Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Can anyone give me some advice on keeping a school?

Hello everyone, I am looking at keeping a small group of False Perc's. I am thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 6. I would like them all to be false percula clowns. Everything I have read says that they will grow up to become one dominant female and a bunch of males with one of them beeing the dominant or mated male. Does anyone know of any problems with this idea? Can this many clowns be kept together?

Thanks
jeremy
Old 12/29/2007, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

How big's the tank going to be? I've read more often they do better in odd numbers, and usually there will be 1 dominant female, one male, and the rest sexually immature. But I wouldn't do it unless you have a fairly decent sized tank.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/29/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

It is a 44 Pentagon. How many clowns could I put in there? I was ust trying to keep it a clown specific tank but that might not be an option.. I was just looking for some opinions..

THanks
Jeremy
Old 12/29/2007, 01:47 PM
Losing my mind

IMO it's not big enough, and if it's the dimensions I'm thinking there's not much horizontal swimming room. I'd only get a pair of something that you like, don't try a school, they wouldn't be happy. Hope this helps
Old 12/29/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

That does help, Maybe I will just try to get a mated pair of false percs then... Thanks for the input.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Stick with 2 (pair them up). An odd number might end up in a fight between one or two. I would not go above 2 for sure in a tank that small.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

i think you should do it. these are pretty small fish with very small territories. i agree the horizontal space just isn't there, that is your biggest limiting factor. if you have a good amount of vertical rockwork this could help. dunno...good luck.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobtail1075
It is a 44 Pentagon. How many clowns could I put in there? I was ust trying to keep it a clown specific tank but that might not be an option.. I was just looking for some opinions..

THanks
Jeremy
I tried five in a similar sized tank, ended with one dead, one dominant pair, and two fish hiding under rocks. I'd never seen a clownfish hide in a blenny hole until then. Good luck.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your opinions. i think I am gonna look into just getting a mated pair of false perc's. What would you guys suggject to go with these 2 clowns. I have had such a real hard time finding fish that can go into a 44 pentagon tank.

Thanks
jeremy
Old 12/30/2007, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

I have 2 occellaris clowns in my 45g cube, they're buddied up w/ a blue/green chromis and a yellow clown goby. I'm going to find some type of algae eating blenny too since they have so much personality.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/31/2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobtail1075
Thank you everyone for your opinions. i think I am gonna look into just getting a mated pair of false perc's. What would you guys suggject to go with these 2 clowns. I have had such a real hard time finding fish that can go into a 44 pentagon tank.

Thanks
jeremy
I now have a pair of True Percs, two purple firefish, a yasha hase goby, and a lawnmower blenny. Why do you want a mated pair of fish? Are you going to raise the fry? If I were you I'd just get two fish that look healthy at the LFS and put them in together; you'll be fine, and you'll save a bunch of money.

I'd look at picking a blenny and/or goby to go with your clowns. My blenny, while the least colorful in the tank, is probably the most popular with visitors. They consistently have a ton of personality, and are very active. I rarely see my yasha hase goby, although you could pair one with a pistol shrimp like most people do and have a real neat duo to watch in your tank. Lastly, check out regular firefish and purple firefish. Very beautiful, and dont require all that much space!
Old 12/31/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Cool, I will read up on those fish and then make my fish list soon.. Thanks everyone for all the help.