Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2005, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

need help to catch tang

I have a powder blue in my tank that seems to have a ich. I've tried a few times to catch him. Any advice on catching him. And if anyone wants to come catch him, they can have him for free. All he would need is a little quarantine time and he'd be good as new. Do those fish traps really work? I have anenome's and some corals. I dont want to pull them out if I don have to.
Old 12/04/2005, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

how big is he? I can get a fish trap and see if i can catch him... please pm me ur number
Old 12/04/2005, 12:05 PM
Moved On

those guys always ick-out, have you tried adding a cleaner shrimp or wrasse?
Old 12/04/2005, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

u got pm
Old 12/04/2005, 12:11 PM
TRC Leader

Fish traps do work, I caught a blue tang that way years ago. Here are a few more ways that might help you: How to Catch Fish and Critters in Displays .

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 12/04/2005, 12:43 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

i have a fish trap you can borrow?
Old 12/04/2005, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

I've heard neon gobies are good to take care of parasites.Is this true?
Old 12/04/2005, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

The Tang is about 4" to 5". He'll fit in a trap?
Old 12/04/2005, 12:56 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

yes it is a store bought not home made trap. you can try lick ich or no ich stuff you can buy at a store and it works really good and it is reef safe
Old 12/04/2005, 12:57 PM
Cruisin In the bad Merc

sorry that is kick ich not lick ich LOL
Old 12/04/2005, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the PM!
Let me know when you catch him and ill down right down. Try russ49merc fish trap, Im sure it will work. I borrowed one from a local fish store and it caught a fish of mine in 10 minutes!
Old 12/04/2005, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like these traps really work. I wasn't too sure if they did. I'm new at this stuff. I'll try and pick one up today. I may take you up on your offer Russ if I dont get down to the lfs today. Thanks
Old 12/04/2005, 03:10 PM
Moved On

they work best if the fish is hungery so don't feed for a day or two

How long have you had the tang?
Old 12/04/2005, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

Talking

This may not be the easiest thing to do but I did it several times with my blue tang that got ich.

I would feed him and when he came up for the food I would snatch him with a net. The trick is to hide the fish net. Best is to turn off all the lights except for the tank lights, get the net ready up over the tank but out of sight and then you got to do it in one swipe. If you miss, wait until the next day and try again.

I did this several times in order ti give him a freshwater dip. I cured him of the ich and he was COVERED in it. He is still healthy and growing Actually, I think he is indestructible because of the several fresh water dips he survived!

Anyhow, was not the simplest method to execute but it is a simple method and worked for me... Good luck! I'd come by and take him but I already have a Powder Blue

Gerry
Old 12/04/2005, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

That kick ich can be put directly into my tank? It wont hurt my anenome's or corals? I also have a small snowflake eel too?
Old 12/04/2005, 11:43 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Not sure if this is proven or not but it cured my tang. I went to the store and bought garlic oil pills in the vitamin section (must be the gell tabs). Then I poked a hole in one and squeezed the oil onto a sheet of dried nori seaweed. I let the nori absorb the garlic oil for an hour and then hung it by a clip in the tank. The fish ate this despite the garlic and after a couple days of feeding the ich started going away.

WARNING: The garlic odor is REALLY intense from these capsules. Only open the bottle and break the capsule outside. Also wear latex gloves unless you want your hands to smell like garlic for days. If you happen to have a syringe with the needle you can use that to draw the oil out of the capsule instead of breaking it. I also stored the pieces of nori in a closed container outside... after my girlfriend almost left me for stinking up the whole house

As a side note regarding Powder Blues, they will always get ich if not fed constantly. Twice a day feedings is what I found to be the only way to keep that variety happy and ich free.
Old 12/05/2005, 06:12 PM
I done killed it

Hook lone and sinker!
Old 12/05/2005, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

I just caught 3 chromis with the clar plastig bag + food trick. Worked flawlessly first try, and three were caught along with my tang. So I actually got 4 fish at one time.