Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/06/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

porcilin crabs! help

one of my porcilin crabs that i got yesterday is eating my ricordia polyps is this normal and what should i do any ideas on how to get them out?!?!?
Old 10/06/2007, 06:10 PM
I like the way you talk.

Not normal. Not a porcelain crab. Got pics?
I don't have any suggestion for getting it out other than the usual crab trap - a small jar set at an angle so that he can crawl in and slide down the slope, but can't get back up the slope. Bait it with a small piece of shrimp or whatever after lights out.
Old 10/06/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

I'll try and get pics but I've never posted pics before if u could tell me how. Its all redish with yellowish spots. With the trap thing. My peppermint shrimp and hermit crabs and emerald crabs all go in the bottle and would eat the food. I put a bottle in there with food for the mandarin but it never ate it so the crabs and shrimp got used to it these are new and arent very aggressive eaters. Their claws are very big compared to their size.
Old 10/06/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

I'll have to agree with PrivateJoker64. That is NOT a normal habit for a porcelain crab...
Old 10/06/2007, 08:01 PM
Brace yourself!

Porcelain crabs are filter feeders, are you sure your ID is right?
Old 10/06/2007, 08:41 PM
Keeper of Tangs

as everyone has mentioned you must not have gotten a porcelin crab. They wont eat corals they are filter feeders.
Old 10/06/2007, 10:14 PM
I like the way you talk.

Quote:
Originally posted by tcmfish
I'll try and get pics but I've never posted pics before if u could tell me how. Its all redish with yellowish spots. With the trap thing. My peppermint shrimp and hermit crabs and emerald crabs all go in the bottle and would eat the food. I put a bottle in there with food for the mandarin but it never ate it so the crabs and shrimp got used to it these are new and arent very aggressive eaters. Their claws are very big compared to their size.
The best way is to upload the to Photobucket and link to them here.
On Photobucket, click in the "Direct Link" button and your browser will copy the link. When you start a new post, look for the "IMG" button and click it. Then right click in the Text box and click "Paste", then click "OK". The pic will appear in your post.
Old 10/06/2007, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

This is a photo that came up on the first page of a Google search for 'porcelain crab' - is this what your crab looks like?

I've never heard of porcelains causing trouble; they're usually described as totally reef safe. They're filter feeders and may eat things like diatom algae off the sand (mine used to collect mitfuls of sand with his fans and clean off sand grain by grain at night), but AFAIK they're not likely to ever touch coral. I'm very curious to see a picture of your crab.

To get a rogue crab of any type out, one thing that works for many people is to set a smooth-sided glass at an angle against a rock, and bait it with some meaty food at the bottom. Crabs and other critters will climb into the glass to try and retrieve the food, but they won't be able to climb back out. It's best to do this at night IME, or your fish may just take the food and swim away.
Old 10/06/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

SEE AVATAR

<--------
<--------------
<-------------------

My porcelin crab filter feeding in GSP!