawner
Is this growth inhibitory mechanism chemical or "sociological"?.
Cause I am carbon filtering water,30 L/hr.
Old 11/16/2006, 01:33 PM
Moved On

Luis, the next time I am in Argentina, I am bringing my tent to your back yard, so I can spy in the windows at what you are doing. Would love to be a fly on the wall of your basement!

"growth inhibitory mechanism"

I wonder if this happens with clownfish too. I was having some problems with the smallest weakest fish in my system dying, a couple every day, until I started using a filter containing carbon and some phosphate removal stuff, and probably some other stuff. I don't know what is in this filter, but it has saved my fish and allowed me to cram more in the tanks. Not as many as Luis has in his shrimp 10g tank, but close.

How does carbon remove these things, and is it documented somewhere?
Old 11/16/2006, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy55g
Luis, the next time I am in Argentina, I am bringing my tent to your back yard, so I can spy in the windows at what you are doing. Would love to be a fly on the wall of your basement!

Will be delighted Kathy but you should set yr tent in the living room,cause I live in a building and have no backyard!
And my fish room is not in the basement,but a former storage room on the roof.
I could hire you to help cleaning up my mess
But the fly thing is a bad idea,there are spider webs on the walls!
Old 11/16/2006, 07:44 PM
Reefer

sociological; in flow through tanks they show the same response and if you put shrimp in the same system of water, but are isolated you don't get a response.

You should what this effect with cleaner shrimp; much much more pronounced.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein
Old 11/17/2006, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Is that so?In my first little batch,some of them grew to adult size while others indeed remain small.
Would taking out the larger ones be a sound practice?Individual rearing sounds too much investment/effort for this cheap shrimp
It´s like a video game,when you reach a new level,you face a new problem
Old 11/17/2006, 02:17 PM
Reefer

You just have to grade them often to keep them going. When I had several thousand of them, i'd grade them ever week or two after the first month.