Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2006, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

New food from ORA

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...2004+2035+6000

Could this be ORA´s famous secret Holy Grial?
Or just an updated Vibragro?
Old 11/10/2006, 03:19 PM
Moved On

Definitely worth giving a shot along with all the other pellets I have around (Formula 1 & 2, Spectrum, Tetra Marine, Otohime etc...) Never hurts to have more variety!

Matt
Old 11/10/2006, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Or an updated Oto?
Old 11/10/2006, 06:08 PM
Hog Obsessed

I was once told that ORA used pellet food made for them by Harbor Branch Univ.
This may very well be it.

Oama or Dustin could garner some sales if they confirm it.

Ingredients: Fish Protein Concentrate, Wheat Flour, Krill Meal, Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Flour, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Squid Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Spirulina, Paprika, Fish Oil, Astaxanthin, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Supplement), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Betaine, Choline Chloride, Ethoxyquin.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 48.0% min.
Crude Fat 8.0% min.
Crude Fiber 2.0% max.
Moisture 12.0% max.
Ash 10.0% max.
Old 11/10/2006, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baalz
That would certainly save them some money on shipping.
Old 11/11/2006, 01:17 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
That was VibraGro, which Harbor Branch later sold to RedSea. My guess, what ever non compete sales agreement that might have gone along with the sale of VibraGro has come to an end and they now have a new version.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/11/2006, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
That was VibraGro, which Harbor Branch later sold to RedSea. My guess, what ever non compete sales agreement that might have gone along with the sale of VibraGro has come to an end and they now have a new version.
That´s quite possible.However they state:" Slow-sinking pellets contain natural color enhancers to achieve vibrant color in clownfish and other saltwater fish".This,and the "glo"in the name suggest that this is the food that brings those flashy colours in ocellaris kind of ORA trademark.
selling their food could make an extra income and perhaps prevent ORA clowns to fade away in the long run,though I´m not sure it does happen.
The drawback (for ORA) would be that other commercial clown breeders could offer same fluo ocellaris that the market likes so much,though I think all ORA competence put together,represent only a small % of the market.
Guess we´re all expecting word of Oama about it.
Hate to mess with personal gossip,but wonder if some recent changes in ORA´s summit have something to do with this apparent change of policy.
Old 11/11/2006, 05:32 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Luis A M
That´s quite possible.However they state:" Slow-sinking pellets contain natural color enhancers to achieve vibrant color in clownfish and other saltwater fish".This,and the "glo"in the name suggest that this is the food that brings those flashy colours in ocellaris kind of ORA trademark.
That was the same marketing hype that went along with VibraGro when it first came out. It was marketed by Harbour Branch for about year before Red Sea brought the name and formula.

Old 11/11/2006, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
That was the same marketing hype that went along with VibraGro when it first came out. It was marketed by Harbour Branch for about year before Red Sea brought the name and formula.
You´re right,Vibra for vibrant colours!and the pic of the food in the ad reminded me of VibraGro,though this means nothing
My fish never liked VibraGro very much...
Should we try it or should we not?.Oh if Oama could only show and shed some light!
Old 11/12/2006, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
ORA has been selling this food for a fair while (May/June 2006, I can't recall exactly when at the moment). We use it in our dry food rotations.

It is marked with both "ORA" and "Harbor Branch Oceanographic" logos, though the manufacturer appears to be "Greenhouse Goods, LLC," a company I am not familiar with.

Oceans, Reefs, and Aquariums is a subsidiary of Harbor Branch Oceanographic, which is also the parent of Harbor Branch University, so I certainly don't doubt that ORA uses their foods. However, the packet itself does not explicitly state that it was developed by, nor used by, ORA.

As such, I suspect the speculation put forth by Billsreef is quite correct.
Old 11/12/2006, 11:39 AM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Luis A M
You´re right,Vibra for vibrant colours!and the pic of the food in the ad reminded me of VibraGro,though this means nothing
My fish never liked VibraGro very much...
Should we try it or should we not?.Oh if Oama could only show and shed some light!
I'm game for trying it Used to like VibraGro a lot, then I converted to New Life's Spectrum. The Spectum had better quality pellets, less waste at the end of the container. I'll be curious to see how the new ORA food compares.

Old 11/12/2006, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

At almost twice the price of C1 Oto, better work wonders
Old 11/12/2006, 12:44 PM
Reefer

Come on guys you see a good joke:

5000-20050031 Greenhouse Goods LLC Greenhouse Goods LLC
04/20/2006
Gaines, Kevin E
5600 N US Highway 1
BUSINESS PHONE: 772-468-7008
PHONE: 772-468-7008

Ha that is funny. Think about it "Greenhouse Goods"

Worth buying it just for the humor in the name.

So the question is was this the last thing that Kevin did for ORA before departing? Maybe he owns the company "Greenhouse Goods"

VibroGrow used a lot of Ulva that they had been growing for another research project. I remember the first formula's were much better than that of RedSeas mix. Maybe they HBOI is back to making there own. Either way I bet is fresh and good stuff.

I just hope this doesn't contain the same levels of NaturaRose as they use to feed there clownfish, otherwise we'll always have red glowing Nemo that never come down from there high.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein
Old 11/12/2006, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

I would try it if available in bulk at a better price but I'm certainly not buying 4 oz containers